SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-09, 03:49 PM   #1636
Laconic
Soundman

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

Love the new kill flag feature. I've got a question about it, though. The game seems to limit the size that the decal will appear to no larger than 256x256 (I think). It scales down decals that are larger (512x512 or 1024x1024) to fit that size, and will resize ratios other than 1x1 altogether, leading to distortions. Here's what I mean:

This decal was the root size, 256x256 (I'm just using a different flag icon):

This decal was increased to 1024x1024, but appears to be the same size in the game (I added a patrol star to this one):

As an experiment to see if the game would render a decal at a different ratio, I made one that was 1024x2048 (1x2) and pasted the original decal down the length of it. The game distorted it:

This really isn't a problem in and of itself, but it's possible that you could eventually score so many kills that you would run out of room in the designated area. Would there be any way to change the area the game says this decal must be displayed in?

All-in-all, great work, thanks!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 04:26 PM   #1637
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

The area the decal is applied to is a small, flat square, that is mapped to recieve a texture. To resize the area, youd have to redo this 3d model, and import it again to all conning towers.

I knew full well people would run out of area. As a suggestion, you could make a 5 count flag. Say, a jap flag with a big 5 on it to represent 5 merchants to save space. Kinda like hash marks.

edit:
Or instead of a arabic 5, use a roman number five. V, almost like a double pun, V for 5 and V for victory. Probably would come out better on the texture too.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 04:30 PM   #1638
Laconic
Soundman

Downloads: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
The area the decal is applied to is a small, flat square, that is mapped to recieve a texture. To resize the area, youd have to redo this 3d model, and import it again to all conning towers.

I knew full well people would run out of area. As a suggestion, you could make a 5 count flag. Say, a jap flag with a big 5 on it to represent 5 merchants to save space. Kinda like hash marks.
Thanks for the reply. Though I'm learning all of this as I go, I may see about customizing the model...I'd love to see a conn full of meatballs.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 04:30 PM   #1639
VonGlaus
Gunner

Downloads: 30

It is already fun! Started a new career late in the war. Forgot about jumping from an experienced crew back to a bunch of newbies, things seem to happen slower.

So we were approaching some sampans just now, and I wanted to get some gun practice on them. But I can't figure out how to man the flack guns! How can I move people onto the slots? Screen res is 1024x768, 4:3 ratio.

What blindingly obvious command am I missing here?
VonGlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 04:34 PM   #1640
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I knew there was something i was forgetting do document.

Press the period/del key on the numbered keypad to drop the HUD. This will clear the dials so you can move crewman there. Press the same key to bring the hud back.
Old 11-20-09, 04:41 PM   #1641
VonGlaus
Gunner

Downloads: 30

Numbered keypad! That was it. I kept hitting the one on the keyboard.

Thanks again, now I'm off to find bigger ships.
VonGlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 04:57 PM   #1642
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Uploaded one of the optional mods i've been procrastinating on. It's all of Foobar's sub skins that i reworked a little. This is set up to be a total skin replacement.
Just out of interest, are these the same skins that were used in the Beta 1.8 patch 3?
I really liked those.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 04:59 PM   #1643
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

yup. I was going to make them default, but avg convinced me otherwise.
Old 11-20-09, 07:48 PM   #1644
simsurfer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 54

Your a good man Ducimus, I have had a great time playing 1.8 now I cant wait to get my hands on this, this version sounds really really good. Should keep me busy till the new U-Boat mod becomes avail in 2010.
Old 11-20-09, 09:07 PM   #1645
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Ducimus,

Glad I got some practise in with 1.7. The new 1.9 is astounding! Just left Manila in the afternoon after a reload on December 13 1941, and just as we were passing the "Rock", and the water started getting deeper, the radar man picked up multiple contacts. A few seconds later, the watch crew started shouting out aircraft sightings. There were 9 G4M Bettys making a run on the bay, and any shipping there. They went after a couple docked ships at Cavite, and a couple fishing boats in the bay, and we only had one plane harrass us. It flew over so high, that the bomb aimer couldn't get a bead on us, aside from our turns left and right at flank speed. The bombs hit the water well clear of us, and there were no injuries. But in the future, I'm gonna wait till nightfall to run in and refuel, and rearm.

This will hold me over fine if you get away for awhile. There's nothing worse than burnin' out on something. Especially if you liked it start with.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 09:08 PM   #1646
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Intercept message

Here is an intercepted message:

Yamato to base: Yankee dogs using naked woman bent over. stop. pasted on boat emblems. stop. distracting crew and Divine Wind. stop. Send Saki to calm crew. stop.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 10:06 PM   #1647
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Here is an intercepted message:

Yamato to base: Yankee dogs using naked woman bent over. stop. pasted on boat emblems. stop. distracting crew and Divine Wind. stop. Send Saki to calm crew. stop.
You mean this one?

She's my good luck charm.
Old 11-21-09, 01:40 AM   #1648
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default in honor of Ducimus and the other contributors

Here are some naval quotes I have copied to thank Ducimus and the contributors for all of their hard work.

"Take her down!" Commander Howard Walter Gilmore, desperately wounded and unable to climb back into his submarine, USS Growler (SS-215), in the face of an approaching Japanese gunboat 7 February 1943.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont. [applies to all TMO captains!]

"You may fire when you are ready Gridley." Commodore George Dewey, 1 May 1898, at the Battle of Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War. The American squadron entered Manila Bay and took fire from the Spanish fleet, anchored under the guns of Cavite, for half an hour until in the position Dewey wanted. Then Dewey addressed his order to Charles Gridley, captain of Dewey's flagship Olympia.

"Sighted Sub, Sank Same." Message sent by an enlisted pilot, AMM 1/c Donald Francis Mason, on 28 January 1942. Mason believed that he had sunk a German U-boat off Argentia, Newfoundland. (SH3 Beware!)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours..." Oliver Hazard Perry's immortal dispatch to Major General William Henry Harrison after the Battle of Lake Erie, 10 September 1813.

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"President John F. Kennedy, 1 August 1963, in Bancroft Hall at the U. S. Naval Academy.

I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 10:25 AM   #1649
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

THE SUBMARINER'S CREED

"In each submarine there are men who, in the hour of emergency or peril at sea, can turn to each other. These men are ultimately responsible to themselves and each other for all aspects of operation of their submarine. They are the crew. They are the ship."
Old 11-21-09, 04:03 PM   #1650
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Playing TM for the first time on an old laptop . What buttons do i use for time compression .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote