SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-22, 04:26 AM   #1
zaphod107
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default All gauges stuck at "high Noon"

I'm running GWX / OneAlex and found after loading a patrol in progress that all of my gauges are stuck at "high Noon" positions... battery charge, depth, oxy level, speed, engine telegraphs, etc. Can't move my sonar, either (also in same position). Any thoughts? Thanks!
zaphod107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 04:42 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Re: Welcome aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod107 View Post
I'm running GWX / OneAlex and found after loading a patrol in progress that all of my gauges are stuck at "high Noon" positions... battery charge, depth, oxy level, speed, engine telegraphs, etc. Can't move my sonar, either (also in same position). Any thoughts? Thanks!
zaphod107.! 1st off, welcome aboard...

Ok, now... that, that is out of the way...

In short, probable cause... shelling out of the game/sim... either you doing it or the operating system, doing so.

2 solutions... hog tie the op sys to NOT send you so much garbage notifies... & disable some of them, too... is 1...

# 2 is, slap your hands, each time 'you' shell out of the game/sim... to remind yourself, NOT to do that...

Though, in all seriousness... learn to NOT do that... shelling out. For anything.

Use your phone or tablet... your laptop, if you have a spare besides a desktop pc...

Quick method, is finish out your patrol... head back to base &... dock.

That, or back out, quit & then reload an earlier on save... either will work here.

Though, there is a possibility of a sub or ship.... (a.i. wise, here... ) could have something bolluxed up in its ID, that could possibly cause this to occur, too....

Am sure propbeanie, well remembers that incident...

I ran into it & a few others, as I recall... in FotRS/SH4... 1 of the early on editions... think it was... v1.39, maybe the 1 before that... was a bit back... & the ol' logic circuits are getting a bit dusty, with age & all the wear & tear on it...

Any who... hope this info helps... as always...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 04-14-22 at 02:52 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 11:36 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

zaphod107!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 04:07 PM   #4
zaphod107
Nub

Default Thanks for the suggestions!

Definitely didn't shell out. Just a simple save, quit the game, came back, loaded up and gauges stuck. I was afraid of the second possibility - about docking and what-not. Shame, as I was just getting into some action. Ah, well.

Happy Hunting!!
Old 04-14-22, 04:17 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod107 View Post
Definitely didn't shell out. Just a simple save, quit the game, came back, loaded up and gauges stuck. I was afraid of the second possibility - about docking and what-not. Shame, as I was just getting into some action. Ah, well.

Happy Hunting!!
Doesn't have to be... scary. Just simply do the best as able to, what with the dials stuck at '12', as you head back to base... manage to sink some tonnage, dock... & on the next leaving base... the dials should be reset back to normal.

Shelling out, is just 1 possibility, as I mentioned... could be that a target ship, aka enemy ship... wasn't set up right. This could also apply to a sub... as I recall, as experienced in SH4's Fall of the Rising Sun work up.

I would have said, on doing a save, exit then reboot & load up last save... but... in this instance, won't work like that. Been there, Done that... before.

As with serious damages to the sub, with equipment, the dials getting stuck at 12 or in this case, high non... won't fall for that workaround...

As stated... it's nothing to be scared of. Just watch what you're doing, & you should make it back to base to dock, then continue your career... preferably, without any more of that occurring... of course.

But... should it happen yet again... at least then, you'll know what to do.

M. M.
Old 04-15-22, 07:16 PM   #6
zaphod107
Nub

Default Heh, figured it out...

I ran the same patrol from first save and saved a couple times during the patrol. All the saves show up as "noon", again. So, what I need to do is pause and never save, apparently. I have to go the full run. So, I gird my loins and I'll find out if the run will work after a computer sleep recovery. Funny thing is that I didn't have this problem until recently. I wonder if the Windows 10 10H2 / 11H2 update mucked around. Wouldn't hurt to reinstall the whole thing.
Old 04-20-22, 02:26 AM   #7
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

The gauge bug is as old as SH3 and even made it to SH4. There's nothing you can do about it, sometimes it just happens. The gaugea should be corrwct as soon as you start the next patrol, though.
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 03:23 AM   #8
Tabris
Gunner

Downloads: 171

Hi guys, truly sorry if posting in a 1-year old thread is considered necroing, but I'd like to report on what caused and solved this bug for me, in case it might help anyone else.

I saw this bug for the first time after making some changes to the campaign files, changes which I considered fairly insignificant, but I guess I was wrong.

I had added a bunch of traffic around Brest and St Naz, just for eyecandy. Probably around 15 extra merchants, 7 extra warships, and at least 10 docked or moving submarines per port. When I saw this thread, I immediately went and deleted all the changes I made to the SCR layer, but the bug persisted quite consistently. Right before giving up, I remembered I'd made changes to the LND layer as well, which consisted only of changing ownership of bases/cities. In practice, this entailed deleting some enemy/neutral bases, and extending the spawn duration as friendly bases. I also added some bases around Britain, and moved the St Naz base so the spawnpoint would be in the drydock instead of the bunker. To be clear, this was just the "naval base" object that makes a city appear on the navigation map, nothing more, I did not add or remove any other land units. Well replacing Campaign_LND with its original, unmodded version solved the bug for me. I haven't gone back and re-added the extra ship and sub traffic, but I may do so since it seems pretty clear that it was the LND file specifically that was causing instability.

If you're also an amateur campaign editor, be on the lookout for this bug and always do a test patrol before making multiple changes.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote