SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-23, 08:04 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default War Plan + War Plan Pacific

Oubaas recently planted this mine in my mind by reminding me with a casual comment that this game existed. I considered War Plan when it arrived, but for some reasons then walked by. I now consider to get it, but maybe the Pacific title first - question is whether I can expect that any possible improvements over the first game have been implemented in the Pacific game, any letdowns and flaws that were corrected in the seocnd game? Or is it just the exact same gameplay, without any polishing added, thus being only a "mission pack?"

And can the full war played in one giant "mission", or is it limited to missions partitioning the war?

I played War in the East, and was a bit overwhelmed by it, did not really enjoy it (but deeply respected it). One or two notches less on the escalation and logistics management scale might be more enjoyable for me.

I am waiting for Second Front at the end of this month. Possible that I will buy WP before that - or long time after that, for I hope and expect SF to keep me busy, I am really waiting for that one since I first time heard of it.

Here are some video reviews. The fiorts is pretty positive.

The second one has some cons and wishes, some of which are no longe rrelevant since updates took care of soem of them.

Note, in the comments of the second video the deveeoper mentions that he is working on the War Plan 2 engine.

This review is on the first War Plan.

Old 01-14-23, 04:20 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

The manual for Warplan, the first, can be downloaded from the Steam shop page. I currently read through it. Answers a lot of questions. Will buy it later this day for sure.

Also, many cons mentioned by some after release, seem to have been adressed and changed by later updates.

Manual for Pacific seems not to be there.

Will probably buy even both, with a -15% discount.

I had once waited many years for World of Flames, only then to get spilled with icy-cold water when they said they will not make an AI for it. But WarPlan sounds as if being made for me.
Old 01-16-23, 01:43 AM   #3
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

I can't comment on improvements as the games had already been updated when I bought them. I haven't found anything wrong in either case.

If you're new to the series, I found WarPlan: Pacific the best for learning the games, but you could probably manage with either.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-23, 06:43 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I got both, currently reading through the manual for WP1. Tehcncially, the game slook good, the itnerface and font soize can be set acording to my eye's taste and need, and the maps scroll marvelously smooth. Many cosims get these things terribly wrong.
Old 01-17-23, 02:08 PM   #5
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

If you like hex-based war games I think you'll enjoy them, Skybird. I started with the Guadalcanal mission in WarPlan: Pacific and it worked well for learning the games. I've won at Guadalcanal so many times that they ought to give me a WWII Victory Medal, LOL!

Watch out for the IJN in Pacific. You can lose a lot of ships in a hurry if you get yourself into the wrong engagement.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 03:35 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
Watch out for the IJN in Pacific. You can lose a lot of ships in a hurry if you get yourself into the wrong engagement.
I send in Neal. Problem solved.