SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-14, 05:10 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Do you know Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm, Players Edition?

Anyone knowing it? Would be intrested in feedback, I consider to buy it. Hexfield Cosim, 1 hex=500m, Cold War era - thats the way to get me hooked.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...er%27s.Edition

Steam offers it in sales until 2nd January for 27 Euros.

It got very positive reviews, apparently a very good AI, plenty of detail, and a unique phase system that varies the frequency at which you can giver orders to your units, depending on the state of organization, communication, and overall battle situation.

Think I go after this one anyway. I am looking for a replacement of Steel Panthers MBT since a long time, due to its age and inferior AI. Is this it?

http://grogheads.com/?p=2804

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...gns-red-storm/

Last edited by Skybird; 12-30-14 at 05:42 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 05:17 PM   #2
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

There are a few video AARs created.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rr49TWbQDvct6n

There is also a demo for a older version that will give you the feel for the game.
http://grogheads.com/downloads/Flash...etup-Promo.exe

It is moderately buggy, but you can decide for yourself.

Should you decide to buy it, go through Matrix as the Steam version is having lots of problems with the PBEM system.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 05:51 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Interest for PBEM is zero. Anything else about the steam version I should know? Lacking updates and patches , or something? It is very much cheaper than at Matrix (which is no surprise, everybody is cheaper than Matrix... )

P.S. Thanks so far!

Last edited by Skybird; 12-30-14 at 06:06 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 06:18 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Investigating the PBEM in the Steam forums anyway, it seems the missing serial number issue is being solved, and players can engage in pbem now !?
Old 12-30-14, 07:40 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
There is also a demo for a older version that will give you the feel for the game.
http://grogheads.com/downloads/Flash...etup-Promo.exe
FYI, be advised that demo file triggered three scanner alarms over here: G-Data, Bullguard, and the extra scan I did with Avira.

Could be false positive due to the exe maybe containign aggressive advertising, could be the possible aggressive advertising being a bit too aggressive, could be something really malwarish.

Desinfected and deleted. Nevertheless, not your fault, so thanks anyway.
Old 12-30-14, 08:52 PM   #6
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Interest for PBEM is zero. Anything else about the steam version I should know? Lacking updates and patches , or something? It is very much cheaper than at Matrix (which is no surprise, everybody is cheaper than Matrix... )

P.S. Thanks so far!
If you buy from Matrix, you will get a Steam key for free. It does not work the other way around.

There are other problems encountered with the Steam version. I helped a few guys out who bought the Steam version. They couldn't save games no matter how many times they verified the cache with the Steam function. We finally fixed it by getting them to uninstall, delete everything, and then re-install. Even then, it wasn't perfect, but it worked. So, yeah, I think that there are major problems with the Steam update process.

If you will never play PBEM, then you might not miss the Steam problems as much. The lack of serial number is only one of the numerous problems. Even those with a serial number get rejected and have to work-around the problem. There are not that many scenarios. If you only play against the AI, you will soon run out of scenarios. Personally, I am not one to keep re-playing the same scenario repeatedly. The AI will give you some variable approaches, but that is about it.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 12-30-14, 08:53 PM   #7
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
FYI, be advised that demo file triggered three scanner alarms over here: G-Data, Bullguard, and the extra scan I did with Avira.

Could be false positive due to the exe maybe containign aggressive advertising, could be the possible aggressive advertising being a bit too aggressive, could be something really malwarish.

Desinfected and deleted. Nevertheless, not your fault, so thanks anyway.
No worries. I used it and then uninstalled it afterwards. I'm fairly confident that the developers were not spreading malware, but the adware might have been a bit aggressive. Sorry that you elected not to try it.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 12-31-14, 05:25 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Well, one scanner ringing alarm,is one thing. Three, one by one, ringing alarm, is something that not just gets my attention, but has me drawing consequences. . Also had a look at your videos, and the video on the Steam side explaining the phasing system - I have never seen somebody doing it like this.

Anyway, I will get this game soon. If it is that good as I got the impression it is, I might even dive into the mission editor, who knows. I since long have waited for a hex-cosim "modern era" with a scaling like this.

Thanks
Old 01-01-15, 06:50 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

i got it, and like what i see. fluid zooming of map and counters. scaling and the whole game, and phasing, reminds me of an old tabletop cosim by GDW Game Designers Workshop from the 80s: Assault!

I read however that there may be some balancing issue, and would like to hear your opinion, Herman, since you seem to be quite engaed with the game, considering all those videos you did. There is complaint about the lacking efficiency of Western air defences, and the immense blow delivered by Soviet air power and helicopters. Also, while I know that the Soviet put extreme emphasis on extraordinarily overwhelming artillery barrages, I also read that the destructive effect of Soviet artillery is overdone. What is your verdict on these things?

I am currently experimenting with the tutorial.

The game really looks nice, nice maps in the new Players Edition, and nice counters. I always liked these hex-and-counter cosims.
Old 01-01-15, 03:15 PM   #10
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I read however that there may be some balancing issue, and would like to hear your opinion, Herman, since you seem to be quite engaed with the game, considering all those videos you did. There is complaint about the lacking efficiency of Western air defences, and the immense blow delivered by Soviet air power and helicopters. Also, while I know that the Soviet put extreme emphasis on extraordinarily overwhelming artillery barrages, I also read that the destructive effect of Soviet artillery is overdone. What is your verdict on these things?
I think that the issue, to which you refer, is the matter of testing standards. To his credit, the scenario designer has openly stated that he tested all his scenarios under the Unlimited Orders option. The complainants feel that the scenarios should have been tested under the Limited Orders option since it is the maximum level of difficulty. I agree with the complainants. However, the designer refuses to test any more.

Also, balance in FPC scenarios is ephemeral. With all the drastic changes between versions, the difficulty of the scenarios swings dramatically. For example, the strength of the artillery is almost like a pendulum. In v2.02, artillery was lethal. It was then emasculated in v2.03, returned to strength in v2.05, re-diluted in v2.06, re-energized in v2.07, and is currently neutered in v2.08. I find it quite laughable. Since the scenarios have not changed, these variances in artillery means that any supposed balance in the original scenarios is non-existent.

Some feel that the NATO air defence is weaker than it should be. I am not certain if there is much truth to this claim. The Vulcan gatling guns are not as effective as one might hope, but a mass of Bradley 37mm chain guns and .50cal machine guns can usually shoot down helicopters at a range of 1km or so.

I find the Soviet helos quite weak, myself. For me, they are very brittle instruments of war. They can deliver great firepower, but they often are unable to see the targets and thus will not engage. Ground units can often shoot several bursts at the helos without any response. Again, in v2.02, they were fearsome. Since v2.05, I find them more prey than hunters. I have to micro-manage the hell out of them to prevent them from doing something stupid. A new video showing some possible helo tactics is under production and we hope to release it this month.

I am glad that you seem happy with your purchase.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 01-01-15, 06:46 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

All in all I like it. Not just becasue the scale of the game is almost exactly what I was looking for, becasue of this:

I played the tutorial mission three times today. I did not play it even onc eloike recommended in the Tutorial short manual, but on the second and third attempt altered the plan from the mission setup before. I won all three times, but: the mission unfolded three times completely differently, due to different weather and the AI showing three different attack plans. One time I had my tanks in the planned battle range - and I had bad visibility suddenly taking them out of action (range). One time I had infantry far ahead in the city to dig in and greet the enemy infantry that moved there the last time - but this time he rushed in tanks that overrolled me. One time I blocked the northern approach with miones since the first two times he moved from there, and this time he casme form the south, reducing the mine'E effectiveness again.

Cannot remember that a simple mission (in any cosim i ever played) that I played three times, every time played so so totally different.

On the weak AD and inapt helicopters, I saw my Lynx behaving ridiculously for sure, ignoring targets in the open, uncovered. But I am used to inadequate air defence and air operation from Steel Beasts Pro, so I feel almost at home with that. If gameplay is hampered too much by this, I will copy the missions, and then edit them all to take care of that annoyance. Not nice, but no gamekilling issue for me.

The phasing system is brilliant for a turn-based cosim. It snice to be back on hexfield strategy, somehow I just never really got into Conquest of the Agean, both era and vector-based system. I just prefer the old-fashioned hex-designs, maybe because I know them from my teen years in the 80s.
Old 01-08-15, 08:56 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Map arts replacements. The game comes with updated maps arts already, but these 3rd party modded maps I also do not find bad, they look more realistic like a real map.

http://www.cgf-ai.com/fcrs_map_renders.html

But I will stay with the updated defaults, for the time being.
Old 02-01-23, 09:09 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Another bumping up of a hexfield cosim thread.

The Germany Reforged addon is out since years, newly released is Southern Front which in a few weeks or months will also come to Steam. I think I then will revisit this title.

Whats it about, in depth. There is quite some details to learn, but once you digested them, the game plays remarkably fluent. I dont even know why, but I dont play it as often as I want to. Its one of the best cosims I know, so I really cannot explain it. Maybe because I think the mediocre aiming precision of the Abrams and the overwhelming firepower of Sovjet gunships are looking not right. But then, maybe its just me. The game mechanics' design is excellent, outstanding. Some things it does better and mroe elegant than any other cosim out there.

Old 02-01-23, 12:21 PM   #14
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I do have the Flashpoint Red Storm, haven't had time to really explore it. The graphics of the new Southern Front look great. I also have Operation Art of War. I seem to have a hard time learning these games though. Like Command Modern Operations they seem to have a high learning curve.

I like pushing cardboard counters around on hex maps.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 01:49 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

I do not learn complex and extensive rule sets that easily anymore, too. Memory is like a rusty boat. It leaks.

Still have stored away a couple of tabletop cosims, bought in the 80s. Very difficult to get back then in Germany.