SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-13, 10:27 AM   #121
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
It looks like this is happening even without RSD and when TDW patcher is disabled. Is it possible that shcollission CTD is situation -mission related because it's happening only in fx update testing mission when two destroyers hitting you very rapidly?
Yep, possible. It could also be memory related. As I told you before, I had it happening when two ships were attacking me at the same time, with both 20mm and higher caliber guns.

Quote:
In mission when single destroyer is attacking, things go more or less smooth...
Now , good thing would be if i could add type 7b or 7a in FX update mission but i'm too stupid to do that...
You should be able to select more than one U-boat model from the mission selection menu. Shouldn't VIIa and VIIb be between the possible options, you can run Mission Editor, create a new project, load TDW's mission in it, remove the VIIc and put in its place a VIIa. Make also sure to adjust mission start date, in accordance with VIIa/VIIb (and destroyer's) availability dates.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13, 10:44 AM   #122
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Good thing is, CTD only happening after excessive fire...submarine is doomed long before that...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13, 11:22 AM   #123
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Good thing is, CTD only happening after excessive fire...submarine is doomed long before that...
It depends. IIRC during my tests my U-boat was all but lost when game crashed. I think the problem is not quantity of damage but rather rate of damage, or better rate of hits. It is also possible that when two or more shells/explosive charges collide exactly at the same time on the same object, the game go haywire, and the chance of this happening is higher when rate of is higher
Old 09-21-13, 01:26 PM   #124
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Hm Gap(or anyone else), can you do one quick test of 7c in FX update mission ? Just enter the mission and blow ballast...
Old 09-22-13, 07:45 AM   #125
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Where are goddamn controllers for Hydrophone?

This isn't hydrophone for type 7?

I'm looking for standard u-boat hydrophones 3d model. There aren't any in sensors.gr2...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-22-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 12:17 PM   #126
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Where are goddamn controllers for Hydrophone?

I'm looking for standard u-boat hydrophones 3d model. There aren't any in sensors.gr2...
From Equipment.upc (see entries marked in red):

Code:
[Equipment 24]
ID=EqpGhGStation
NameDisplayable= Hydrophone Station
FunctionalType= EqFTypeSonarStation
EquipmentInterval= NULL, NULL
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL;
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL,	0,	0.2,	0,	1,	1,	small malfunction,		0,	0,	NULL,	0.3,	0.4,	4
DamageDescription2= NULL,	0.2,	0.6,	0,	1,	1,	Misaligned Axis,		0,	0,	NULL, 	0.5,	0.4,	10
DamageDescription3= NULL,	0.6,	1,	0,	1,	1,	fuse blown,			0,	0,	NULL,	1,	0.2,	15

[Equipment 25]
ID=EqpGHG
NameDisplayable= GHG
FunctionalType= EqFTypeHydrophoneSensor
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= GHG9,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL,	0,	0.2,	0,	1,	1,	small malfunction,		0,	0,	NULL,	0.3,	0.4,	4
DamageDescription2= NULL,	0.2,	0.6,	0,	1,	1,	Misaligned Axis,		0,	0,	NULL, 	0.5,	0.4,	10
DamageDescription4= NULL,	0.9,	1,	0,	1,	1,	Sonar Head broken,		0,	0,	NULL,	1,	1,	15

[Equipment 26]
ID=EqpKdbStation
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 27]
ID=EqpKDB
NameDisplayable= KDB
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= KDB_type9,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription4= NULL,	0.9,	1,	0,	1,	1,	Sonar Head broken,		0,	0,	NULL,	1,	1,	15

[Equipment 28]
ID=EqpBalkonGerat
NameDisplayable= Balkon Gerat
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= BalkonGerat,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 29]
ID=EqpBalkonGeratStation
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
Hitpoints= 100
These are the external sensors. Each of them got a SensorData controller. Moreover, if I remember correctly, R.E.M. gives a Dial controller to KDB's top head for making it to rotate when the hydrophone is sweeped. Also note that the GHG sensor is just a dummy bone (it misses 3d meshes). I don't know if a 3d model is required for equipment and other objects to take damage, but should it be the case we can always create some dummy transparent meshes and import them in GR2 Editor.

As for the hydrophone station, it is one shared model, and it found in:

data\Submarine\Common\Rooms\Room_QR1.GR2, Hidrofon.

Its working is a bit complicated. The station model itself is composed by many individual parts assembled together. The root mesh got an HydrophoneStationController and an InteractionContext controller assigned, com02a (volume knob) and Hydrophone_Wheel (sweeping wheel) got a KWheel controller each, Hydrophone_Dial (the dial) got an InteractiveObject controller, ac sonar2 (dial's needle) a Dial controller and finally Hidrofon_button_bulb (the red button on the left of the wheel) a SensorStation controller

Open each controller to try and understand what each controller does. You can try giving some parts their own damage box and eventually make them destructible, but beware of ctd's and weird issues as for the UZO.

Radar equipment models/controllers should be similar.
Old 09-22-13, 01:10 PM   #127
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Tnx Gap! I'll try to add damage box to GHG bone first...KDB9 rotating sensor works just fine, 3d model is removed and hydrophone is unusable...
Old 09-22-13, 01:46 PM   #128
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Tnx Gap! I'll try to add damage box to GHG bone first...KDB9 rotating sensor works just fine, 3d model is removed and hydrophone is unusable...
Nice!

Talking about the KDB, you should make it much more susceptible to damage than other hydrophones, as historically documented. On a side note, it would be nice if we managed to keep the GHG after upgrading to the KDB. The latter had a better accuracy at close range, but it was useless at long range, and it was only fitted onboard as secondary listening device.

When you have done with the external sensors, try modelling hydrophone station's damage. I am sure it is going to pose some problems, but if we manage to solve them it would make sensor's damage much more critical
Old 09-22-13, 02:15 PM   #129
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Works perfect! I mean, it doesn't, because it's broken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Nice!
Talking about the KDB, you should make it much more susceptible to damage than other hydrophones, as historically documented.
No problems with that...Lower HP value will do the job...
Quote:
On a side note, it would be nice if we managed to keep the GHG after upgrading to the KDB. The latter had a better accuracy at close range, but it was useless at long range, and it was only fitted onboard as secondary listening device.
Hm, that would be really cool, if it is possible...

Quote:
When you have done with the external sensors, try modelling hydrophone station's damage. I am sure it is going to pose some problems, but if we manage to solve them it would make sensor's damage much more critical
You mean like jammed sweep handle or something ? I'm afraid that this is still beyond my capabilities, although i'm planing to do something similar with guns...I'll need more research though...
Old 09-22-13, 03:21 PM   #130
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

R.S.D. Hints:
- Avoid direct fire at any cost, your life is more precious then tonnage counter...
- Although small calibers won't cause much damage to your pressure hull, outside equipment like UZO,periscopes and various antennas are very vulnerable to direct hits, so make sure to crash dive before enemy open fire at you...
- Most of the time, when you are submerged and significant flooding is present in more then one compartment, often the only solution is to blow ballast and brake the surface.
- Watch for compressed air, without it even smaller flooding can be lethal...
- Use underwater propulsion if you have troubles to maintain depth or if you wont to surface the boat when flooding is present. Full speed forward/backward could be very helpful, depending of current submarine pitch...
I've added small hints to the first post, thought could be helpful...
Old 09-22-13, 03:40 PM   #131
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

If you use this mod + sobers bad weather deck gun V5 SH5 then attacking an armed convoy on the surface should be fearful to say the least .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 04:03 PM   #132
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Very...During the daylight probably impossible, like it should be , i guess...
Old 09-22-13, 06:13 PM   #133
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Works perfect! I mean, it doesn't, because it's broken...
Do you mean the GHG?

Quote:
No problems with that...Lower HP value will do the job...
yep, that's the way to do it

Quote:
Hm, that would be really cool, if it is possible...
yes, if possible. We need to study UpgradePacks.upc's settings to determine it:

Code:
[UpgradePack 3]
ID= UpackUb7GHG
NameDisplayable=UpackIXGHG-Name
Info=UpackIXGHG-Info
Notes=UpackIXGHG-Notes
FunctionalType= UpFTypeSensorSonar
UpgradePackSlotType= UboatType7Hydrophone
Type=NULL
ImageIndex=19
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptionCurrent= NULL, NULL, 0
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1=NULL, NULL, 1000
IDLinkUpgradePackElements= EqpGhGStation, EqpGHG, NULL
TrackingID=500

[UpgradePack 4]
ID= UpackUb7KDB
NameDisplayable=UpackIXKDB-Name
Info=UpackIXKDB-Info
Notes=UpackIXKDB-Note
Type=NULL
ImageIndex=12
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1=1939-09-01, NULL, 2000
IDLinkUpgradePackElements= EqpKdbStation, NULL, EqpKDB
TrackingID=501

[UpgradePack 5]
ID= UpackUb7Balkon
NameDisplayable=UpackIXBalkon_Gerat-Name
Info=UpackIXBalkon_Gerat-Info
Notes=UpackIXBalkon_Gerat-Notes
Type=NULL
ImageIndex=13
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions1=1943-01-01, 1943-10-01, 4000
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions2=1943-10-01, 1944-03-01, 2000
UnitUpgradePackIntervalOptions3=1944-03-01, NULL, 1500
IDLinkUpgradePackElements= EqpBalkonGeratStation, EqpBalkonGerat, NULL
TrackingID=502
Look at the entries marked in red. Three elements can be set for each hydrophone upgrade, but only two are actually used. Each element is the ID of an hydrophone equipment definition in equipment.upc (see my previous post): respectively an EqFTypeSonarStation and an EqFTypeSonarSensor going by their functionality type. Elements are set according to the following scheme:

Code:
hydrophone model	Element #1		Element # 2		Element #3

GHG			EqpGhGStation		EqpGHG			NULL
KDB			EqpKdbStation		NULL			EqpKDB
Balkon Gerät		EqpBalkonGeratStation	EqpBalkonGerat		NULL
Do you notice anything?

1 - we have three element placing "slots", though for each hydrophone set only two are needed and in use;
2 - unlike other hydrophone set, the KDB uses the third slot for its external sensor, leaving the second slot empty.

...so, either

1- the NULL entry in KDB's definition is interpreted as "keep the sensor from the previous set (KDB) in its place", i.e. the feature we want to introduce is already in stock game.

2 - more likely NULL means no sensor, and the different slots used are relative to different positions on the boat (which explains why KDB and Balkon use the same slot for their external sensor). In this case we could try changing KDB's IDLinkUpgradePackElements settings as follows:

Code:
IDLinkUpgradePackElements= EqpKdbStation, EqpGHG, EqpKDB
Quote:
You mean like jammed sweep handle or something ?
yes, more or less. But I am also thinking about radar/hydrophone malfunctioning when their stations are damaged rather than their external sensors/antennas

Quote:
I'm afraid that this is still beyond my capabilities,
What's beyond your capabilities? Creating some damage controller/boxes for each element composing the hydrophone station?

Quote:
although i'm planing to do something similar with guns...I'll need more research though...
Have you tried adding individual ZonesCtrl controllers with their relative spheres/boxes on individual gun parts?

An idea I had about random gun jams is this: set various gun DamageDescription definitions in Equipment.upc. Set a null EfficiencyReduction for the first DamageDescription. Set an EfficiencyReduction of 1 and a rather low repair time for the next DamageDescription ("jam window"). Set other DamageDescriptions at your wish. When HP damage suffered by each gun will be within the MinDamage/MaxDamage range defined for the "jam window", the gun will jam (i.e. it will stop working during several minutes). If necessary, we can set more than one of these windows, intervalled by DamageDescriptions with no efficency reduction. The higher the number of jam windows, the wider their Min/Max damage interval and the lower the required damage, the more likely guns will jam

Quote:
I've added small hints to the first post, thought could be helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
If you use this mod + sobers bad weather deck gun V5 SH5 then attacking an armed convoy on the surface should be fearful to say the least .
Have you guys tried this?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=397

It is not finished yet, but it extends sober's idea to other uboat guns (deck gun included tho), using historical figures instead of rendom settings
Old 09-22-13, 06:57 PM   #134
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374
Uploads: 0

Quote:
...It is not finished yet...

four months after last tests.. and almost a year from first discussion..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-13, 07:02 PM   #135
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post

four months after last tests.. and almost a year from first discussion..
Okay, it is finished then