SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-22, 11:10 AM   #5101
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I actually bought the U-Boat missions DLC for SH4 from the steam page, upgraded my way from v1.3 to v1.4 of the base game prior to that using this amazing community's help, and successfully installed everything needed for the mod. When I attempt to start a new American campaign, upon loading into the mission (NOT the pre-mission screen where you can upgrade your crew and all that, the game runs that no problem) it finishes loading but immediately goes to black screen freeze before loading me into my boat. An error message pops up as I mentioned previously and it closes my game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I think maybe unchecking Volumetric Fog in your graphics options might help. I don't think it is used by most SH4 players though I could be wrong. Its kind of wonky. Or that particular file could be missing for some reason. Open up your game install and navigate to that file and see if its there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
There is another change that may fix the black screen problem. Others know more about than I do (Propbeanie!), but I think you could try this:

Go to the game execution folder, find SH4.exe and right click on it. Select Properties (at the bottom of the box), then click on the Compatibility Tab at the top of the Properties box. Then click on the "Change High DPI Settings", and check the box for "Override High DPI Scale..."

If that box is checked already, uncheck it. If it is not checked, then check it. Sounds confusing, but one of those two changes will eliminate the black screen.

Wish I could be more clear, but it won't hurt to try it! Good luck.

That's the picture I usually use of what torpedobait is referring to, Brooksie. What J0313 is referring to is also correct. The volumetric fog will make your crew look like ghosts topside, and sometimes inside the boat also, besides causing other video glitching issues. Be sure you also do not have the vsync locked, the bottom choice in the right-hand column of the Graphic Setting screen should also be cleared. However, that error message you are getting: "Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx" is often a difference between the v1.3 and v1.5 of the game. Another similar one concerns the differences between the "black" dds files that are different between v1.4 and v1.5 of the game, so be certain you are using the correct Steam start for the game, which would be the U-Boat Missions start... If Mad Mardigan or another Steam user stops by, they can point you in the right direction about the Steam version of the game. I have SH3 and SH5 from Steam, but not SH4. I have a Ubisoft SH4 and SH5, and I have disk-based SH3 and SH4, so I do not have a "complete Library" of any, just too many of each... - of course, I have the various games peppered across 4 different computers... - Otherwise, you are missing portions of DirectX v9.0c dll files that the Silent Hunter series of games needs to run the 3D portion. Those aused to automatically installed with the Steam version of the game, but my most recent install of SH5 did take me to the MS Download site to download DirectX v9.0c, so maybe the Steam install made it a separate choice again?? I dunno... but you do need a portion of the DirectX v9.0c library file set. That does NOT overwrite anything in your current Windows install, it just adds to it... if that's what the trouble is...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-22, 01:28 PM   #5102
Brooksie
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I think maybe unchecking Volumetric Fog in your graphics options might help. I don't think it is used by most SH4 players though I could be wrong. Its kind of wonky. Or that particular file could be missing for some reason. Open up your game install and navigate to that file and see if its there.
I unchecked volumetric fog from settings within the game and the same thing happened. The file is also there in the proper spot. Idk if I should delete it or what?

Skipper Brooksie
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-22, 01:38 PM   #5103
Brooksie
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

