SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-10, 11:17 AM   #331
cptroyce
Gunner

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Just as a heads up, I will have some time in the upcoming weeks to work on the mod.

The lineup of submarines has been changed slightly - I will probably add the UB-III class because they are pretty similar in appearance and layout to the WWII type VII's. Both had the 4 bow - 1 stern TT configuration, and they both share a more rounded hull cross-section compared to the earlier WWI submarines.

I regret that I seemed to be jumping from one area of the mod to another, but I seem to work better that way, for some reason. Anyway, stay tuned.
Great news Iambecomelife..there is alot of interest in your project. I for one am looking forward to it!

Royce
cptroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 03:47 PM   #332
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Thanks, Capt. Morgane. I am quite interested in the KuK side of the u-boat warfare. I will include them one day in my project.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 04:13 PM   #333
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

This can be for me the best mod ever! I´m looking forward.
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 03:43 AM   #334
Admiral8Q
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef von Posorschitz View Post
This can be for me the best mod ever! I´m looking forward.
Same here. A WW1 mod would be really interesting!

Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 08:26 AM   #335
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I know it's silly but I keep checking this thread a few times a day!
Wishful thinking!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 09:31 PM   #336
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I know it's silly but I keep checking this thread a few times a day!
Wishful thinking!
I will keep working as fast as possible!

There's some more good news - I found a large number of the 3d models that were going to be included in the "Project 25" WWI subsim (which was abandoned incomplete several years ago). I've been a huge admirer of JKLM's work, and it seems that even though he stopped work on his sim he continued to improve the ships & human figures that he had created. I won't be purchasing any of his 3d models, but the screenshots I've found offer valuable information about what several important WWI vessels (and the submarine U-88) looked like. This is a big help since sources like "Conway's" will usually only depict vessels in a black & white profile view.

BTW, thanks Capt. Morgan and everyone else who has posted links or illustrations.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 05-30-10 at 10:01 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 12:55 AM   #337
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Excellent news!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 10:19 AM   #338
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I would like some information on an interesting tactic used by the British: apparently, several trawlers were converted as "mother ships" for small submarines, which were secured by cables to the surface vessel and remained underwater. As the U-Boat maneuvered to board the trawler, the British sub would launch an underwater torpedo attack. At least one U-Boat was sunk this way, and there may have been more. If anyone has details on what types of subs were used, diagrams, how many conversions were done, and what year the British began using this system, it would be most helpful.
Old 05-31-10, 03:15 PM   #339
Butz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

That was part of the Q ship project, started in 1915. A trawler, having a telepehone connection to a british sub, who was attacked requested help by the sub. It was only mildly successful, for example sinking U40 in june 1915. Q boats (with and mostly without subs helping them) were responsible for sinking 14 German U-boats and damaging 60 more. In addition to that one british sub was mistaken and sunk by friendly fire. 27 (out of about 200) Q-boats were destroyed by German U-boats.
More infos can be found on http://www.gwpda.org/naval/rnqships.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship

In addition to that I can give you quite some construction plans of subs, mostly of the big U-Kreuzer class (U-Deutschland, U-139 and beyond), if you can use those. just send me a private message with your mail and I'll scan those plans once I find the time to.
Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 03:20 PM   #340
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

If you could use a few Air Ships from that era?
I'd be happy to do a few.
I do have a Submarine Scout nearly done.
Old 05-31-10, 07:38 PM   #341
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
If you could use a few Air Ships from that era?
I'd be happy to do a few.
I do have a Submarine Scout nearly done.
Thank you so much. I have a stripped down version of the "K-Ship" on my HD that I was going to use as a parent for Zeps & British airships (if permission was granted). That would save a lot of work.

Thanks for your post, Butz - I'll contact you after I make some space in my box.
Old 06-01-10, 06:12 PM   #342
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'd love to do some of the earlier Air Ships.
I live like 98 miles from Akron, Ohio.

Home of many Air Ships over the years.
I've even visited the Hangers there in the past.
(Most are gone now, sadly.)
Old 06-03-10, 08:28 PM   #343
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Airships were the eyes of the German High Seas Fleet, and a significant factor in operations. Airships would be a great additon esp if you could get a camera into one for some special missions.

good to see this continuing,
Old 06-03-10, 08:34 PM   #344
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Airships were the eyes of the German High Seas Fleet, and a significant factor in operations. Airships would be a great additon esp if you could get a camera into one for some special missions.

good to see this continuing,
I think it's technically possible to have them as a playable unit, although of course a detailed flight model wouldn't be included.

Interestingly, the K-Ships in SH3 seem to behave much more aggressively than other types of aircraft - IIRC they actually maneuver and try to dogfight enemy aircraft. There was some aerial combat in WWI between airplanes and airships, so if current airship AI is retained it could make for dramatic scenes if I manage to get this whole project completed.
Old 06-03-10, 08:36 PM   #345
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
There's some more good news - I found a large number of the 3d models that were going to be included in the "Project 25" WWI subsim (which was abandoned incomplete several years ago). I've been a huge admirer of JKLM's work, and it seems that even though he stopped work on his sim he continued to improve the ships & human figures that he had created. I won't be purchasing any of his 3d models, but the screenshots I've found offer valuable information about what several important WWI vessels (and the submarine U-88) looked like. This is a big help since sources like "Conway's" will usually only depict vessels in a black & white profile view.
Oh is he still around ? Where is his work on display now ?
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote