SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-21, 09:29 PM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default (FORTSU) Consistent storm for many days, weeks even

I am on my first patrol out of Manila in a Gar-class boat, and the weather is annoying to say the least. For the last many days it has been storming with 15 kt winds, heavy rain and fog that severely restricts visibility. That's not how the weather works in this part of the world, and I know because I live here.

It may storm but every storm typically lasts and hour or so. Never for days on end.

I'm not sure if this is mod-related or something about the vanilla game. In any case is there a way to tweak this? Thanks.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 11:55 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
I am on my first patrol out of Manila in a Gar-class boat, and the weather is annoying to say the least. For the last many days it has been storming with 15 kt winds, heavy rain and fog that severely restricts visibility. That's not how the weather works in this part of the world, and I know because I live here.

It may storm but every storm typically lasts and hour or so. Never for days on end.

I'm not sure if this is mod-related or something about the vanilla game. In any case is there a way to tweak this? Thanks.

One of those inherent bugs in SH 4, sim pulls the weather from multiple files and believe is hardcoded as well and tends to get stuck at times in cycles.

I noticed since I went through ALL of the files...campaign traffic, patrol objectives, etc and altered the cycles there is more stability in the weather, less tendency to storm like it is the Atlantic lol. Your location on the map (planet earth) also comes into play.

ctrl+n will change the weather when it gets stuck...usually a slight delay but will change it.

One factor that causes stick is high time compression, going above 1056x seems to "break" the weather.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 01:44 AM   #3
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Thank you.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 12:07 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The weather in the game is on a "timer", and has a given percentage chance of a change at those clock intervals. It might change, it might not. Using the Ctrl-N combo will re-set the clock, nothing more, but it does give another chance of a change once the "time" runs again, which is generally set to a five hour period of time in the game. There is a fine line between a "normal" weather cycle, and a stuck weather cycle, no matter what you do with the game. The weather gets "stuck" in Stock and all mods. The problem with this also is that the weather only goes from 0 (zero) to 15 ms winds, so you never really get into typhoon weather. Most folks don't like to see ships sink in bad weather, which did/does happen in real life, but can happen entirely too often in the game, even with just 15ms winds, so most mods calm the weather down a bit.

As Bubblehead1980 pointed out, Time Compression (TC) can absolutely wreck the weather, as well as a few other aspects of the game. The clock for the weather does not seem to understand TC, or has a bad algorithm for such. The higher you go, the worse it gets. Also, as with all things SH4, shelling-out to Windows can and does cause issues, and like Saving the game, will re-set all "clocks" involved in the gameplay. SH4 uses the DirectX v9 "clock", and as such does not save its "state" with the game, hence a re-set back to zero time when re-loading or re-entering the game. This also messes with repair times on your boat, if you have taken damage.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 12:29 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The weather in the game is on a "timer", and has a given percentage chance of a change at those clock intervals. It might change, it might not. Using the Ctrl-N combo will re-set the clock, nothing more, but it does give another chance of a change once the "time" runs again, which is generally set to a five hour period of time in the game. There is a fine line between a "normal" weather cycle, and a stuck weather cycle, no matter what you do with the game. The weather gets "stuck" in Stock and all mods. The problem with this also is that the weather only goes from 0 (zero) to 15 ms winds, so you never really get into typhoon weather. Most folks don't like to see ships sink in bad weather, which did/does happen in real life, but can happen entirely too often in the game, even with just 15ms winds, so most mods calm the weather down a bit.

As Bubblehead1980 pointed out, Time Compression (TC) can absolutely wreck the weather, as well as a few other aspects of the game. The clock for the weather does not seem to understand TC, or has a bad algorithm for such. The higher you go, the worse it gets. Also, as with all things SH4, shelling-out to Windows can and does cause issues, and like Saving the game, will re-set all "clocks" involved in the gameplay. SH4 uses the DirectX v9 "clock", and as such does not save its "state" with the game, hence a re-set back to zero time when re-loading or re-entering the game. This also messes with repair times on your boat, if you have taken damage.

In the mission files, patrol objective files, all the campaign files basically I increased weather interval. Five hours left sim often with weather so bi polar, majority of which was Atlantic like when in the South Pacific lol. Not a perfect fix but it does help. I increased to 36 hours and was more stable than before, but going to increase to see if will work better. Of course, there are still elements hardcoded I am sure.
Old 12-11-21, 09:58 AM   #6
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
In the mission files, patrol objective files, all the campaign files basically I increased weather interval. Five hours left sim often with weather so bi polar, majority of which was Atlantic like when in the South Pacific lol. Not a perfect fix but it does help. I increased to 36 hours and was more stable than before, but going to increase to see if will work better. Of course, there are still elements hardcoded I am sure.
Bubblehead1980 hey ...
it's really cool that you tackle this weather problem because until now it's a big problem I would even say that the sky is not terrible it's boring in an old thread I understood that
"volumetric clouds & fog by Rubini v2.2" the "scene.sim" file could work but when reloading the save the clouds disappeared again ... in the hope that you will fix this good luck ...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 11:36 AM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Bubblehead1980 hey ...
it's really cool that you tackle this weather problem because until now it's a big problem I would even say that the sky is not terrible it's boring in an old thread I understood that
"volumetric clouds & fog by Rubini v2.2" the "scene.sim" file could work but when reloading the save the clouds disappeared again ... in the hope that you will fix this good luck ...

There are certain issues associated with reloading saved games I am not sure how to adjust, seems to be a bug with SH 4. However, I have plenty of clouds and changes on my end. Share you exact mod list. If running any environmental mods or mods with environmental changes, could be the culprit.
Old 12-12-21, 02:57 PM   #8
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
There are certain issues associated with reloading saved games I am not sure how to adjust, seems to be a bug with SH 4. However, I have plenty of clouds and changes on my end. Share you exact mod list. If running any environmental mods or mods with environmental changes, could be the culprit.
no I unfortunately do not have a magic solution for the moment otherwise I would gladly let you know .. but from the start I am convinced that this problem of smoke and clouds are linked to a problem of pilots which does not manage properly texture filtering and other ... why are we having official SH.3 drivers then after nothing SH4 & SH5 no official drivers .. so no optimization is that from the start of the game launch ... a shame for a house like this ...
we should demand an update from Ubisoft for Nvdia & AMD I call it a **** shout once again it does not respect their obligation towards the consumer .. Sincerely KM_U669
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-21, 05:18 AM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Bubblehead1980 hey ...
This cloud issue is fixable. You need to set your submarine as the parent generator for the cloud objects in the environment via S3ditor. Each player submarine needs to be modified this way, so it is kind of time consuming but worth it. I will experiment to see if an easier fix can be developed.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-21, 09:13 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That does function rather nicely, iambecomelife. That was an excellent idea in that thread. No hit whatsoever, as with the normal mod. We might institute that in the next release of FotRSU. The "clouds" stay with the sub, and re-spawn upon loading a Save, though they are still random, and not exactly the same when loading. Unfortunately, it is not tied to the weather...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather