SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-22, 11:49 AM   #1
Mr Salad Monday
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Problems with the Data Notepad (noob question?)

Hey all, been lurking for a few weeks now trying to find time to sit down with the game, and as of today I'm a few hours in now (with the Grey Wolves mod). It looks like I'm glitch/compatibility issue free but I'm having one final problem with gameplay.

Namely, I'm having a nightmare time trying to get my targeting/data notepad entry to log target speed. When I raise my attack periscope I have no issue figuring out the type of ship, angle on bow, range, and getting all that entered into the notepad, but anytime I try to enter the Speed I'm stumped. If I break my periscope 'Lock' to time the ship moving from bow-to-stern (I make sure I'm at a 90 degree angle and my speed is less than 1knt) and use the stopwatch nothing gets entered into the data notepad. Yet, if I remain locked and start the stopwatch and stop it after some time, I get a knot value entered.

The thing is though, how am I to assess the ship's speed if my periscope is locked on the ship the whole time? I'm aware of the 3min 15sec system and utilised it on my first kill, but I'm talking specifically about the attack periscope when you're lining up the shot. Anyone know what the issue might be? I don't know what the game wants me to time when I'm locked on to the target because surely I can't time it moving bow-to-stern if the periscope is moving with it can I? Yet this is the only way the notepad records a knot speed and enters it into the computer, so I'm stumped as to what it is it wants me to measure.

Anyone have any familiarity or ideas? I honestly expect this isn't a glitch so much as I'm probably overlooking something obvious. If this has been answered before I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction; I did have a search of the forum posts but didn't see anything that addressed this specifically.
Mr Salad Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 05:51 PM   #2
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Hi there. Basically the notepad system for attaining the value for target speed is an automatic process. The idea is once you've identified, ranged and entered the AOB value, you click the little timer icon on the notepad for speed, remaining locked on target for around 30 seconds. When you stop the timer the value appears on the notepad, then click the tick icon to send data to TDC. This value isn't always 100% accurate but it's usually fairly close if you've gotten everything else correct.

Timing the target from bow to stern is an alternative method for gathering speed outside of the notepad system. Once you've timed the ship across your scope there are several ways to find the speed in knots, typically using some tool such as RAOBF or U-Jagd chronometer. Those are only available with additional mods, such as ARB Widegui for example. If you don't have those but would still like to do it that way, you could use this formula: 1.94 x ship length (meters) / time (seconds) = speed in knots. All the best!
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 09:41 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Mr Salad Monday!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 05:49 AM   #4
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

I did a write up on the notepad a while back, hopefully this is helpful.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=246723

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 10:33 AM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salad Monday View Post
Hey all, been lurking for a few weeks now trying to find time to sit down with the game, and as of today I'm a few hours in now (with the Grey Wolves mod). It looks like I'm glitch/compatibility issue free but I'm having one final problem with gameplay.

Namely, I'm having a nightmare time trying to get my targeting/data notepad entry to log target speed. When I raise my attack periscope I have no issue figuring out the type of ship, angle on bow, range, and getting all that entered into the notepad, but anytime I try to enter the Speed I'm stumped. If I break my periscope 'Lock' to time the ship moving from bow-to-stern (I make sure I'm at a 90 degree angle and my speed is less than 1knt) and use the stopwatch nothing gets entered into the data notepad. Yet, if I remain locked and start the stopwatch and stop it after some time, I get a knot value entered.

The thing is though, how am I to assess the ship's speed if my periscope is locked on the ship the whole time? I'm aware of the 3min 15sec system and utilised it on my first kill, but I'm talking specifically about the attack periscope when you're lining up the shot. Anyone know what the issue might be? I don't know what the game wants me to time when I'm locked on to the target because surely I can't time it moving bow-to-stern if the periscope is moving with it can I? Yet this is the only way the notepad records a knot speed and enters it into the computer, so I'm stumped as to what it is it wants me to measure.

Anyone have any familiarity or ideas? I honestly expect this isn't a glitch so much as I'm probably overlooking something obvious. If this has been answered before I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction; I did have a search of the forum posts but didn't see anything that addressed this specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Hi there. Basically the notepad system for attaining the value for target speed is an automatic process. The idea is once you've identified, ranged and entered the AOB value, you click the little timer icon on the notepad for speed, remaining locked on target for around 30 seconds. When you stop the timer the value appears on the notepad, then click the tick icon to send data to TDC. This value isn't always 100% accurate but it's usually fairly close if you've gotten everything else correct.

Timing the target from bow to stern is an alternative method for gathering speed outside of the notepad system. Once you've timed the ship across your scope there are several ways to find the speed in knots, typically using some tool such as RAOBF or U-Jagd chronometer. Those are only available with additional mods, such as ARB Widegui for example. If you don't have those but would still like to do it that way, you could use this formula: 1.94 x ship length (meters) / time (seconds) = speed in knots. All the best!
To add to that, best is to get an idea on the speed... of your vict... erhm... target, of opportunity here... before doing the rest as you outlined. After lock on, can then enter that speed estimate & then proceed on your merry way of entering the other info.

Of course, I suggest too, reading up on what was offered up here, by derstosstrupp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246723

M. M.
Old 04-05-22, 05:35 AM   #6
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246723

I missed this the first time. Outstanding as usual, many thanks !
Old 04-05-22, 12:09 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

Icon1 Re: Welcome aboard...

Mr Salad Monday.!
Old 04-17-22, 01:43 PM   #8
Mr Salad Monday
Nub

Downloads: 0

Thanks for the replies gents. I do get the impression the answers here cover my problem, just that I wasn't aware what I was doing wrong/out of order. Next time I'm in I'll have the thread open and see if I spot the problem.

As the posters here have implied, its most likely that I was calculating the firing solution out of order, and didn't have the necessary information yet for the notepad to calculate the target speed.

Plus side, I did manage to down 30,000 GRT in a Type II sub at 86% difficulty, knots or no knots, so I have to be doing something right, right?
Mr Salad Monday is offline   Reply With Quote