That's the picture I usually use of what torpedobait is referring to, Brooksie. What J0313 is referring to is also correct. The volumetric fog will make your crew look like ghosts topside, and sometimes inside the boat also, besides causing other video glitching issues. Be sure you also do not have the vsync locked, the bottom choice in the right-hand column of the Graphic Setting screen should also be cleared. However, that error message you are getting: "Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx" is often a difference between the v1.3 and v1.5 of the game. Another similar one concerns the differences between the "black" dds files that are different between v1.4 and v1.5 of the game, so be certain you are using the correct Steam start for the game, which would be the U-Boat Missions start... If Mad Mardigan or another Steam user stops by, they can point you in the right direction about the Steam version of the game. I have SH3 and SH5 from Steam, but not SH4. I have a Ubisoft SH4 and SH5, and I have disk-based SH3 and SH4, so I do not have a "complete Library" of any, just too many of each... - of course, I have the various games peppered across 4 different computers... - Otherwise, you are missing portions of DirectX v9.0c dll files that the Silent Hunter series of games needs to run the 3D portion. Those aused to automatically installed with the Steam version of the game, but my most recent install of SH5 did take me to the MS Download site to download DirectX v9.0c, so maybe the Steam install made it a separate choice again?? I dunno... but you do need a portion of the DirectX v9.0c library file set. That does NOT overwrite anything in your current Windows install, it just adds to it... if that's what the trouble is...
Thank you for attempting to help me. I read everything and ensured that I had volumetric fog turned off and that I had VSYNC turned off within the game settings. I updated SH4 from v1.3 to v1.4 prior to getting the U-boats missions DLC. When I load into the game I can see in the bottom right-hand corner that it's running v1.5. I followed your DPI instructions and tried that, and the same thing happened. Where can I get the DirectX v9.0c from? Can you copy that file to me?

Skipper Brooksie
Old 10-29-22, 01:42 PM   #5104
Brooksie
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
There is another change that may fix the black screen problem. Others know more about than I do (Propbeanie!), but I think you could try this:

Go to the game execution folder, find SH4.exe and right click on it. Select Properties (at the bottom of the box), then click on the Compatibility Tab at the top of the Properties box. Then click on the "Change High DPI Settings", and check the box for "Override High DPI Scale..."

If that box is checked already, uncheck it. If it is not checked, then check it. Sounds confusing, but one of those two changes will eliminate the black screen.

Wish I could be more clear, but it won't hurt to try it! Good luck.
I did this and nothing happened, same black screen crashed. Idk wtf to do.

Skipper Brooksie
Old 10-30-22, 09:56 AM   #5105
Spirit_Wolf_2
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Support Game crash upon receiving a medal

So i just returned to pearl from a second patrol and upon ending the patrol with FOTRSU i receiving a medal, sounds great yea? No the second i clicked okay the game crashed, i tried ending patrol three times in a row but all ended exactly the same. Anyone might have an idea how to fix this? I did a fresh reinstall of the game for FOTRSU and i don´t have any other mods enabled. Any help is appreciated.

Win 10 64bit

Ryzen 3 1200
16gb ram
RX560 4GB
SH4 v1.5 steam version
Spirit_Wolf_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 08:41 AM   #5106
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I did this and nothing happened, same black screen crashed. Idk wtf to do.
Are you still crashing brooksie? Did you say you have a Steam SH4 install? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Wolf_2 View Post
So i just returned to pearl from a second patrol and upon ending the patrol with FOTRSU i receiving a medal, sounds great yea? No the second i clicked okay the game crashed, i tried ending patrol three times in a row but all ended exactly the same. Anyone might have an idea how to fix this? I did a fresh reinstall of the game for FOTRSU and i don´t have any other mods enabled. Any help is appreciated.

Win 10 64bit

Ryzen 3 1200
16gb ram
RX560 4GB
SH4 v1.5 steam version
Can you tell us what submarine you are using, and what the date is that you are docking? If you know the date you sailed, fantastic, but not necessary if you have the date you are coming back in on. It is almost 99.9% not the medal causing the issue. Do you know how to find the newest SH4 Save folder on your computer? You can copy and zip the whole Dave folder, or just the one numbered folder that is the most recent. If you have a DropBox or GoogleDrive or similar account, and post that, and then PM me a link, I can look in the data and maybe see the issue. You could also look yourself at the CareerTrack.upc file in the newest Save folder, and line 33, 34, & 35 will have lines like:
PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=EmpireEarly
PlayerDefaultObjectives=ID94
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID335
That show what your next assignment is. One last question is, did you delete that Save folder data before beginning play in the FotRSU modded SH4? Thanks

Old 10-31-22, 12:26 PM   #5107
Spirit_Wolf_2
Swabbie

Quote:
Are you still crashing brooksie? Did you say you have a Steam SH4 install? Thanks

