SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-21, 06:51 AM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Boat takes damage for no apparent reason

April/May 1942. So I'm running on the surface headed north into the Sulu Sea enroute to my patrol area (under TC) when I hear a tinkling noise and start receiving reports of damage. Dropped to 1x TC but no enemies about - no aircraft, ships and I couldn't spot a shore battery on the map.
This was the deep water passage between Borneo and Tawi-Tawi.
Any ideas?
Using FotRSU mod.

Last edited by Zero Niner; 12-15-21 at 07:00 AM.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 07:27 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
April/May 1942. So I'm running on the surface headed north into the Sulu Sea enroute to my patrol area (under TC) when I hear a tinkling noise and start receiving reports of damage. Dropped to 1x TC but no enemies about - no aircraft, ships and I couldn't spot a shore battery on the map.
Any ideas?
Using FotRSU mod.
How close were you, to land at either of them locations... Borneo & tawi tawi...

Not gonna swear to it, but.. if it is in the area I am thinking... & with the date in question there.... sounds like you had a deck gun crew (on land, no less...) that had a sniper scope on their gun mount.

Am, figuring you were at least 9 nm's from land... at most... or a bit closer in than that, when that occurred.

I remember getting sniper shot in just that manner... though when it happened with Me... was 20-2100 hrs, early '42... near or in the Bungo straits area... which, if am NOT mistaken, sounds about where you were at the time.

M. M.
Old 12-15-21, 12:55 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are shore guns in FotRSU, but they don't come on-line until September 1942:

April / May 1942, I would suspect that your SD was not on (T key), and a Zero came along, or maybe a Pete and landed a 100kg bomb on your boat. If it had been a Betty or Mavis, they would hit you some more until you cried. Your crew didn't spot them, and only having the one bomb, the plane buzzed-off as your TC came to 1x. Either that, or a patrol craft of one form or another was nearby and sent some rounds at you. Usually speaking though, they would follow-up the attack, and be attempting to chase you. Either way, if your crew doesn't spot them, you will not drop out of TC. In that situation, you only drop out when the damage is done. The higher the TC, the worse it gets. Just remember that at 1024xTC, each second is actually over 17 minutes of game time. While the computer is in control of the game, it does not drop instantaneously. You can travel quite a distance at 9 knots in 17 minutes, and no longer have something in visual contact, if you ever did have visual... Do not travel during daylight hours on the surface at high TC when in enemy territory. In fact, there will be no investigation, this will go directly to trial and you will be found guilty of negligence and endangerment in a courts martial hearing. Find yourself a good JAG, or prepare thyself for keel-hauling as punishment. You had standing orders from ComSubsAF concerning this....

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 02:03 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There are shore guns in FotRSU, but they don't come on-line until September 1942:

April / May 1942, I would suspect that your SD was not on (T key), and a Zero came along, or maybe a Pete and landed a 100kg bomb on your boat. If it had been a Betty or Mavis, they would hit you some more until you cried. Your crew didn't spot them, and only having the one bomb, the plane buzzed-off as your TC came to 1x. Either that, or a patrol craft of one form or another was nearby and sent some rounds at you. Usually speaking though, they would follow-up the attack, and be attempting to chase you. Either way, if your crew doesn't spot them, you will not drop out of TC. In that situation, you only drop out when the damage is done. The higher the TC, the worse it gets. Just remember that at 1024xTC, each second is actually over 17 minutes of game time. While the computer is in control of the game, it does not drop instantaneously. You can travel quite a distance at 9 knots in 17 minutes, and no longer have something in visual contact, if you ever did have visual... Do not travel during daylight hours on the surface at high TC when in enemy territory. In fact, there will be no investigation, this will go directly to trial and you will be found guilty of negligence and endangerment in a courts martial hearing. Find yourself a good JAG, or prepare thyself for keel-hauling as punishment. You had standing orders from ComSubsAF concerning this....
In My case... & in My defense...

It may have been later on in '42... as that was with v1.39, or perhaps v1.46... & the ol' memory banks ain't quite as thrifty, much less 100% trusty, as they once were... as I know you know, all too well... propbeanie, ol' chap... :03

2nd point, when it occurred for Me... it was nighttime.. was making the passage through that narrow spittoon of waterway, at... 2/3's, recharging batteries... needless to say, I popped the plug, made due haste from that narrow channel & surfaced a couple of hours later... batteries redrained back to where they were, before that incident.

Managed to recharge them enough to safely submerge again, just as dawn was beginning to make itself known.

M. M.
Old 12-15-21, 03:51 PM   #5
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

I had this occur to me in "The Slot" near Guadalcanal when I was patrolling it once, though I heard no sounds or anything just that it sounded like I ran into something but never saw anything. I run FotRS so I don't know if there are any coast guns on either side of The Slot in late 1942 but I never ran into anything after that. So I guess I ran into like a really tall rock, a log, a whale, or like a midget sub haha.
Old 12-15-21, 04:20 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
Any ideas?
Using FotRSU mod.

First thought is shore batteries, just outside your visual range.

Second thought is hit a small plot of land, but did not run aground, glanced it, have had that happen off China coast before, plenty of those little islands in SW pacific as well.

Third, is submerged AI enemy submarine torpedoed you? They are present in FOTRS and now TMO as well. I've yet be torpedoed in either mod, but had some close calls, by a enemy submarine but I recall in SH 4 torpedoes hitting your sub do not cause the damage to player sub would expect i.e. does not outright sink your sub as it should.

Possible running at TC your sensors did not detect the sub before it fired and thus seems like it came from nowhere.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 04:34 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

Second thought is hit a small plot of land, but did not run aground, glanced it, have had that happen off China coast before, plenty of those little islands in SW pacific as well.

Third, is submerged AI enemy submarine torpedoed you? They are present in FOTRS and now TMO as well. I've yet be torpedoed in either mod, but had some close calls, by a enemy submarine but I recall in SH 4 torpedoes hitting your sub do not cause the damage to player sub would expect i.e. does not outright sink your sub as it should.

Possible running at TC your sensors did not detect the sub before it fired and thus seems like it came from nowhere.
*sighs*

Leave it to chalk up another thing, that Ubi, screwed the pooch on...

Lack of any getting message/s of enemy fire incoming.

If you're NOT in high TC... only warning you'll end up getting, is that of the crew, yelling out... "We're taking damage/s, Sir.!"

Otherwise... if you're rolling like a cannonball in any TC setting other than 1TC... you won't know squat, until after the fact... & in some cases... too dang late to do anything, except learn how to be a fish... (See "Incredible Mr. Limpet"... )

M. M.
Old 12-17-21, 01:52 PM   #8
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Coastal guns.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-21, 02:33 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
*sighs*

Leave it to chalk up another thing, that Ubi, screwed the pooch on...

Lack of any getting message/s of enemy fire incoming.

If you're NOT in high TC... only warning you'll end up getting, is that of the crew, yelling out... "We're taking damage/s, Sir.!"

Otherwise... if you're rolling like a cannonball in any TC setting other than 1TC... you won't know squat, until after the fact... & in some cases... too dang late to do anything, except learn how to be a fish... (See "Incredible Mr. Limpet"... )

M. M.
"If you're NOT in high TC... only warning you'll end up getting, is that of the crew, yelling out... "We're taking damage/s, Sir.!"..."

post edit: Well... that & hearing the sound of glass breaking, impact noise... & the like associated sounds of damage, being taken... in addition to the shouts of... fear/anxiety from the crew... just to clarify that... comment.
Old 12-17-21, 05:52 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

another possibility is mines.
i'm playing TMO_BH and he has mine fields all over the place.

i was on patrol in the ECS. two weeks. on the RTB i took a different route near Okinawa and blam!
WTF!
we were no where close to land so the damage could not have come from a land based weapon.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-21, 06:03 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
another possibility is mines.
i'm playing TMO_BH and he has mine fields all over the place.

i was on patrol in the ECS. two weeks. on the RTB i took a different route near Okinawa and blam!
WTF!
we were no where close to land so the damage could not have come from a land based weapon.
If that occurred, in a sea area that was... better than 1k+ deep... then in all likelihood, you took a torp hit, that didn't get caught by your sonar op...

Think with mines, that they were laid no deeper than 1k deep (think propbeanie showed a screenie of just off the UK eastern sea side, of a minefield laid by them, in the... Op. Monsun : Dark thread... I believe... ), not out in 1K+... that doesn't account for the fact... that some of them, could... become unanchored where they were dropped. as that could & did happen... I believe... seem to recall reading or hearing on 1 of the books on audio I used to listen to... about things related to WW2.

M. M.
Old 12-17-21, 06:09 PM   #12
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If that occurred, in a sea area that was... better than 1k+ deep... then in all likelihood, you took a torp hit, that didn't get caught by your sonar op...

Think with mines, that they were laid no deeper than 1k deep (think propbeanie showed a screenie of just off the UK eastern sea side, of a minefield laid by them, in the... Op. Monsun : Dark thread... I believe... ), not out in 1K+... that doesn't account for the fact... that some of them, could... become unanchored where they were dropped. as that could & did happen... I believe... seem to recall reading or hearing on 1 of the books on audio I used to listen to... about things related to WW2.

M. M.
we were surface cruising, so a torpedo hit is possible.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-21, 08:07 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

For Zero Niner's OP, not a torperdo unless it came from a DD or airplane. We do not have the submerged Japanese submarine in FotRSU, since the sonar cannot pick-up the sound, and your watch crew cannot see the wake -AND- there is no vocal or text warning attached to them. That leaves the Event Camera as your only warning device, if the game isn't too busy, and then you see a sub launching a torp, and since you aren't doing it... someone else has to be doing it... now to find it. So you would have to get to the sonar station, find it and take -BLAM- evasive action... We will have them as an optional add-in before long, but that is a lot of work for just the one sub. In the meantime, no shore guns, nor mines, since they aren't active there just yet, so it had to be an airplane, since the skies are crawling with them at the time, with the Japanese advancing into that area just then...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-21, 08:38 PM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
For Zero Niner's OP, not a torperdo unless it came from a DD or airplane. We do not have the submerged Japanese submarine in FotRSU, since the sonar cannot pick-up the sound, and your watch crew cannot see the wake -AND- there is no vocal or text warning attached to them. That leaves the Event Camera as your only warning device, if the game isn't too busy, and then you see a sub launching a torp, and since you aren't doing it... someone else has to be doing it... now to find it. So you would have to get to the sonar station, find it and take -BLAM- evasive action... We will have them as an optional add-in before long, but that is a lot of work for just the one sub. In the meantime, no shore guns, nor mines, since they aren't active there just yet, so it had to be an airplane, since the skies are crawling with them at the time, with the Japanese advancing into that area just then...
Isn't there a sound byte... "Torpedo in the water.", if memory serves Me right... couldn't that byte, be edited to have for it to be attached to an enemy launching a torp... no matter even if, it was an aircraft, a DD, or an enemy sub... to sound off & say... "Enemy torpedo in the water."...

that, then leaves just the text message warning to show up in the Commands box (that box, that follows you, no matter where in or on the boat that you go... ), where you see the messages stating that you've received flash traffic... or confirmation of orders given like 1/3 ahead... the chief repeats that order...

M. M.