SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-23, 04:35 PM   #406
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Its best to collect DLCs ins ales, or buy special event packjs for cheap price.

Weight limits can be overocme a bit by using one of threew Rucksack, adding 3, 6 and 9 additonal kg to carry (at the price of additional noise profile, but I wonder to what degree scent and accoustics really are realistically modelled in COTW, beyond the obvious many bugs there also are).

I use a medium Rucksack, this way I can carry two rifles to cover the range of animals in thwe reserve, a pistol, medikit, scopes, ammo, bino, 2-4 caller, a tripod or treestand in needed, a tent. I do not like pistols for hunting, I always carry just the .454 for self defence, especially against buffalos. I have a buffalo trauma.

I used arrows more in Classic Hunter than in COTW. I dont know why this is so, it just happened. in CH, it was good with bows and xbows.

The tripod can be of use. The treestand not so much.
Old 01-25-23, 08:21 AM   #407
Skybird
Soaring

Who said Hunter Classic is "dead"...? They just released a new species, Wood Grouse, in Hirschfelden, Valle-de-Bois and Hemmeldal, and said they bring back to life an old feature from the past: live streams.
Old 01-25-23, 08:59 AM   #408
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Well it wasn't me

None of these games have Ruffed Grouse, which I grew up hunting. Those things would scare the bejeebus out of you when they flushed. All thunder and flapping wings in the heaviest cover. Good luck!

Good advice mate about waiting for a sale. And for some of the stuff I will wait. But some other stuff cannot wait haha. I've been looking to pick up a proper big game rifle. Something for class 9 animals. And then I can head off to Africa. At the mo, the only thing I have is the Drilling rifle, and that thing's not my style.

So the choice is either the .300 or the .338. One is locked behind DLC and both are expensive. So I've been trying to save my money, only buying ammunition when needed, and have 73k. A few grand more for the rifle and a couple boxes of ammo and I'll head off to Africa.

Which means I'll be buying the Yukon DLC to unlock the Canning. I've now hunted all the maps I have, which is six of them. There are twelve overall. I'll wait for a sale for the others I hope.

If the .338 were a bolt-action I'd get that one. Not a fan of break-action guns. Or side-by-sides for that matter. I do like over/unders, levers, bolts and automatics. Pumps are in the middle, having used a 20 gauge Winchseter for years. And actually, my very first gun was a single-shot break action 20 ga. It's what I learned with, took the hunter safety course with. You'd think I'd be fond of them, but nah

Having dropped a lot more time in to Call of the Wild I'm digging it. Some of the item locks are frustrating (like why do I have to have high mastery to buy small game arrows?) but overall it's a lot of fun. Took my longest shot (vitals) out to 321 yards last night. Elk dominate the top of my trophy table. Predators are a real trip in this game, getting attacked is common enough to keep you on high alert depending on the reserve. Shooting percentage is 90% and I hope to keep it there, but wolf packs cause panic don't you know.

The bow hunting is a lot of fun and the sheer variety of terrain and animals keeps it interesting as I bounce around the world. Call of the Wild is far more generous in terms of carry restrictions than Way of the Hunter. Generous, not realistic, as I was carrying a .308, .223, 22LR, .357 revolver and a compound bow on the hunt last night. Nice to have options haha.
Old 01-25-23, 10:35 AM   #409
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Weight limits can be overocme a bit by using one of threew Rucksack, adding 3, 6 and 9 additonal kg to carry (at the price of additional noise profile, but I wonder to what degree scent and accoustics really are realistically modelled in COTW, beyond the obvious many bugs there also are).

I use a medium Rucksack, this way I can carry two rifles to cover the range of animals in thwe reserve, a pistol, medikit, scopes, ammo, bino, 2-4 caller, a tripod or treestand in needed, a tent. I do not like pistols for hunting, I always carry just the .454 for self defence, especially against buffalos.
Interesting. I bought the tents and blinds DLC, and it is great while exploring a new reserve, but once I have base camps unlocked all over the map the tent loses some of its value to me.

I'm not much for ambush hunting. Don't care for blinds or stands, that's not my jam. Just stalking, so the tripod and other infrastructure has been of no use to me yet. If there's one place I could see the tripod being good it's Medved due to the danger, and probably Africa for the same reason, but I have yet to hunt there. Which means I was wrong when I said I've hunted all six reserves I have. It's just five so far I guess. Hirsch, Layton, Silver Ridge Peaks, Medved and I tried Revontuli last night for the first time.

I'm not using callers or scents either, removed all of that from my loadout, which leaves plenty of room for weapons. Just straight stalking, upwind and that's plenty effective. I'm sure I could decimate herds with a caller, but that's not how I want to play. Single shot, single harvest, move on.

I have the night vision stuff, but didn't care for it so dropped that too. So on my last hunt I was carrying this, having dropped the tent

-- Binoculars. The most used piece of kit in the bag. This is what you walk around with, and only bring up your rifle when you've decided to shoot.

-- .308 Tarza. Magazine fed semi-auto. Looks like a military rifle, like a AR-10 or similar. The 4-8 class handles a wide range of game.
-- .223 Tarza. Just like above but chambered in .223. Class 2-3 rifle for fox, coyote and lynx sized animals.
-- .22LR. For class 1 game, of which there is plenty, especially in Revontuli. Lightweight and the ammo is too. Rabbits, birds, waterfowl
-- .357 Revolver. Close-in defense weapon, and I'd like to go with the .44 for this, but money's tight. All in due time.
-- Koter CB-65 Compound Bow. Bows can handle any size game, which is according to the arrow used, not the bow. But so far I've used it mainly for deer.

For ammunition it's all poly tip, and arrows are a mixed bag due to needing unlocks. Have not tried a crossbow yet. I need better shotgun options too.

There are a lot of animals in the game and I enjoy hunting them all, but I consider myself a whitetail hunter at heart and that's my main focus. I also use the .243, especially on Hirschfelden because it covers class 2-6 which is great on that map.

This link given by Skybird is gold

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=414347241

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-25-23 at 10:44 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 11:42 AM   #410
Skybird
Soaring

The drilling should be respected, its a beast, if handed properly, and useful especially in Africa and against buffalo in general. Those buffalos absolutely do not like getting shot at and not killed, and they let you know that. The drilling means a shot from longer distance, it then chases at you, and in that rush you give it another round. Short before it reaches you, you give it the single big callibre round for short distance.

I have been chased across all the map by angry buffalos, whole herds, that was a bug back then, and I do not know if meanwhile it got fixed. Be warned, however, expect everything. Meeting a buffalo at close range in high grass in Africa is also not a nice surprise, but can go terribly wrong, buffalos do not like the player to pop up close to them by surprise. Nor does the player like it after the first such experience. Also, Africa has stampeding big herds. You may not want to stand in their way, you might get plowed under.

Simiiar warning for the wolves in Alaska. Shoot their Alpha and see the rest of the pack going after your throat, you need to then kill several of them, so have your rifles or pistols right. A single round weapon is not the best idea.

I recently read that the few scent sint he game currently are functionless anyway, but the opinions seem to be divided. In Classic, you can call (bigger range), then mark the spot you have chosen with scent, and then sneak some dozen meters away, scents reach not as far as callers. The animal approaches, gets attracted to the scent, and thats the time when it is where you want to have it. However, some sly foxes and coyotes and such may flank you and apporoach you cautiously form a direciton you abslutely did not expect. They are "clever", may not apprahc in astraight line.Othger animals may get distracted during their approach, and wander off. If calling too often, you may spook them.

You can find prey, move back a bit, set up the tripod or treestand, move forwardf again, call, move onto the tripod or treestand, and then wait. That might be a safe oiption against potentially dangeorus animals that might attack if getting wounded only. The accoustic side of things is not realistically simualted in thes egames, you can see it a bit more relaxed than you would in relaity.

Scent suppressor spray imo is not needed, I am not even certain that it has an effect. I used it only in Classic, and then only when hunting with a simple bow and needed to get real close. But staying out of sight I think was more important.

Its a game, many things are simplified. Still: very enjoyable.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-25-23 at 11:57 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 01:42 PM   #411
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yeah man, the wolves are no joke, but at least they circle you a bit before moving in. Tasting you in the wind I image. That brief respite lets you get your sh!t in order. I've died once so far. It was in Medved of course. Wolves took out half my health, and I killed two out of the pack with some wild, close-range scope shooting (this hurt my percentage lol).

Then, still at half-health, I started getting run over by moose and boars until I fell dead in the snow.

So when I returned I was ready. Wolves howling? Switch to the rifle, make sure it's fully loaded and then hope you're the one left standing. This time I took out two more and the rest scattered. And I didn't take a hit.

Africa's even worse I imagine, as the stuff is that much more deadly.

As for the Drilling, you are correct of course. I am not saying it isn't a capable weapon. Just that the style of the gun is not mine. There's always stuff like this for me in games. Like how I won't use side-by-sides if I can help it, or I won't recruit chariots in Total War games haha.

I think the .300 will be perfect for me. Bolt action, magazine fed so there're follow up rounds loaded. I've shot a Weatherby .300 and it's a hell of a rifle. Perfect forthis class of game and a style of gun that appeals to me.
Old 01-26-23, 08:20 AM   #412
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

My plans were dashed when I discovered that the .300 requires 6000+ rifle mastery. How I ignored this I don't know. I had a good start to yesterday's session, quickly earned more than enough to buy the rifle, then hopped out to purchase the Yukon DLC, at which point I finally realized I cannot have this rifle. Derp.

Many players had been playing for two years when this DLC was released, and for them the mastery lock would have been no issue. I've been playing for less than two weeks and I sit at half that number.

Well, I have a new reserve to hunt anyway.

That good start was on Revontuli. I was doing the first quest, the 'Blue Trail' mission. Near the end it has the player show his shooting skills by shooting at targets at increasing distances from inside rock circles placed on the ground. I hit the first few first try, but the 300m target eluded me. I took four shots and missed them all. Then I saw that even the hits counted as misses and now my shooting percentage is all fouled up dammit. Those shots should not have counted (like at the rifle range) or at least count the hits right?

I gave it up as a bad job and I'll return when I have the top scope. Best I have now is the 4x8 (Hyperion?). A .300 has a nice flat trajectory (I assume, yes?) and the higher power scope should allow me to finish this one.

Speaking of this mission..... the narrator drives me nuts. I wish I could shut him up. In Way of the Hunter I complained about the story and narrative. How cheesy it is. Call of the Wild said 'hold my beer' because in some ways it is even worse. Not every reserve is terrible, but the dude in Finland is just too much. Musing about philosophy and being naked. I was talking out loud to him, just shut up man!

The dude in Silver Ridge Peaks? Get off your ass man! Tap dancing on my last nerve that one.

Just let me hunt. Why couldn't the missions have just been hunting? Shoot a bear at 200 yards, or spot ten ibex, harvest a gold whitetail, or find five partridge tracks, or that sort of thing.

Did manage to get my first diamond while earning the money to buy the rifle I can't have. A capercallie!

And the hunt club is back up. That earned me some good money last night. I like these sorts of daily and weekly challenges. I hope they stick with it.
Old 01-26-23, 10:06 AM   #413
Skybird
Soaring

I ignore the missions, always. I think you cna even switch them off somewhere.

There are "trainers" for this game, allowing you to manipulate the savgame to add you the score you need to be permitted to buy certain stuff.

After several years of intermittendly playing this title, I used that option last autumn, since I completely play on my own, and non-competitive, and non-statistics-oriented anyway.

Because the whole system is illogical anyway. You have to spend long, long time and many hunts with inferior stuff or lacking stuff to catch the big bad boogie prey out there, to be allowed to buy a high callibre weapon - at a time when you are so experienced that you do not really need it anymore anyway.

Or the caller for I think elk it was, its hilarious why you get it only at level 35 or so.

The big self-protecting power of the .454 against bears, moose, wolves, buffalo, bison that charge at you at closest range is needed for the newbie - not for the experienced who does not bring himself into that situation in the first, probably. In high grass, that thing is worth pure gold.

The game design on these things, the logic behind it, imo is terribly flawed. i do not care for it, I refuse to obey it.

In Classic, you had to simply buy the stuff you wanted - in real money. Now in ingame money. You had to pay a monbthly or yeraly memberhsip fee, and for equipment you wanted.

Don't be inhibited by design motives that do not make sense for gameplay. Cheat you scoring and get that claler now, or that rifle, and play the way you want to play. There is no damage done to other players or yourself, you do not cheat online competition, you loose no joy or entertainment.

Just resist to give yourself a big sack of gold. Earn the mony you need ingame. Just get rid of those stupid limitations for equipment. Its totally stupid a design, imo. The whole skill and perk system is nonsense, imo.

I think I used WeMod back then, free account.

I did not use cheaters in Classic, since here your extremely extensive statistics and rankings were constantly compared to global rankngs. Every shot, distance, hit or fail, weapon, prey was logged and stored forever. On these, further rankings and ratings awarding badges was based.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-26-23 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 10:28 AM   #414
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yeah that's the ticket. Does using a trainer to grant me the mastery to buy the Canning affect the ability to get achievements, do you know?

If it does not, then I might just do that. Because otherwise I need to play as long as I already have, and take about another 60 animals with a rifle before I can get it.

If you're going to lock weapons behind a DLC paywall, at least let us use them from the start.

I have that 454 hand cannon, from a weapons pack.
Old 01-26-23, 11:08 AM   #415
Skybird
Soaring

Perks, skills, ratings, levels, money, god modes, invincibility, invuolnerability, instadeath of enemies, reveal all map features, unlock all chests and doors - you can manipulate everythign with such trainers.

I just checked WeMod, and it seems since last autumn they have dramatically overhauled their design and handling, I did not recognise it anymore, but COTW is still listed in the pool of games that can be cheated for free. I also mdid not need an account, now I would.

I recall that I used it also for No Man's Sky.

But I cannot tell you how it works now, it has chnaged.

However, if you google for game title and cheat, you will find many cheating engines. Some of them are services that cost money, so watch out.
Old 01-26-23, 11:13 AM   #416
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I have that 454 hand cannon, from a weapons pack.
Note: class 4-9, that makes it really a very interesting thing.

I miss the weapon sounds of the Classic Hunter. Some of the weapons there thunder away like a broadside from a Napoleonic sailship . And the .454 in it was a tank cannon, raw and brutal and heavy. The weapon sounds in COTW are meh...

Nice in the extensive statriscs keeping was and is that every misse dshot affctes your statics for thta weapon. I especially was a Nazi when it came to preicison ratings, and wanted the rifles I used to have this rating at 97% and higher. And I had. Every missed shot negatively affected that total scoring, of course. That made you really careful, this and the fact that you only had limited ammo supplied for free, additional ammo had to be bought with real money. Like the system or not: it kept the trigger-happy Rambos away.
Old 01-26-23, 02:34 PM   #417
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

I shot an American Bison in the head with the .454 at point blank range as he charged me in COTW. Dropped him like a rock, right at my feet with one shot. It certainly has stopping power, despite looking like something a pimp would carry.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 02:36 PM   #418
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Nice in the extensive statriscs keeping was and is that every misse dshot affctes your statics for thta weapon.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying if my overall rifle percentage is 90% that I get less rifle XP for each kill than if my overall rifle percentage was 98%?

Or what do you mean exactly?

I find I get 49Xp for most recent rifle shots. before I saw 62, and 50+ alot. Was that because my overall percentage was higher and now it's dropped because of the stupid targets in Finland?

I was wondering how this number is calculated. Does it factor in range, or impact location, vitals etc? How is that XP determined? Just interested in weapon 'mastery' XP.
Old 01-26-23, 03:14 PM   #419
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
I shot an American Bison in the head with the .454 at point blank range as he charged me in COTW. Dropped him like a rock, right at my feet with one shot. It certainly has stopping power, despite looking like something a pimp would carry.

Haha, that's right. Pimp gun.

But I should carry it for close defense. If you're going to carry a handgun why not carry the hardest hitter?
Old 01-26-23, 03:41 PM   #420
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
What do you mean by this? Are you saying if my overall rifle percentage is 90% that I get less rifle XP for each kill than if my overall rifle percentage was 98%?

Or what do you mean exactly?

I find I get 49Xp for most recent rifle shots. before I saw 62, and 50+ alot. Was that because my overall percentage was higher and now it's dropped because of the stupid targets in Finland?

I was wondering how this number is calculated. Does it factor in range, or impact location, vitals etc? How is that XP determined? Just interested in weapon 'mastery' XP.
No, I was talking of Classic. When you had fired 10 shots in all your matches, and missed three times, you preciisons core for that would be 70%. Any further shot event, miss or hit, would be calculated into that valuue. After 200 shots in the last 20 games you had 184 hits? Your precision with that rifle then would be 92%. It would break the statistics down even further for ditances, and whether the hit was lethal or not.

Classic kept track of just every statistic imaginable.

In COTW, things like callbre, ethical hunting gets calculated too. Use overkill calliorbe on a rabbit, and your trophy integrity drops, you get less moeny and a much smaller score. Drop the animals with nothign elss than seven rounds, and you see your socre suffering. Use a round of a matchign clalibre (measured ba "class"), and drop the animal in place, and you have higher trophy integrity and get mor emoeny,a nd more XP score and value. A long afterhunt was needed, or no vitals were hit, and more than two shots were fired and hit,l but did not kill? Scores drop again, the animal suffered, that is not wabted.ften shooting females will give you a little money to cover your box of ammo costs, but no XP at all: zero. We shoot bucks only.

The penalty system was more prominent in Classic, and is more inclusive, or subtle, in COTW. You get lounsihed not so much by being given active engages score effects, but your possible maximum score+money being reduced.

Note that bisons and buffalos canot be dropped with one hsot to the liung. You need a brain shot or a spine shot, the first to drop it in place indeed, the second to prevent it at least from charging at you.

Steam communit paage has an illustrated X-ray guide on vitals for every species. Newbies often are surprised how very deep at the chest they need to aim to hit the heart, many beginner shoot way too high, missing both heart and lungs then. Pigs I prefer to drop by brian shot, but make sure you choose a callibre that is sufficient to penetrate the skull bone. I onbly take them frontally, centered between the eyes and then a bit higher.

Neck shots in deer species are unsafe, too thing the target, too much sudden movement. Also , its not needed to take these high risk shots.

Wolves: only with a multi-round rifle, and a multiround pistol for the inevitable infight. I had it with wolves just three times, and every time I had to fire 8-10 rounds to get the pack off me. No time to reload. Plenty of dead or wounded wolves. Bloody mess!

Beware the widowmaker in high grass (African buffalos, water buffalos).

Last edited by Skybird; 01-26-23 at 04:00 PM.