Can you tell us what submarine you are using, and what the date is that you are docking? If you know the date you sailed, fantastic, but not necessary if you have the date you are coming back in on. It is almost 99.9% not the medal causing the issue. Do you know how to find the newest SH4 Save folder on your computer? You can copy and zip the whole Dave folder, or just the one numbered folder that is the most recent. If you have a DropBox or GoogleDrive or similar account, and post that, and then PM me a link, I can look in the data and maybe see the issue. You could also look yourself at the CareerTrack.upc file in the newest Save folder, and line 33, 34, & 35 will have lines like:
That show what your next assignment is. One last question is, did you delete that Save folder data before beginning play in the FotRSU modded SH4? Thanks
PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=Honshu
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID145
PatrolStartDateTime=1942-02-06 18:32:20

And i was using cachalot class sub
Well i deleted every save file but from inside the game, i havent touched the folder at all.
Old 10-31-22, 12:40 PM   #5108
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Spirit_Wolf_2!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 03:31 PM   #5109
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Same problem with Saves not restoring course on Nav map

Been using FotRSU v1.8 with FixPak1.8 since early September, no problems. Currently I'm running a campaign which started at Midway in '42 in a Gato and proceeded into May '43 where I was awarded a Balao, again at Midway. After a few patrols in this Balao, completed patrol to East China Sea and then Luzon Strait and returned to Midway Oct 3 '43. Then started a new patrol Oct 23 '43 to Truk area, same Balao. I took a Save point after leaving Midway and setting the course to Truk. I did NOT exit to windows, but resumed on the course and took second Save point later, again not exiting to Windows, but to Main menu where I loaded the first Save. When I opened the Nav map the course I plotted to Truk was no longer there! So I went back and started from Saves I took prior to this patrol, before ending Oct 3, everything worked fine, the plotted courses all showed on the Nav map with restarting those Saves. I reported this issue back with V1.7 and v1.6. The suggestion was to Save and exit to Windows, then restart. But with v1.8 this issued seemed to be fixed. And, it was, until I started this new patrol, in a Balao, Oct 23 '43 game month.

FotRUS v.18
[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8=1
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=4
SH4_original_4k_light_blue=5
454c_EasyAOB_InputTargetDistanceOnTBT=6
JayMyKey=7 (this is my laptop keyboard mapping)
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8
Old 10-31-22, 05:41 PM   #5110
propbeanie

Quote:

Well i deleted every save file but from inside the game, i havent touched the folder at all.
OK, the Honshu code and the ID145 does coincide with the timeframe for the Cachalot for that date, using Patrol Honshu 06 mission, which would actually say to patrol off Kyushu and Shikoku islands, but to stay out of Bungo Suido... I see nothing obviously wrong, and I do have your Save folder downloaded, and looking closer at things. There are no "upgrades" to the Cachalot in the mod, since it does "die on the vine" in mid-1943, which will either result in your getting a new boat, or just continuing on to the end of the game in 1945 in the same tired boat. In light of this, I am suspecting your Save game. Just to clarify though, you say "... i deleted every save file but from inside the game, i havent touched the folder at all." To my "ear", that sounds like you did not delete the actual "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder then, but rather after you were in the game, you did delete some folders? If that is the case, then you do have a set of "crossed" files in the Save folder that bears part of what you had previously, and part of FotRSU. Which ever way you want to navigate into that Save folder, it would be recommended that you delete the "cfg" folder below the SH4 folder - unless you changed the folder name with MultiSH4, in which case, delete that. That will "kill" your career progress thus far, but should allow a full career then, with proper configuration. If you did delete the Save folder from Windows Explorer, then don't delete that yet, and let me look further into your Save data here... Let me know either way, though please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Been using FotRSU v1.8 with FixPak1.8 since early September, no problems. Currently I'm running a campaign which started at Midway in '42 in a Gato and proceeded into May '43 where I was awarded a Balao, again at Midway. After a few patrols in this Balao, completed patrol to East China Sea and then Luzon Strait and returned to Midway Oct 3 '43. Then started a new patrol Oct 23 '43 to Truk area, same Balao. I took a Save point after leaving Midway and setting the course to Truk. I did NOT exit to windows, but resumed on the course and took second Save point later, again not exiting to Windows, but to Main menu where I loaded the first Save. When I opened the Nav map the course I plotted to Truk was no longer there! So I went back and started from Saves I took prior to this patrol, before ending Oct 3, everything worked fine, the plotted courses all showed on the Nav map with restarting those Saves. I reported this issue back with V1.7 and v1.6. The suggestion was to Save and exit to Windows, then restart. But with v1.8 this issued seemed to be fixed. And, it was, until I started this new patrol, in a Balao, Oct 23 '43 game month.

FotRUS v.18
[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8=1
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=4
SH4_original_4k_light_blue=5
454c_EasyAOB_InputTargetDistanceOnTBT=6
JayMyKey=7 (this is my laptop keyboard mapping)
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8
I would never say that we "fixed" something anymore... lol - we might have made the game slightly more efficient with your computer's RAM usage, but you can still end up with the same, tired results with this #$%$&# game... Now, that said, you got the Balao in May of 1943, which does not always result in something bad happening right away, but it is bad, "invalid data" ("I am sorry Will Robinson. That does not computer") The Balao becomes active May 21, 1943, but at San Francisco, not Midway. It's first "regular" base availability is Brisbane in August 1943, Pearl in September
for mission assignments and on the menu. The Balao at Midway is "active" beginning in July, so if you got the boat right at the May 21 neighborhood, go on a "normal" patrol and come back after July 1, 1943, then it could well look "normal", but there is still that "invalid data" set in the Save folder that will reach out and bite. Hopefully, that's all the trouble that you encounter... Just remember that the "Exit" still applies when going to use a Saved game - just to be certain... It's kind of like the "shelling out to windows" thing, where a lot of times, if you pause the game and then shell out, you won't have trouble - but not always... it is best not to shell out, and recommended not to do it. Pretend you're still playing on a WinXP 32-bit box with 4gig of RAM and an old AGP graphics card, and you'll be fine (usually)..

Old 10-31-22, 08:26 PM   #5111
propbeanie

Quote:

OK, small update, it looks like you had the Patrol Marshalls Early 03 file like this for your first mission assignment:

Mission Editor image

According to the track file in the 00000001 folder, you sank a JP Fleet Oiler and a JP Old Freighter, for a total tonnage of 12087. Then ended the patrol 18 Jan, 1942 back at Pearl, and all looks like the patrol ended fine with a departure date set of 6th Feb 1942, and it stops after you get the assignment...

Another file though shows 4 ships sunk for a total tonnage of 23320, so that 00000001 might not be the newest folder, unless that is old data from a previous career? If you have a numbered folder with a more recent date / time stamp than the 00000001 folder, I would need that. I am only seeing the first patrol, and an assignment for the 2nd patrol to Empire Waters off Shikoku...

Old 11-01-22, 02:45 AM   #5112
Spirit_Wolf_2
Swabbie

Quote:
OK, the Honshu code and the ID145 does coincide with the timeframe for the Cachalot for that date, using Patrol Honshu 06 mission, which would actually say to patrol off Kyushu and Shikoku islands, but to stay out of Bungo Suido... I see nothing obviously wrong, and I do have your Save folder downloaded, and looking closer at things. There are no "upgrades" to the Cachalot in the mod, since it does "die on the vine" in mid-1943, which will either result in your getting a new boat, or just continuing on to the end of the game in 1945 in the same tired boat. In light of this, I am suspecting your Save game. Just to clarify though, you say "... i deleted every save file but from inside the game, i havent touched the folder at all." To my "ear", that sounds like you did not delete the actual "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder then, but rather after you were in the game, you did delete some folders? If that is the case, then you do have a set of "crossed" files in the Save folder that bears part of what you had previously, and part of FotRSU. Which ever way you want to navigate into that Save folder, it would be recommended that you delete the "cfg" folder below the SH4 folder - unless you changed the folder name with MultiSH4, in which case, delete that. That will "kill" your career progress thus far, but should allow a full career then, with proper configuration. If you did delete the Save folder from Windows Explorer, then don't delete that yet, and let me look further into your Save data here... Let me know either way, though please...
Well i deleted every old save but by launching the game, starting a radom career, opening the save game option and hitting deleted on everything.
Mostly because i forgot where the save folder is. Maybe that also explains why after some time silent running and repairs dont work but when i re load the save then they work again.

