SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-16, 01:40 PM   #1
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Win 7 Safe Boot ?

Hi all,

Recently had to reinstall 7. All was good, installed SP1 from a safe source (not MS) ran GWX control, also a couple other scripts (DWS_Lite, and one other, ( See Tweakhound, author has asked for no direct links so please read thru his site) )Okay so each and every update I take, and this is essential only, checks ok with all 3 anti 10 scripts/progs. All good, then suddenly no can boot into safe mode............... puzzling the begeezus outta me. What update can possibly stop a rb into safe mode?

This is the scenario......

Boot
Hit F8
Win7 loads the usual menu
I hit "SAFE MODE"
Boot loads minimal drivers
Screen shows crap res screen as should be...................

Now box black screens........ reboots.......... BANG !! no safe mode.

Just normal, Win working like normal stuff........... but I want safe mode !!!!!!

Any ideas chaps, I even tried DDU to get into safe mode with the same result, this has to be an update thing but which update beats the hell outta me.

I tried googling this but all searches result in an assumption I can't boot at all

This is really doing my head in, pm me for any nfo on the scripts I'm usnig for KB removal and hiding
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-16, 01:10 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I'd say the best stragegy is to first make it run. Then slap on all the safeguards. Downloading SP1 from a non-Microsoft site is always a risk. I would update from Windows Update only, hiding the kbs that have been found to be Windows 10 upgrade related only.

Doesn't matter if you get a few mixed Win 10/security upgrades, GWX Control Panel will still protect you there. Once you have Windows 7 operating to spec, THEN apply the security stuff you want, one by one to test for booting to safe mode.

Make it work.
Then make it work good.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-16, 02:59 PM   #3
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Icon9

@RR

Thanks for the reply mate. Ok so some history:

Win 7 Ultimate 64

SP1 installed and all fine.

Boot into safe mode all good..........

Hmm now here comes the difficult part............... if I may can I direct you here and get your thoughts.............. BTW, I have used TH as a resource for years, never failed me yet, so the url for my update sequence:

https://tweakhound.com/2011/07/27/2460/

More to the point is this;

"Windows Update
Above I said to download the following Windows Update:

Link to KB3102810 edited out, see TH page for link:

Install it now and reboot.
Now Run Windows Update. Deselect everything and install Internet Explorer 11 there and reboot.
Block Windows 10 upgrade (GWX) related nonsense by using GWX Control Panel. Run it now and reboot.
Now run Windows Update and keep running it until all Critical Updates are installed and any Optional Updates you want are installed. Updated drivers may be available too.
Optional – After all critical updates are installed Run Windows Update but do not install anything. Close Windows update then run my script here:
https://tweakhound.com/2015/11/01/re...n-windows-7-2/
Then Run Windows Update again and install any/all optional updates"

This has also been regimented, before any serious/suspicious updates.

https://tweakhound.com/2015/11/01/re...n-windows-7-2/

Sorry for the included links in the url's , however you/we may find them usefull.

I am now in the process of back tracking and uninstalling updates but this is seemingly becoming futile. All "Updates" save those that are listed as security are now uninstalled except:

KB3020369 , KB2533552 , KB976902 all three of which will not uninstall

Thanks for your help, any input greatly appreciated.

Very best regards

Fubar2Niner

Last edited by Fubar2Niner; 05-12-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 08:36 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Lots of good ideas in your second link you posted there. I'm not a believer in two partitions on the same hard drive. When the drive takes a dump, both partitions are typically eaten. I would MUCH rather have data on a separate drive altogether. Also keep in mind that some programs don't get with the program and insist in keeping their data in non-standard locations no matter what you do.

Therefore the best solution is not to worry too much about moving those personal data directories. Your data isn't the most critical thing you need to preserve anyway, even though it's very important. The most important thing is all your settings for each application and Windows itself, your bookmarks, your e-mail addresses, your browser preferences, your downloaded software that isn't installed through Windows install .msi or .exe processes, so are not represented in the registry, and then of course the registry itself!

The best solution is to organize any way you please, for whatever reasons blow your skirt up and then to use a program like Acronis True Image or the excellent and free Veeam Endpoint Backup to make disk images of hard drives with difficult to replace stuff on them, especially your system partitions.

That way you have your computer in a time capsule, in a single file, which when restored will resurrect your entire system, Windows, programs and data with all settings, bookmarks, e-mails and addresses.... When you restore it's like you never left.

Remember that when your critical hard drive bites the big one, it takes your backup program with it. A critical step in your backup strategy is to make a bootable CD/DVD or flash drive with the restore software on it. Both Acronis and Veeam make this a one button procedure.

Lately Acronis has gone crazy with the social and cloud stuff and made their software very difficult to work with. I recommend Veeam Endpoint Backup as the superior solution.

Danger! The first link with the scripts entirely duplicates the work of the much superior GWX Control Panel and may conflict with it in unpredictable ways. I wouldn't install those on a bet. GWX Control Panel has had to be changed three different times as Microsoft tries to subvert attempts to avoid Windows 10 assimilation and these scripts are totally static. Are they still valid? Do the changes they make now harm your system instead of innoculate it? How would you even know?

GWX Control Panel is under continuous review and updated to ensure that it operates to protect you from unauthorized updates to Windows 10. It also has easy off switches in case you change your mind and decide to go to the dark side. Those scripts have no such adaptability. Trash 'em. They aren't needed.

I also recommend installing Spybot Anti-Beacon to control Microsoft telemetry. Some changes to Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 have been to import some of the Windows 10 privacy invasion to the older operating systems. Spybot Anti-Beacon prevents that from being a problem and keeps you aware of where your info is being beamed to the mother ship.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-13-16 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 01:35 PM   #5
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Icon14 UPDATE

@RR please see your PM.

A word of warning to everyone using a Killer Bigfoot Ethernet nic. Install the stand alone drivers, DO NOT USE THE SUITE !!! This was the cause of all my issues.

I would like to extend my thanks to Rockin Robbins publicly for all his help.... I owe you one mate!

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Old 05-17-16, 02:22 PM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Glad to see you back, Fube.

I think RR is completely right about partitioned drives, especially with all these computer ransome attacks now too... I decided to keep everything important on a detachable hard drive, then it only costs you a reinstall

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-17-16 at 02:41 PM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 09:20 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Yes, if your system backup image is on a connected drive, ransomware will detect it and lock you out of your backup! Always connect, then back up, then disconnect! If your computer can't see it ransomware can't lock it up.