SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-16, 07:48 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

cool The $1500 Dell XPS 15 vs. the $1500 MacBook Pro 13

I have the XPS 15, and it is amazing. It's like the power of a desktop, but in a light thin laptop. It's good for games and work.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30610...ok-pro-13.html

Quote:
The fans have spoken. It wasn’t enough last year for me to compare Microsoft’s Surface Book to Apple’s MacBook Pro 13. Silly me, I figured a dual-core 13-inch laptop should go up against a dual-core 13-inch laptop. But nooooo, fans cried: For this to be a “fair fight,” I should have pitted the Surface Book against a MacBook Pro 15.

Normally, comparing the 4.5-pound, 15-inch, quad-core MacBook Pro 15 to the 3.3-pound, 13-inch, dual-core Surface Book would be just the sort of Apple-to-orange mismatch I’d never consider. But the fans argued the price was the thing—comparing a loaded-up, $2,699 Surface Book to a top-of-the-line, $2,700 MacBook Pro 15 was “truly fair.”

Well OK then, fans: You want it, you got it. Let’s ignore form factor and focus on price and performance, and see what happens.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a current MacBook Pro 15 to put up against a Surface Book, so I decided to do the next best thing: Put a $1,500 Dell XPS 15 (config here in Dell’s store) up against a $1,500 MacBook Pro 13 (here’s the config in the Apple store).

Same price. Same everything? Hardly. Read on to see just what you get for the money.
Old 05-12-16, 01:05 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

And it's what is to be expected. Dollar for dollar Apple can't hold a candle to PC architecture. For Apple you are paying a premium price for the coolness of being in an Apple guilded cage. There are advantages to that, but velue is not one of them.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 03:16 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yes, that's true, plus Apple is a boutique brand where the user feels better using it as opposed to PC. Just watch any film or TV show, 96% of the time the laptops they show have the illuminated Apple logo.

I'm not saying Apple isn't really good stuff, but I don't think the MacBook Pro can hold a candle to the new Dell XPS's.

One thing for sure, since I started relying on a laptop all the time, it really was a step up from my old Dell budget laptop to this XPS15. Like going from a Big Wheel to a Corvette,