Quote:
OK, small update, it looks like you had the Patrol Marshalls Early 03 file like this for your first mission assignment:

Mission Editor image

According to the track file in the 00000001 folder, you sank a JP Fleet Oiler and a JP Old Freighter, for a total tonnage of 12087. Then ended the patrol 18 Jan, 1942 back at Pearl, and all looks like the patrol ended fine with a departure date set of 6th Feb 1942, and it stops after you get the assignment...

Another file though shows 4 ships sunk for a total tonnage of 23320, so that 00000001 might not be the newest folder, unless that is old data from a previous career? If you have a numbered folder with a more recent date / time stamp than the 00000001 folder, I would need that. I am only seeing the first patrol, and an assignment for the 2nd patrol to Empire Waters off Shikoku...
Well there was newer save but that was from one war patrol where i decided to go on a world tour so i thought that it´ll only contain that.
Old 11-01-22, 09:50 AM   #5113
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Posted by Propbeanie
"would never say that we "fixed" something anymore... lol - we might have made the game slightly more efficient with your computer's RAM usage, but you can still end up with the same, tired results with this #$%$&# game... Now, that said, you got the Balao in May of 1943, which does not always result in something bad happening right away, but it is bad, "invalid data" ("I am sorry Will Robinson. That does not computer") The Balao becomes active May 21, 1943, but at San Francisco, not Midway. It's first "regular" base availability is Brisbane in August 1943, Pearl in September
for mission assignments and on the menu. The Balao at Midway is "active" beginning in July, so if you got the boat right at the May 21 neighborhood, go on a "normal" patrol and come back after July 1, 1943, then it could well look "normal", but there is still that "invalid data" set in the Save folder that will reach out and bite. Hopefully, that's all the trouble that you encounter... Just remember that the "Exit" still applies when going to use a Saved game - just to be certain... It's kind of like the "shelling out to windows" thing,
where a lot of times, if you pause the game and then shell out, you won't have trouble - but not always... it is best not to shell out, and recommended not to do it. Pretend you're still playing on a WinXP 32-bit box with 4gig of RAM and an old AGP graphics card, and you'll be fine (usually).. "

Thanks for explaining, that's what happened. I saw the May 31 date for a Balao but didn't know that did not include Midway! I'll remember that going forwarded.
Old 11-01-22, 11:35 AM   #5114
Brooksie
Swabbie

Quote:

Yes, I'm still crashing, I've determined that it's an issue with the FotRSU and not my install of SH4. This is because when I run v1.5 of SH4 (the one with U-boat missions), I have no issues at all. Yet when I load the mod on, it crashes on me.

Skipper Brooksie
Old 11-01-22, 02:29 PM   #5115
Rigel44
Sailor man

Downloads: 86
Default Medal Questions

I just return from a patrol where I sank 10 ships in Japanese home waters early in the war and I received a medal - the citation read Navy Cross - but the picture was a bronze star... did my medals file get corrupted? Is there a file I should recopy from a clean install?

On a related question - can the criteria for medals be edited in a specific file in the game? In history, if a captain returned with 5 or more sinkings, the Navy Cross was the award. Can you get more than one the same medal in the game? Does realism play into the award criteria? I play realism except for exterior view (because I like the eye-candy of watching my sub slip below the wave or surface)

Thanks for any thoughts you can share...

Rigel44 is offline   Reply With Quote