SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-08, 07:16 PM   #166
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruger
What do you mean by absorb RFB ? Is this campaign not going to be standalone ?
He just didn't want two releases at the same time, so he has to pick one. He wants a chance to get to play RFB before the Japanese Campaign. See what it is like and what's in it, things like that.
In other words try the 'good stuff' before the 'beginners stuff'.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 06:42 AM   #167
Kruger
Commander

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

I get it. Anyway, I hardly wait to play this..c'moooon
Kruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 05:13 PM   #168
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Working on it, lots of files to change, and a lot of files that need to be changed since the subs are set up to work in the German Campaign. Plus more changes when things are added or taken off the subs. Doing the best I can.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 11-14-08, 06:34 PM   #169
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
Quote:
Working on it, lots of files to change, and a lot of files that need to be changed since the subs are set up to work in the German Campaign. Plus more changes when things are added or taken off the subs. Doing the best I can.

Peabody
You're doing a hell of a job !

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 10:04 PM   #170
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
Quote:

Peabody
You're doing a hell of a job !

keltos
WE, are doing a hell of a job. Hope it works.:rotfl:.

Peabody

Old 11-15-08, 06:44 PM   #171
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Yeah we are, I can't even modify a torpedo to make it into a Kaiten without screwing the propeller's animation

http://files.filefront.com/v+11+Kait.../fileinfo.html

Last edited by keltos01; 11-15-08 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 04:37 AM   #172
Kruger
Commander

When I read "Abandon Ship" in high school, I remember being fascinated by the way in which Japanese submarines functioned. This was happening right after reading "Strike under the sea" and...hm I forgot the other title also by Douglas Reeman about Soufriere.
Old 11-16-08, 05:51 AM   #173
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
When I read "Abandon Ship" in high school, I remember being fascinated by the way in which Japanese submarines functioned. This was happening right after reading "Strike under the sea" and...hm I forgot the other title also by Douglas Reeman about Soufriere.
what do you wanna say ??? I'm so thick I don't get it...

keltos

Old 11-17-08, 03:57 AM   #174
Kruger
Commander

To put it short...I can't wait to play this
Old 11-17-08, 11:07 AM   #175
keltos01
Silent Hunter

so we are a few !

Old 11-29-08, 02:09 PM   #176
keltos01
Silent Hunter

the campaign is going strong ! we now have real IJN torpedoes to go along with my subs and Peabody's coming campaign

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 11-29-08 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-29-08, 03:12 PM   #177
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Care to update this end of the thread with the details?

Missions, etc added to the campaign?

One possible thought would be to make all the patrol objectives (which is a huge amount of work), and simply work them in on top of RSRD, without messing with RSRD itself (make sure you read lurker's readme before touching any campaign files or you'd accidentally break it (really)).

This would give you the traffic, and if you felt you needed to add any traffic, you can simply make a new layer that you throw on top, along with an extended campaign.cfg.

Otherwise you'll be faced with the stock game bizzaro world of mass merchant shipping to Midway, Midway as the shipping hub of the Pacific, all kinds of odd traffic in the western Pacific that doesn't belong there, etc.

This would be a relatively quick way to quickly get a good IJN campaign together that would only require working on the patrol related stuff, without having to build traffic. If you need to, you can add a new layer of IJN Submarine Base Traffic as well, so that the specific harbors you use are more dolled up than others.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 04:07 PM   #178
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Care to update this end of the thread with the details?

Missions, etc added to the campaign?

One possible thought would be to make all the patrol objectives (which is a huge amount of work), and simply work them in on top of RSRD, without messing with RSRD itself (make sure you read lurker's readme before touching any campaign files or you'd accidentally break it (really)).

This would give you the traffic, and if you felt you needed to add any traffic, you can simply make a new layer that you throw on top, along with an extended campaign.cfg.

Otherwise you'll be faced with the stock game bizzaro world of mass merchant shipping to Midway, Midway as the shipping hub of the Pacific, all kinds of odd traffic in the western Pacific that doesn't belong there, etc.

This would be a relatively quick way to quickly get a good IJN campaign together that would only require working on the patrol related stuff, without having to build traffic. If you need to, you can add a new layer of IJN Submarine Base Traffic as well, so that the specific harbors you use are more dolled up than others.
Thanks for the suggestion Tater, but I have most of the traffic done. I still have some to add and some to delete that is 'not where it belongs'. Kwajalein was used as a sub base and we added it and then realized Allied ships are sailing right through the harbor. So I guess I could write a mission to just shoot from the pier.

It is taking bit longer due to Real Life. So not as far along as I want to be. And we ran into a few problems finding things in the German side, I had been working on the US/Japanese side but Keltos' subs are German so we switched it over.
And we spend some time fixing bugs that took a while to find. I spent a bit more time then I should have on some experiments that didn't pan out. And a lot of time learning how to mod. I knew nothing when I started. Lots of files I still don't understand.
But the most amount of time is testing. We actually have to play a campaign to see if the traffic is too much, too little. And making sure the bases show up when they are suppose to and disapper when they are suppose to. So the learning how to do it and then testing has taken a while. And when things don't happen the way I think they should I have to figure out why. Not excuses just an explanation of why it is not released yet.

As for the patrol objectives, I can write one in no time, adding it to the text files and making sure the dates are right so it is where the traffic is takes the time.

And now knowing the amount of time and files involved, I would not even consider using Lurkers hard work. As I said at the start, we are beginners so at the first release it is certainly not going to be up to the 'super mod' standard but it will certainly be as good as the game you paid for. And we will add to it as we find mistakes and better ideas.

I again thank you for the suggestion, we are open to any ideas or comments, good or bad. We welcome it. We will not get into 'debates' over it but we certainly want to hear new ideas. We will consider every idea and make a decision on what effect it will have, how much work involved and how much benifit from that work.

Peabody

Old 11-29-08, 04:29 PM   #179
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Regarding traffic, you can load up multiple campaign layers for the same date range, then turn on time compression and watch them move within the mission editor. Pause it, then do some rough counts, then multiply by the average group size (assuming you know what that is).

It's then possible to get a rough idea of the shipping volume.

The game engine is actually better at IJN/KM campaigns in many ways than USN ones since it assumes the sort of chatty sub behavior that resulted in the horrible losses suffered by the 2 Axis sub services.

I suppose you'll need loads of special transport missions later on, too.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 06:31 PM   #180
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Kaiten texture reflection problem fixed, thanks to Peabody, Skwasjer and Mikhayl who thought of the caustics !

I have uploaded the new . dat to be slipped in the Library folder of the IJN torpedo mod version 3.4

Keltos

torpedo link :

http://files.filefront.com/v+34+IJN+.../fileinfo.html

fix link :

http://files.filefront.com/Torpedoca.../fileinfo.html