SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-13, 03:27 PM   #3811
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Sure KSP is good there is a thread in here someplace about KSP it just has not been posted in lately.

Lots to do and play around with and tons of mods.Only thing is it is still in development so after each Beta update some mods do not work and get updated or get updated to make use of improvements.That being the only downside keeping up with changes and mods.

You can make rovers and probes as well as shuttle type designs or a traditional rocket.It can get pretty advanced.

You can get it from https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ or Steam and both have a demo.

Last edited by Stealhead; 09-29-13 at 03:52 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 08:30 AM   #3812
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 10:56 AM   #3813
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Suprise buttcoupling!

HunterICX
Old 09-30-13, 11:12 AM   #3814
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
HunterICX
You're alive then. Nearly sent out a search party.
Old 09-30-13, 11:18 AM   #3815
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
You're alive then. Nearly sent out a search party.
Catched a cold at the end of last week so felt under the weather.

HunterICX
Old 09-30-13, 01:07 PM   #3816
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Sure KSP is good there is a thread in here someplace about KSP it just has not been posted in lately.

Lots to do and play around with and tons of mods.Only thing is it is still in development so after each Beta update some mods do not work and get updated or get updated to make use of improvements.That being the only downside keeping up with changes and mods.

You can make rovers and probes as well as shuttle type designs or a traditional rocket.It can get pretty advanced.

You can get it from https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ or Steam and both have a demo.
Thanks I'll check it out!

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 07:32 AM   #3817
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Resurfacing from my long lurking session to show off a few shots of what I've been playing last few days

Misery v2.02 mod for Call of Pripyat.
Never has there been a more accurate title that describes everything about a mod, from gameplay to visual aesthetics. I love it, not sure what that says about me as a gamer

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 02:18 PM   #3818
conus00
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Resurfacing from my long lurking session to show off a few shots of what I've been playing last few days

Never has there been a more accurate title that describes everything about a mod, from gameplay to visual aesthetics. I love it, not sure what that says about me as a gamer
I love it. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series has been one of the better game series I've played (and replayed) in the past. Too bad that the CoP turned into kind of "CoD rail shooter" at the end). I would LOVE to have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. environment game placed in Fallout 3 free-roaming style.

Last edited by conus00; 10-01-13 at 04:19 PM.
conus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 04:04 PM   #3819
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:

Wow! Beautiful mod!

I'd like to hear more about that one...
Old 10-01-13, 06:55 PM   #3820
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I tried Misery but it just kept stuttering on my system.I think it is optimized with a higher end system in mind.I read a few places that you need 8GB RAM to run it smoothly as is with out running extra tweaks.

That is a few notches above my PC belt.From what I saw though it did look pretty harsh.which is a good thing far too many hand holdly games out there.And Misery makes the base version of STALKER seem very easy.

Maybe there are tweaks I can make. I have an older rig though.I see some info on the Misery web page about fixes.Anyway When I D/Led and installed it and messed around i was not really in the mood to tweak things so I just uninstalled.When I am in a tinkering mood I will try it again.

At some point I need to upgrade.

@Red not sure what your set up is but Misery might be a bit too demanding for your rig.But any look at the website there are some fixes.

Misery
http://www.miserymod.com/?page_id=454

@CCIP I was just thinking the other day "Haven't seen anything from CCIP recently wonder what he is up to?" Figured you'd gone off into the Yukon or something and become a trapper.

Last edited by Stealhead; 10-01-13 at 07:07 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 07:53 PM   #3821
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
@Red not sure what your set up is but Misery might be a bit too demanding for your rig.But any look at the website there are some fixes.
I'll do some looking.

Quote:
@CCIP I was just thinking the other day "Haven't seen anything from CCIP recently wonder what he is up to?" Figured you'd gone off into the Yukon or something and become a trapper.

He DOES travel a lot.
Old 10-02-13, 12:16 AM   #3822
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Haha yeah. I'm travelling tomorrow again! But I'll hopefully soon be back for good. Sorry for disappearing, life just threw a bunch of curve balls at me in the last few months, and I'm still getting my bearings. Hopefully I'll settle down again soon.

I haven't played the original CoP - I've really become disappointed in stock STALKER games since getting into some of the more advance modding. I don't want to play the "normal" game anymore. I really wasn't happy with Clear Sky, even after the Complete mod for example - but can tell you right now that with Misery it is anything but a rail shooter. It's brutal, but I've advanced the main quest very little - and from what I understand, it changes the story anyway, and splits it into three different "classes" of characters that you can play, each with their own different quests. It's definitely not a mod for everyone, but because of all the detail and sheer difficulty, I literally spent a week game time just to get to a point where I was "breaking even" - that is, had money to feed myself and have a bit of a reserve on the side and a decent gun. Then I spent another week game time working my way through the first few quests and earning enough for something better than a leather jacket as far as armor. Now I'm ready to tackle a bit more. I'm sure it wouldn't take so long for more experienced players, but wrapping my head around how things work and fighting the utterly brutal AI for even the smallest gain sure took a while.

Stuttering is a bit of a problem in Misery on my system, but i got it to a point where it's tolerable. Again though, I think the title of the mod was a smart move - it's always good to point out that it's not for everyone. It's a brutal, largely gloryless grind to even survive, let alone get anything accomplished. The new features add so much "stuff" that you will often find yourself spending a good chunk of the game day tinkering with stuff in your inventory and figuring out just how to keep your gear in one piece, what to do about the crappy guns you found, and what to eat next. Not exactly riveting adventure. There were a lot of complaints about earlier versions of Misery especially, with some people calling it an "obesity sim" because your character would be constantly tired, hungry, and barely able to carry anything. I can't vouch for that since I only got into it with the current version, of course, but at 2.02 things do seem pretty stable and difficult but playable. Although you will find it almost impossible to do some of the quests, even ones that you get on the first day, until weeks into the game - until you have a hazmat suit and some serious weaponry, you will simply not survive anywhere near certain anomalies and enemies. And earning that suit and weaponry takes an intense amount of grinding. I don't find it as bad as some games' version of grinding, because literally any encounter with an enemy has a very high % chance of you dying and requires lots of skill, but it's still grinding nonetheless. As a survival sim though (and I actually wouldn't shy away from calling it a sim - it's more detailed/overloaded with features than ArmA or its derivative DayZ in some ways), it's pretty satisfying. Mostly because it succeeds at turning the Zone back from a theme park with exciting action rides into a terrifying, miserable, nearly-impossible-to-survive place. It's not "fun" anymore, and I mean that both in good and bad ways.

@RedOctober1984 - yeah, don't bother with Misery for now, it won't run properly on your rig unfortunately. Also did I mention that it's a 2.6GB download? You might be able to get it to run, but you'll probably find it hard to move around without constant stuttering. The main "problem" with Misery is that it increases the distance at which AI entities and objects are tracked by the game, and greatly increases the number of them. Even if you reduce that distance to minimum, you'll find that the game keeps loading new objects every time you move.
One plus (or minus?) is that it massively increases the visual range and engagement range for AI. Most of my firefights in old Stalker were within 30 yards. My average battle against humans now happens at 100 or so. And if any of them have proper rifles, they are brutal and kill me almost as often as I kill them.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 10-02-13 at 12:31 AM.
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 12:53 AM   #3823
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

I've got a question for either Oberon or Hunter

Is that TS 2014? If it is,how big of a dl are we talking here anyway? I got the new Tomb Raider when it was on sale, and that was almost 11 GB's and took me forever to dl. I hope the new TS isn't any where close to that in size!!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 03:21 AM   #3824
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Well I have the game since it was known as TS2012 (every year the game updates the base game for free which where something like 400-600mb updates)

but the Hard Drive requirement is 6GB but I guess the download may be a bit smaller depending if you take any extra DLC content with the purchase.

HunterICX
Old 10-02-13, 07:38 AM   #3825
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
@RedOctober1984 - yeah, don't bother with Misery for now, it won't run properly on your rig unfortunately. Also did I mention that it's a 2.6GB download? You might be able to get it to run, but you'll probably find it hard to move around without constant stuttering. The main "problem" with Misery is that it increases the distance at which AI entities and objects are tracked by the game, and greatly increases the number of them. Even if you reduce that distance to minimum, you'll find that the game keeps loading new objects every time you move.
One plus (or minus?) is that it massively increases the visual range and engagement range for AI. Most of my firefights in old Stalker were within 30 yards. My average battle against humans now happens at 100 or so. And if any of them have proper rifles, they are brutal and kill me almost as often as I kill them.
I can always try it out....

There are certain times I can run a higher-specced game.

I'm honestly surprised I can run Dead Space.

The DL size is a problem, so I'll wait.