SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-21, 01:44 AM   #1
kacpro090
Sailor man

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default Trying to move SH4 out of Program Files (x86)

Hello,
I bought the Steam version of SH4 alongside the U-boat missions on steam and I want to move the whole installation of SH4 (with U-boat missions) to a directory outside of Program Files (x86) on my main C drive.
I could move the game installation from steam, but it only works when having other drives, sadly I only have an SSD C drive.

So, I only want to move the SH4 installation (with U-boat missions) outside of C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam etc.. to a directory directly on C drive, for example: C:/Ubisoft or C:/Games

Any help will be apperciated!
kacpro090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-21, 03:20 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacpro090 View Post
Hello,
I bought the Steam version of SH4 alongside the U-boat missions on steam and I want to move the whole installation of SH4 (with U-boat missions) to a directory outside of Program Files (x86) on my main C drive.
I could move the game installation from steam, but it only works when having other drives, sadly I only have an SSD C drive.

So, I only want to move the SH4 installation (with U-boat missions) outside of C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam etc.. to a directory directly on C drive, for example: C:/Ubisoft or C:/Games

Any help will be apperciated!
Quickest solution for a solo HD drive set up... (warning, this will get... rather painful, especially... if you have a good # of games via Steam... NOT gonna lie... )

1st off, wipe out the library repository of games... (don't worry, as Steam, keeps a backup listing of what games you have that were bought & paid for. I know.. as I use Steam & did this, but with a 2 HD set up... with an external, just recently added into the mix & am fairly confident this WILL work, for a solo HD drive set up... )

Once done there, next step is to wipe out the Launchers install... then follow up with running CCleaner, if you don't have it, a simple google search will point the way to it. It is a free 2 use tool. Download, install then Run the basic settings set up of "custom clean (which is set up with default settings, is good to go from the rip.)

After that finishes... then run "Registry cleaner" 2 tabs down, left hand side, nenu window for CCleaner. Will simply say "Registry".

After running that, you're NOW ready to reinstall Steam Launcher.

1st, in C: directory, create new folder there, named "Games" (minus the " marks, mind you. )

In that folder, you just created... create 2 more...

1. named "Launchers" (again... minus the " marks, mind you. )
2. "Libraries" (This folder, as with the others... remember to leave off the " marks, for one... & with this folder, will be where you tell Steam, to send your games to, from here on out. This, removes the launcher & the libraries... & the games from Steam (& also usable with Ubisoft, Arc or any other games provider, that makes you use them "launchers & libraries" to play games you've paid for...) out of UAC's, iron fisted, Darth Vader, King Kong death grip... for ease of modding them.

Would further add, in Steams \common folder, if you are going to roll with more than 1 modded copy of SH4, that you consider... the following means & methodology for doing so.

1st... do your initial install of SH4. do NOT run until you have done the following steps...

1. Right click the in new install folder of SH4, SH4's .exe, select properties & in that menu that opens, go to "attributes" bottom of the General tab page (which by default, should be the page you need any way. )

Ensure that "write only" box is uncheck marked & click accept.

Next...

Go to "Compatibility" tab & click on it.

In that menu, look for & check "Run in compatibility mode", click on the box that states "Windows XP (default selection thanks to Windows Microshaf... erhm, Microsoft. ) In the list that will open up, scroll through & find and selct "Windows 7".

After this, look down a bit, just under that section there, & find "Run this program, as an Admin". Check that box for that.

After that, click accept & Ok, as you are now done.

After that is done... you are free & clear to run SH4, for the 1st time, since you re-installed it. This ensures that everything it needs, is set up & installed.

In the game, once it loads, go into options, graphics settings & select your screens native resolution & any other options short of... sync & volumetric (all the other options are safe to choose to use, if you want to... that is. ) ... select "apply changes" & close SH4 out.

Done.

Do NOT mod this copy. Tis your NOW pristine, virgin, GOLD standard, go to folder from which to copy the guts from & paste drop into a new folder (named to whatever mega mod set you may choose to go with... like say... Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, or Bubblehead1980's reworked & overhauled "TMOverhauled v2.5X"... or running it as stock with a few minor enhancement mods... your choice here.

In \common folder, create a folder named, "SH-mega mods", in that folder, create 1 named "SH3-megamods" it is this folder that you'll create any folders for modded copies of SH3 you may care to make (should you chose to do so... following the same set up for SH4 copies, in the following:

"SH4-megamods". In there, create & name according to what mod set or mods you're going to roll with... for example... "FotRS-U". Copy the guts from that pristine copy of SH4, open "FotRS-U", right click & select... "paste". That drops a copy of SH4 there, now ready to mod as you want to. Eazy...

To use mods & do that, make sure to use JSGME, to activate & inactivate any mods added in... MultiSH4, so as to give the new modded copy, it's own game saves folder (using 3 letter/number combo so to make it easy to remember if you ever forget what folder is, its own save folder... just reopen MultiSH4... it'll tattle on where it is... )

Drop those into the mods folder you need them at... & then just follow the directions for their use...

& Last but not least... use Large Address Aware, to set up the .exe so as to run with 4 GB's of RAM... instead of the paltry 2, that Win, doles out miserly... Is a simple, easy to use tool to do that. 3 steps & done... with LAA, as some refer to it by... set into basic mode.

1. point LAA to where the games .exe is located.
2. check the box to tell Win, to grant it 4 GBs of RAM.
3. Click "save' &... voila... Done.

Eazy, peazy... mac & cheezy...

So simple, a cave man could do it... sorry My weird sense of humor...

Ok, with that, this should be what you need to get everything set up & rolling.

All other games, that do NOT need launchers to start them up to play, can just get installed straight into the C:\Games folder... & this will put them outta UAC's grip, as well.

Hope this info helps... & I didn't confuzzled you in the outlining of the directions... to do all that.

M. M.
Old 12-25-21, 04:24 AM   #3
kacpro090
Sailor man

Thanks for the tutorial. Much appreciated.

Last edited by kacpro090; 12-25-21 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-25-21, 04:56 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Thanks for the tutorial. Much appreciated.

Welcome. Hope it proves useful for you, kacpro090...

M. M.
Old 12-25-21, 05:05 AM   #5
kacpro090
Sailor man

Update:
I found a new way to do this without all of this removing stuff you said in your post.
I found it on Reddit, (link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comme...me_drive_2021/)
Basically you need a pendrive, then you create a steam library there, you cut and past it onto the C drive, then edit few steam .vdf files and you are done.

I will post an tutorial for others soon to make this more straight.
Old 12-25-21, 05:24 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Update:
I found a new way to do this without all of this removing stuff you said in your post.
I found it on Reddit, (link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comme...me_drive_2021/)
Basically you need a pendrive, then you create a steam library there, you cut and past it onto the C drive, then edit few steam .vdf files and you are done.

I will post an tutorial for others soon to make this more straight.
*shrugs* Go with either method... but, know that the method I outlined, provides for a fresh, clean install & surety of it being for definite, out of UAC's iron fisted grip... which does NOT like files & folders in it's control... being tampered with. Modding, is by ipso DeFacto, is tampering with files & such inside of SH4 (or any other game, for that matter... ).

Your call, there... but, you have My outline, should you need to fall back on it.

Fair winds, smooth seas...

M. M.
Old 12-25-21, 04:39 PM   #7
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

I just copy the whole folder then add multish4 1.5 JSGME and Large address aware and the particular mod. I use a separate folder for each mod. It's in program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/wolves of the pacific

Just copy a fresh install from there to wherever you want. and make a shortcut. Use multish4 so you don't have conflicting save games
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote