SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-22, 02:40 PM   #1
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Default Editing Crew Size

Hi All, Happy Christmas with wishes for Good Health and Prosperity for 2023.

Am currently in a Soviet Waterways Baltic Sea career but have issues with the crew size of some Red Fleet boats. My Type V bis has a crew of 72-all ranks but this should be only 36 tops. I don't think that crew size affects CO2 buildup so any changes would be essentially cosmetic unless crew size has other game play effects. Going to the Crew Management screen and seeing all of those smiling faces - twice as many as there should be - is a bit jarring but to be fair, I doubt that setting the actual number would have a huge effect on commanding the boat.

So the change would be essentially aesthetic rather than operational.

I went through the NSS folder and the Crew.cfg files for the type and curiously, the crew all have German names but since these are rendered in Cyrillic on the screens, which I cannot read anyway, this may just be a function of deliberate choices by the Mod's author(s) to save work.

I would also like to change the Officer, Petty Officer mix to add more Ensigns (as Mitchmen) and fewer senior Petty Officers as per Soviet Navy manning conventions.

None of this is huge but I am willing to tinker and if I can get the ShSch V bis down to 36-men, I could probably edit the other classes and maybe offer the fixes as a Mod.

Thanks in advance for any assistence.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 03:06 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Look in the Data /Submarine /NSS_SubName.upc(ge) file, and each of the "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment X.CrewMemberSlot X] lines hold your crewmember's slots. The "X" in those are variables, with the Compartments from 1-9 and the CrewMemberSlot from 1-16 or however many there are in the compartment. You might also want to go through the conning tower (turm) files and do similar, but those are numbered differently. Look in the Data /UPCData(GE) /UPCUnitsData /UnitParts#SubName.upc files, with the "#" being the sub number. The crew member there are in several locations, depending upon the conning tower in use as "[UnitPart X.Compartment X.CrewMemberSlot X]", with the "X" again a variable with there being multiple UnitParts, one for each conning tower or turm, generally the three compartments, which is one for the interior crew, and one for each of the exterior AA guns, and one slot for each crew member the boat carries. Be sure and build yourself a mod for testing, because mistakes can lead to CTDs or strange anomalies...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 03:15 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Hi All, Happy Christmas with wishes for Good Health and Prosperity for 2023.

Am currently in a Soviet Waterways Baltic Sea career but have issues with the crew size of some Red Fleet boats. My Type V bis has a crew of 72-all ranks but this should be only 36 tops. I don't think that crew size affects CO2 buildup so any changes would be essentially cosmetic unless crew size has other game play effects. Going to the Crew Management screen and seeing all of those smiling faces - twice as many as there should be - is a bit jarring but to be fair, I doubt that setting the actual number would have a huge effect on commanding the boat.

So the change would be essentially aesthetic rather than operational.

I went through the NSS folder and the Crew.cfg files for the type and curiously, the crew all have German names but since these are rendered in Cyrillic on the screens, which I cannot read anyway, this may just be a function of deliberate choices by the Mod's author(s) to save work.

I would also like to change the Officer, Petty Officer mix to add more Ensigns (as Mitchmen) and fewer senior Petty Officers as per Soviet Navy manning conventions.

None of this is huge but I am willing to tinker and if I can get the ShSch V bis down to 36-men, I could probably edit the other classes and maybe offer the fixes as a Mod.

Thanks in advance for any assistence.

-C
PB gave you a solution for the crew size issue.

if you want to change the names that the crew is assigned, browse to \Data\UPCDataGE\UPCCrewData\CrewMembersNames.upc.
make a copy of that file before you attempt to change it.
use a plain text editor such as Notepad to edit the names, following the pattern within the file.
i am not sure why there are three separate sections but i can tell you that there are other files that use this file as a reference so do not remove any sections such as section 2 or 3 leaving only number 1.
there is no harm is having each section contain the same last and first names.

good luck, Herr Kaleun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-22, 03:21 PM   #4
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Awesome, Thank You, Gentlemen!