SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-13, 08:18 AM   #16
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Think I'll pay off this loan first, then get a new one. A big one. Expand the garage and buy another truck, pass this on to a driver.

Maybe.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-13, 09:55 AM   #17
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Bought a DAF as my first truck after doing some jobs and taking a small loan.

After some time I bought a Renault Premium, which I traded in for a Scania later on, couldn't customize the Premium back then. The DAF went to my first employee that I hired.

With time my truck fleet has expanded, 10 trucks at the moment, all brands except for Majestic. Hopefully Mercedes will be added in the future.

Jumping between trucks when I feel like driving something else.
Back in my DAF again, now customized with a very dark brown (close to black) and "gold" livery, looks awesome.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-13, 10:28 AM   #18
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

In my VTC profile I drive a Scania 360, nearly level 10 to upgrade.

My other profile I drive a Valiant (Volvo) base model, and my other driver drives the base MAN, so far.
Old 02-13-13, 01:02 PM   #19
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

My DAF XF.

Old 02-18-13, 09:12 AM   #20
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Luxembourg to Milan in less that 2½ minutes!

I wish I hadn't gone for the 6x2 chassis config as it halves the amount of fuel you can have.
Old 02-18-13, 09:36 AM   #21
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Nice!

Music fits nicely with the video.
Old 02-18-13, 06:23 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I watched three normal-speed videos at youtube, and get the very strong impression that reasonable driving physics is not the shining side of this game? Concept, idea, looks all are nice and well, but shouldn't reasonable driving physics (and less turning Autobahnen) part of the package?

I like good driving simulations and maybe wopuld have tried this one, the idea and concept indeed look nice. But the physics to be seen in the movies keep we away. So when it comes to big cars, I stay with OMSI.
Old 02-18-13, 06:27 PM   #23
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

The physics can be a bit borked at times and to be honest I think most people buy it for the eye candy.
Old 02-18-13, 09:49 PM   #24
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Yeah, I doubt it's your scene Skybird. It has its merits but I don't think it would appeal to you.

Herr B, I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles to park those things!
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 10:13 PM   #25
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I watched three normal-speed videos at youtube, and get the very strong impression that reasonable driving physics is not the shining side of this game? Concept, idea, looks all are nice and well, but shouldn't reasonable driving physics (and less turning Autobahnen) part of the package?

I like good driving simulations and maybe wopuld have tried this one, the idea and concept indeed look nice. But the physics to be seen in the movies keep we away. So when it comes to big cars, I stay with OMSI.
I first saw this thread and my first thought was "Wow....something more boring than Microsoft Train Simulator"

Next, I read the thread and a driving simulation might not be that bad...just the fact that you are a trucker....

Lastly, I see that the driving physics are sub-par? Wow...That just killed any spark of interest I had in this game...
Old 02-19-13, 02:52 AM   #26
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Hey, guess what? THERE IS A PHYSICS MOD.

I'd suggest if you have the slightest potential interest in the game you try the demo (with mods) before ignoring it forever.

It had load times that make all Silent Hunterers extremely envious.

Watching real speed runs would be quite the most boring thing on YouTube.

OSMI looks good, but is quite restricted in what and where it delivers, but again has some good mods, I believe.
Old 02-19-13, 06:29 AM   #27
SuneG
Swabbie

Downloads: 299

nice game got the demo, im going to buy it i think
SuneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 06:37 AM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I first saw this thread and my first thought was "Wow....something more boring than Microsoft Train Simulator"

Next, I read the thread and a driving simulation might not be that bad...just the fact that you are a trucker....

Lastly, I see that the driving physics are sub-par? Wow...That just killed any spark of interest I had in this game...
Not wanting to distract from the threads original title, just briefly:

Try OMSI. One of the best simulations of a "moving platform" (air-land-sea) that I know. Feels incredibly real, the sounds I cannot differ form reality (I know those busses, I lived in Berlin when those things rolled there), the feeling to actually drive something that big is very convincing. Braking, accelerating, gear changes - all like I experienced it in reality 25 years ago. Interface a bitr rough around the edges, but one gets used to it. Many modded maps available also. New version with flex busses coming this year. Many videos on youtube, quality of maps shown there varies.

I also tried, longer time ago, Bus and Cable Car Simulator San Francisco.

LINK

Big shame. All that nice modelling of a very big city, and then ruining it with that crappy gameplay and bad driving model. Some developers, so I sometimes think, do their design work while being on drugs.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-19-13 at 06:55 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 07:05 AM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post

OSMI looks good, but is quite restricted in what and where it delivers, but again has some good mods, I believe.
Originally it had just one base track in Spandau 1989, but it got tremendously pushed in modded tracks available. I have collected some, but at one time stopped to follow it, since more and more tracks came out that needed more and more additional mods for traffic signs, graphics and other stuff. Maybe I have grown to old for this modding kind of business, I don't know. But from what I see, the sim really shines in number of very well done available tracks now.

A favourite added track of mine is Kulmnock, its is absollutely lovely ,and very well done. Duesburg also is nice. I think today there are even better ones.

A new version of OMSI will come this year. It features flex busses, and allows to switch between Spandau in various, at least two, time stages: before and after the wall came down. Some changes in those early years are very big, with whole railroad stations deleted and huge buildings added elsewhere (Spandau Arkaden as an example).

But first and foremost, it is about the experience to drive and manage a bus, and that is where OMSI delivers, with many bus models by default and in modded supplements, and it delivers with flying colours. The sound to me still ranks in the benchmark category of all simulation stuff, no matter the genre. I still could swear that I am listening to sounds from reality around me. Driving alone deep in the night in a silent outskirt of Berlin, with snow and heavy weather, makes you react emotionally to the sim. Not many simulations achieve such that with me.
Old 02-19-13, 07:05 AM   #30
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Big shame. All that nice modelling of a very big city, and then ruining it with that crappy gameplay and bad driving model. Some developers, so I sometimes think, do their design work while being on drugs.
Hey, no surprise there. Look what Ubisoft did to Silent Hunter.

Some Devs just want to watch the world burn right?