SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-23, 08:56 PM   #3916
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 Heavy metal where it counts... if it's attached to the boat!??

Having had to drop anchor in great haste in the treacherous Carquinez Strait on one occasion myself- having run out of fuel 500 feet off the marina entrance in a 10+ knot ebbtide with a rocky shore 50' to port and a great bridge footing 200 yards astern: as all skippers know, the anchor is the 'soul of the ship':

And after waiting for the yearly-fee boat-tow service for two hours....we couldn't recover the anchor and had to cut the line! As the 200' line swiftly paid out in the current; and at the last 10 feet , I only then noticed that, sitting in it's flush deck-locker unused for 7 years, it wasn't connected to the boat and I barely got it cleated just in time using deck mooring cleat and the bow-pulpit pipe to arrest the powerless Catalina's rearward drift
Quote:
You enter the narrow 50 yard wide channel between the jetties under power. A brisk cross-channel wind and current make steering a challenge. All of a sudden at the worst possible moment–your engine sputters and dies! Desperate now, you lean down and push the starter button–nothing doing. You send your sailing partner forward to get the anchor over the side. Your partner yells back that the anchor line has tangled and jammed! The jetty rocks to port–like a Great White’s gaping mouth–loom closer and closer…

Is your sailboat anchor and her ground tackle ready to deploy in ten seconds or less? In an emergency that might be how long you have to get it down and get it set!

Paper or Metal Insurance Policy?

Forget about paper insurance policies. When you need insurance nothing beats a well tested boat anchor to keep you from disaster. But there’s a lot more to it than that. Without the proper ground tackle–all the parts of the umbilical cord between the boat and the anchor–your anchor might as well be down below in the cabin.

Consider that in an emergency, you may have just ten seconds to get your anchor over the side.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-05-23 at 09:12 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-23, 09:54 PM   #3917
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Having had to drop anchor in great haste in the treacherous Carquinez Strait on one occasion myself- having run out of fuel 500 feet off the marina entrance in a 10+ knot ebbtide with a rocky shore 50' to port and a great bridge footing 200 yards astern: as all skippers know, the anchor is the 'soul of the ship':

And after waiting for the yearly-fee boat-tow service for two hours....we couldn't recover the anchor and had to cut the line! As the 200' line swiftly paid out in the current; and at the last 10 feet , I only then noticed that, sitting in it's flush deck-locker unused for 7 years, it wasn't connected to the boat and I barely got it cleated just in time using deck mooring cleat and the bow-pulpit pipe to arrest the powerless Catalina's rearward drift
lol.

there are just too many snarky/humorous responses available at this point especially between ex-USN types.

seriously, were you steaming to Sacramento when you went afoul of fuel and the wind?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 06:22 AM   #3918
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 01:23 PM   #3919
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
lol.

there are just too many snarky/humorous responses available at this point especially between ex-USN types.

seriously, were you steaming to Sacramento when you went afoul of fuel and the wind?
No, we were just off Vallejo, slightly east of the I-80 Carqinez bridges returning eastbound from our every-Friday sailing(8 years!) in the SF Bay. Within hailing distance of the marina entrance, the motor sputtered and died as the evening ebbtide tide & the Sacramento River's 10-knot current combo forced us rearward. With absolutely no wind to even unfurl the 150% jib (my job as bowman), our only recourse was to swiftly drop anchor and summon the tow service. The boat being old, (5000.lbs) I didn't trust just one mooring cleat, so I threw a loop around the bow-pulpit pipe, and later the mast-base also. In two hours, having hauled the boat back up 150' directly over the anchor site, the tide probably got the anchor under a log; and when the tow vessel finally arrived, the 50lb. kedge was unretrievable for both of us pulling together. So we had to cut it...I saved 150' of very old line. Lesson learned: this was the first time I'd actually opened the anchor locker, much less used the thing!!? We were lucky! In 52 years of sailing, incl. a '69 summer as an 18 year-old YMCA instructor, this was my first open-water emergency anchoring.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-06-23 at 01:41 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 04:47 PM   #3920
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
No, we were just off Vallejo, slightly east of the I-80 Carqinez bridges returning eastbound from our every-Friday sailing(8 years!) in the SF Bay. Within hailing distance of the marina entrance, the motor sputtered and died as the evening ebbtide tide & the Sacramento River's 10-knot current combo forced us rearward. With absolutely no wind to even unfurl the 150% jib (my job as bowman), our only recourse was to swiftly drop anchor and summon the tow service. The boat being old, (5000.lbs) I didn't trust just one mooring cleat, so I threw a loop around the bow-pulpit pipe, and later the mast-base also. In two hours, having hauled the boat back up 150' directly over the anchor site, the tide probably got the anchor under a log; and when the tow vessel finally arrived, the 50lb. kedge was unretrievable for both of us pulling together. So we had to cut it...I saved 150' of very old line. Lesson learned: this was the first time I'd actually opened the anchor locker, much less used the thing!!? We were lucky! In 52 years of sailing, incl. a '69 summer as an 18 year-old YMCA instructor, this was my first open-water emergency anchoring.
lmao....why didnt you ride the tide out the Golden Gate and on to Honolulu?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-23, 06:33 AM   #3921
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-10-23, 07:38 AM   #3922
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-11-23, 05:30 AM   #3923
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-12-23, 09:19 AM   #3924
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-14-23, 06:53 AM   #3925
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-15-23, 08:45 AM   #3926
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-16-23, 06:20 AM   #3927
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-18-23, 02:52 PM   #3928
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-19-23, 08:34 AM   #3929
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-20-23, 06:50 AM   #3930
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat