SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-21, 12:44 PM   #1
Adm_Steel
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
cool ESM, Conn - report

Yup, I'm going to be that guy. I know SH4 is a WWII game but I DID notice someone built an SSBN mod soooooooo... since it was one of my favorite watches to stand, I'm curious to know - has anyone considered building an ESM mod for SH4?

It would be a pretty extensive mod, I suppose, but it should be able to be piggybacked right off the sonar info. I don't know enough about programming to do it myself but I'd be extremely curious to know if any modders out there want to take up the challenge.

Naturally the extent of what I know about it can't be shared in a public forum, but it would be a pretty cool addition and add some variety to the game play - especially for those obnoxious destroyers that like to sit dead in the water waiting for you to show yourself.

Also out of curiousity - has anyone noticed that sonar will pick up wave slap from a sitting target but the poor sonar chap is too stupid to call out a contact? Pretty close to real life IMO. Not his fault though, the sonar room was always toxically permeated with the smell of farts, manlove and hollow skulls.

-A former radioman
Adm_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 04:24 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

If it's the Ohio SSBN mod you're talking about, I did the overhauled mod and several variations of it. Ohio should have ESM built into it, LA version 4.2 might have ESM in it to. ESM is in the game by default (if you have version 1.5/Uboat expansion), but all you get is a detecting radar signals message along with a bearing line on the nav map in green.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 11:40 AM   #3
Adm_Steel
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Default Oh hai there!

What's up ET3. I was an ET2 on the 731. I had a few buddies on the Ken*******me.

I actually haven't tried the BN mod, I just saw it so I knew it was there. IMO a BN is a terrible pig to take into a dog fight, too big for sea battle, but I was never an officer so I didn't pay that much attention to the Khakis and their warfighting scenarios when we were running drills - too busy patch EAMs through to the conn lol. Besides - Sonar was often too busy freaking out over accidentally leaving the simulator on during patrol for me to take much interest in the educated side of war college rhetoric.

Can you perchance post a link to your update? I wanna give it a go. Thanks.

ET2 (SS) Z.
SSBN 731 (G)
2007-2012
Qualified 19 May 09

Former ET2(SS) SSBN Sailor [Sparks for life]
Adm_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 12:02 PM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Welcome aboard, shipmate! Click on my name then go to the downloads tab in my profile and you'll find my mods.

I remember seeing the Bama back when she did her Strat off-load for D5 conversion and refueling. She sat really high in the water, like 32 ft draft.

I spent plenty of time in Control being a striker before radio, qualified helm and lookout. Was in Control for BSM and BST, was picked sometimes for the Officers trainers at TTF. Picked up on some of their stuff during all of that.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 05:00 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Just wanted to say welcome aboard.

You youngsters with your XBox and your loud rock and roll are OK.
It isn't like the old days when we had to hand crank the dynamo (uphill, both ways) to run the WLR1(G), the one system we're allowed to talk about.

Just stay off my lawn!

USS Barbel and USS Bremerton, cold war representin'.

-Bob (a real ET, not some divisional hanger-on).
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod request, sh4