SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-16, 09:33 AM   #1
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

radar Which office?

I still got MS Office 2003 which is now long in the tooth and I don't want to buy their new version. I have been looking at two free ones and wondering which one is the best one to go for.

Apache OpenOffice
http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html

Or

LibreOffice 5
http://www.libreoffice.org

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 10:11 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

I've only used Apache, but it has served its purpose just fine.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-16, 11:44 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Depends on what you need. if you have diverse and highly professional demands, Open Office. If you can afford a bit more relaxed attitude, I would prefer Libre Office (which I only know under Linux).

Open Office sometimes had me endlessly searching for a function.

Anyhow, for ordinary text editing, both get the job done - with flying colours. Personally, I tend towards Libre Office, but I cannot give you a killer argument for that. I also prefer the bit more colpourful presentation and style (talking about the Linux version, I do not know whether the Windows version is and looks different).

Last Microsoft stuff I tried in these regards, was edition 2010. Never liked their new menu style, and until today see no reason for myself why I would need to fall back to Microsoft, regarding typical office software. I liked the older versions of Word much better.
Old 05-07-16, 01:30 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Both Open Office and Libre Office are branches off the same tree and very similar. I find that Open Office has a higher variety of import filters, which occasionally is important to me. I have them both installed for when I infrequently find a function I need in one but not the other. They both use the open document format (MUCH better than Microsoft's proprietary formats) so changing back and forth is seamless and 100% compatible--just like any two computer programs should play nice with each other.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 04:33 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

I tried Apache few years ago and removed it because their was some sort of issue with it, I trust it is all sorted now. I notice on reading up up on LibreOffice 5 more work and updates have gone into this one unlike Apache and has a higher recommendation. I think the best way is too give them both a try and see which one suites me.

Just one more quick question can both of them open MS office 2003 documents? More in the case of Word 2003.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 05-08-16, 04:51 AM   #6
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

I went with Libre for a free suite.

Recently bought Office 13 as the missus is doing a course, and was a requirement.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 07:12 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Just one more quick question can both of them open MS office 2003 documents? More in the case of Word 2003.
As far as I know, yes. I use Apache and have no problems with it. It will also save in MS formats as well as its own.
Old 05-08-16, 01:58 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

General rule: Linux and Linux derived programs understand Microsoft better than Microsoft programs. They read and write FAT, FAT32, NTFS, more reliably and with fewer restrictions than Microsoft programs. Free Linux partition software is better than paid PC partition software and does flawless surgery on any Microsoft disk. Linux programs read and write Microsoft format files better than Microsoft programs do. That means that .doc, .xls and other Office 2003 formats are flawlessly read by both office suites, plus many other Linux based office programs.

However, Microsoft operating systems and programs have no clue what to do with world standard formatted Linux software files like open document files from Libre Office or Open Office. Windows will not acknowledge a disk formatted in any Linux scheme whether ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, Reiser v3,or vfat. It will not even issue them a drive letter. Arrogance is what that behavior is called and it should call for contempt.

Therefore, look for where the software you considering for came from. If it's a Windows port of a Linux program, like Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, Libre Office, Windirstat, Clementine or 7-zip file manager, be assured that it will be all about communication and interoperability. If you are using a Microsoft operating system or program it is all about proprietary exclusion and forcing you to use their format while keeping you from communicating with the world and charging you a premium price to be so restricted.
Old 05-08-16, 03:07 PM   #9
STEED
Lucky Jack

I start testing both out this Monday and see which one I like the most.

I'm going to still use MS Office 2003 because I like the look and hate the later versions of it just for my personal files.

Spring clean next week on the PC and clear off stuff I no longer use or need.

Old 05-08-16, 03:59 PM   #10
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Office 2003 is still perfectly ok, and imho there is no need to go to another version. Especially after Office 2007 the menues become completely unlogical and cluttered, and UGLY.

Only disadvantage would be reading documents which have been created using Office 2010 or higher with the *.docx type, since those cannot be read by the older Office version. But there are workarounds and converters.

There is also Open Office for free, by Sun. You can download it at the usual places, and it is completely legal. But it is HUGE and takes some time to dl...

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-16, 10:05 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I use Office 2003 all the time and load .xlsx and .docx files directly with a compatibility pack published and installed through Windows Update. I'm really surprised Microsoft lets me use 2003 at all because I like it better by far than current products.

Open Office and Libre Office are smaller than Microsoft Office 2003. And they have no compatibility problems with Windows 7 like the higher priced spread does.
Old 05-11-16, 11:59 AM   #12
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I start testing both out this Monday and see which one I like the most.

I'm going to still use MS Office 2003 because I like the look and hate the later versions of it just for my personal files.
I still use and like Office 2003.... compatible Word docs and Excel spreadsheets. My email is sorted online; known spam -> spam folder, email from whomever (not on my whitelist) -> 'suspect mail', all known email I download. I've never had a problem related to Outlook.

I looked at Thunderbird email, Open Office & Libre Office. Of the three (two) I liked Open Office because its Suite can open and save in Word doc format, Spreadsheets etc. and seems/feels more 'natural' to use.

I'll be interested in your thoughts after your experiment. I still prefer old Office 2003, however I know I need something else for today's docs & XL sheets.

Last edited by aanker; 05-11-16 at 12:31 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-16, 08:52 AM   #13
STEED
Lucky Jack

OK both are now installed and both need Java runtime environment to run the databases. Is it safe to go ahead and install?

In the mean time I am taking a look at both and sizing them up.

Old 05-14-16, 09:04 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Office 2003 is still perfectly ok, and imho there is no need to go to another version. Especially after Office 2007 the menues become completely unlogical and cluttered, and UGLY.

Only disadvantage would be reading documents which have been created using Office 2010 or higher with the *.docx type, since those cannot be read by the older Office version. But there are workarounds and converters.

There is also Open Office for free, by Sun. You can download it at the usual places, and it is completely legal. But it is HUGE and takes some time to dl...
Yes, I agree. I have been using Office 2007 and I still feel unfamiliar with the interface and menus.
Old 05-14-16, 09:59 AM   #15
STEED
Lucky Jack

Just tried out Presentation on both of them creating short slide shows with sound and effects. Both were straight forward and easy to pick up.