SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-16, 09:30 AM   #1
wmcannon
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default HELP!! WINDOWS 10 is Killing Me

Hi Folks, I have been playing SH3 with for several years. Unfortunately, I upgraded my system recently to windows 10 and I cannot get SH3 to load again. This is driving me CRAZY. Here’s what I have tried:

I loaded SH3 from a US version DVD onto my computer (a check of the DVD files indicate they were created on the disk in 9/27/2007). This is the original disk I purchased and have used for three or four years.

I installed the game in c:\SilentHunter. (I created a separate folder on the “c” drive). After loading the game I hit “Quit” and closed the game.

I downloaded: US DVD Patch 1.4b from Ubisoft and saved to a separate folder on the “c” drive.

When I attempted to install US DVD Patch 1.4b I received the Error Message:

Silent Hunter III Download v1.0 to V1.3
This Program cannot update the installed version of Silent Hunter III because of the following reasons: C:\SilentHunterIII\Mission Engine.dll: unknown version.

I then downloaded GWX3-1 thru7 and saved them to my desktop. I opened the file and installed GWX3.

I restarted the system and started GWX. The game began normally and allowed me to select my crew and change the Realism settings. I selected a start year of 1940 departing Lorient. When I selected the start button the game appeared to be loading and at the completion Crashed to Desktop.

My System:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 16GB
Hard Drive 1: 119.24GB LITEON (SSD) (SH3 is loaded here)
Hard Drive 2: 931.51GB Seagate (HHD)
Graphics Devise: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Windows 10

I love this game and this is killing me.

Is there a posting that discusses issues with loading SH3 while utilizing Windows 10? Step by step instructions?
Where should I save the patches?

How can I determine if I do indeed have the patched version? (I assume so since I played this game for three or four years before upgrading to Windows 10).

Where should I save GXW3? Please help.
wmcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 10:13 AM   #2
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 315

Maybe you can find help in this thread:

> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218037

-clay

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 10:18 AM   #3
wmcannon
Swabbie

Nope, no help there, but thanks.
Old 03-31-16, 10:28 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

wmcannon!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 10:36 AM   #5
wmcannon
Swabbie

Thanks Aktungbby. I've been on SubSim awhile, never posted anything. Now I really need some help.
Old 03-31-16, 12:01 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I would suggest downloading VirtualBox. Inside VirtualBox you can install Windows XP. It will run SH3 just like it was designed to run. I'd be glad to answer questions if you're interested.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 04:32 PM   #7
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Sounds like you've got the wrong patch for SH3. Therefore GWX won't start properly either.

IIRC, they're not always labelled correctly either, which doesn't help.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 04:41 PM   #8
wmcannon
Swabbie

I checked the properties of the program, version 1.4. Thanks
Old 03-31-16, 04:45 PM   #9
wmcannon
Swabbie

Rockin Robbins, Thanks! I'm gonna go with your suggestion. I need to purchase Windows XP.

Old 04-01-16, 12:24 PM   #10
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Regarding Virtual Drive, do you also need the key code for installing XP or is the disk sufficient? (I think I have a couple of them)
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 05:58 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Regarding Virtual Drive, do you also need the key code for installing XP or is the disk sufficient? (I think I have a couple of them)
Yes, although you can install from any Windows XP installation disk you need a key code for that version. You could easily obtain one by finding someone tossing a Windows XP computer, pay him $10 for the piece of junk.

Then install that version of Windows XP into the VirtualBox client, using the keycode you bought from that person. Retire his machine. Then you're totally legal and above board. You'll have to activate it over the telephone, which is an entirely automated procedure that takes just a couple of minutes and then you're off to the races. As long as his machine runs, you can get the key code even if he has lost it. Download and run Belarc Advisor, which gives you a complete printout of all the software and operating system on your machine with the key codes for all!

One fabulous advantage of going the VirtualBox route is that you can set up a single-purpose machine, which is used only to run Silent Hunter 3. Or Silent Hunter 4. I'd just shut off the virtual machine's access to the Internet after you're totally updated. There will be no further XP updates anyway.

And since DragonRider busted me in the other thread and exposed the fact I must disclose that I don't know anything about computers and only parrot what I read from the back of milk cartons during my job working graveyard shift at the 7-11. Sometimes I ignorantly send links to websites I accidentally stumble into but they are the limit of my knowledge. Actually I don't even read them before I post the link into the thread.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-01-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 06:16 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcannon View Post
I checked the properties of the program, version 1.4. Thanks
That's the problem, right there. The version you have is already 1.4, and the "US DVD Patch 1.4b" won't work because it's not needed.

Try running the game as it is. I play on Windows 10 all the time, with GWX, SH3 Commander and a bunch of mods, with no problems at all. Though VirtualBox is nice (I use it for an old ballistics calculator program), it's not needed to run SH3, nor is XP.
Old 04-01-16, 06:18 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And since DragonRider busted me in the other thread and exposed the fact I must disclose that I don't know anything about computers and only parrot what I read from the back of milk cartons during my job working graveyard shift at the 7-11.
Jimbuna also asked both of you to tone down the personal bits. There's no need to drag it here other than that you want to grind that axe some more.

Please keep it civil.
Old 04-01-16, 06:19 PM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Sailor Steve plays a lot more SH3 than I do. I'd try his advice before I did anything else.
Old 04-03-16, 09:11 AM   #15
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That's the problem, right there. The version you have is already 1.4, and the "US DVD Patch 1.4b" won't work because it's not needed.

Try running the game as it is. I play on Windows 10 all the time, with GWX, SH3 Commander and a bunch of mods, with no problems at all. Though VirtualBox is nice (I use it for an old ballistics calculator program), it's not needed to run SH3, nor is XP.
I was just wondering if the game crashes while loading the start has the user installed the 4GB patch this sometimes helps with this problem have you got it installed steve