SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-09, 09:17 AM   #1
clive bradbury
Captain

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 0
Default SC sonar experiments

With reference to previous conversations regarding TA sonar effectiveness in SC, I can now report the conclusions to a series of tests I ran. These were based on a submerged platform well out in the Atlantic, i.e. deep water and hopefully no sonar 'distractions', tracking a tanker travelling at 10 knots. Sub also moving at round 10 knots, or alternatively the maximum speed which did not interfere with the TA.

Conclusions

The starboard TA of the stock playable subs are effectively identical - they all detected the ship at about 60nm out. Whichever platform you select, the TA result is the same. Smiliarly, I tried the Trafalgar class and the late Typhoon, and their TAs detected the target at the same range.

I also tried the SCU 1975 Sturgeon, and its TA was not as effective - it was about 50nm out when the target showed up.

I then tried using the SCEdit to tweak the TA capabilities to improve them. I tried several different parameters, as the SCEdit does not fully explain what the numbers associated with the TA are.

Absolutely no difference. Conclusion - the TA capabilities of player platforms cannot be adjusted - at least not by me.
clive bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 01:40 PM   #2
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive bradbury View Post
With reference to previous conversations regarding TA sonar effectiveness in SC, I can now report the conclusions to a series of tests I ran. These were based on a submerged platform well out in the Atlantic, i.e. deep water and hopefully no sonar 'distractions', tracking a tanker travelling at 10 knots. Sub also moving at round 10 knots, or alternatively the maximum speed which did not interfere with the TA.

Conclusions

The starboard TA of the stock playable subs are effectively identical - they all detected the ship at about 60nm out. Whichever platform you select, the TA result is the same. Smiliarly, I tried the Trafalgar class and the late Typhoon, and their TAs detected the target at the same range.

I also tried the SCU 1975 Sturgeon, and its TA was not as effective - it was about 50nm out when the target showed up.

I then tried using the SCEdit to tweak the TA capabilities to improve them. I tried several different parameters, as the SCEdit does not fully explain what the numbers associated with the TA are.

Absolutely no difference. Conclusion - the TA capabilities of player platforms cannot be adjusted - at least not by me.
We can only cry - that nothing has changed since then...