SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-09, 09:24 PM   #1726
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default thanks.

thanks for getting me staright on the range/aspect ratio.

By the way, it has been slowly dawning on me that your attention to historical detail is one the things that sets TMO 1.9 apart. All the major mods have special effects unique to them, but TMO adds additional details that attempts to adhere to historical accuracy from what I gather. I am not speaking from personal experience, but from reading the discussions in this thread, especially your input, which is often laced with techical and historical references unique to submarines and sub warfare of the time period. In my comments in the voting for mod of the year I mentioned it, but did not know how to express my thoughts fully. After reading the last few posts, I am able to so, and here you have it. It is an impressive characteristic of the mod.

SH4 was missing was this aspect -- i.e. the attention to historical detail. Hopefully, they will figure it out in SH5. I for one am most appreciative of your work for this added quality. Apparently, you have submarines running through your veins, and for us that play TMO it is a good thing.

(p.s. As an aside, I worked for a project director who served on a destroyer in the war. He was at sea the first seven months of the war, and later served in the Mediteranean and his boat was a rear guard on D-Day. He read Das Boot and expressed his displeasure that its author referred to U.S. fighter aircraft at one point inaccurately. He said that it was well known that the fighter was not manufactured until after the time frame mentioned in the book. I told him that since the author was German (I think he was), he probably did not know the exact model of the American fighter and assumed it was type he referred to. That did not convince him.

By the way, he was on the U.S. sub that captured a German U Boat. They chased it for three days until had to surface. His boat was sent to the U.S. where they spent time raising War Bonds for many months. He confided that they would let young ladies tour the boat for free if .... (you know the rest.)

He was so scared of German dive bombers when they patrolled of the coast of Africa that he slept on the deck. He also said the troops on the ground knew that they could beat the Japanese when the Marines met and decimated an elite Japanese force on a beach on Gualadcanal. After that, he said, the soldiers felt it was just a matter of time.)
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 09:43 PM   #1727
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post

By the way, it has been slowly dawning on me that your attention to historical detail is one the things that sets TMO 1.9 apart. All the major mods have special effects unique to them, but TMO adds additional details that attempts to adhere to historical accuracy from what I gather.

I think your referring more to Real Fleet Boat then TMO. I adhere to historical accuracy as much as possible, but i'll take "artistic license" occasionally in order to achieve what i feel is good gameplay. I try to balance mostly "simulation" with some "game", in order to get a unique blend. From a design standpoint, its a bit of a tightrope walk.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 04:54 PM   #1728
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Today December 2009...
Users have TMO 1.9 ...
... but "... а воз и ныне там..." ...
Only 10 minutes of viewing ...

... and ink-water ...

For a long time known problems...
Question - When ...?

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 05:47 PM   #1729
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post

For a long time known problems...
Question - When ...?

Yes, we have all noticed your problems and they have been well known among some of us for quite some time now, but really you hold the key. We can't help you until you want to be helped. So, the answer to when is... when you let those around you help. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness! It's good to see you are being honest.
Old 12-03-09, 05:49 PM   #1730
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default re

Anvart, so the interior is not perfect in TMO, these issues are left over from stock though but ducimus has adressed many.Vickers recently put out an interior overhaul for TMO 1.9, its great, works for Balao also since Gato and Balao share same interior layout in game.Check it out.

As far as the two telegraphs, they represent one telegraph for engines one and two, and one telegraph for engines three and four.In the game, the devs took easy aka cheap way out and grouped engines together instead of having four seperate engines as had in real life, plus a fifth small auxillary engine.Engines could be controlled independently in RL.

As far as the Nagara Maru(merchant pictured) , whats your prob, seen pics of Japanese Marus like that.That is a large modern freighter from stock version though, named Nagara Maru in TMO.

The watchman not rotating is just nitpicking, but I understand, these leftover things that were in because devs didnt do it correctly to begin with are annoying.Hopefully some modder will have time to correct them.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 06:02 PM   #1731
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Yes, we have all noticed your problems and they have been well known among some of us for quite some time now, but really you hold the key. We can't help you until you want to be helped. So, the answer to when is... when you let those around you help. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness! It's good to see you are being honest.
Опять ты "мудрствуешь лукаво" ... bla-bla ...
Personally to me ... i do not need your help or councils ...
... better read old threads and posts ...
All stuffs (except TMO's specific) are realised for a long time...

Old 12-03-09, 06:02 PM   #1732
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Anvart, are you bored?

RE Missing Dials, Dial textures, incorrect texture mapping:
This falls into the realm of 3d modeling. Something that i don't know how to do. Sure i can place existing 3d objects into another, but loading stuff up into wings3d or whatever was never something i had the time or patience to learn. If you want to take a crack at that, be my guest, i'd happily annotate the credits list.

RE Incorrect dial types:
Again, this is 3d modeling. All i can do is try to make it so whatever does exist, work. I'm well aware the dials at that table are of the incorrect type given what we have to work with. But since i know squat about 3d modeling, there's nothing i can do about it. If you want to take a crack at that too, be my guest, i'd happily annotate the credits list.

RE Aft port watchman near the cigarette deck.
I never looked at him that closely. He's there, hes using his binoculars, so i didn't scrutinize it. Never paid him any mind.

RE Type 9 radioroom.

Again, i can't do 3d modelling. I can however canabalize existing models. The premise here being "something is better then nothing". If i had my choice i would have included this instead. But he's hit a road block that nobody in the know will help him with, and he's since taken a leave of absence. So i made due with what resources i had.

RE gramophone.
The buttons are there on the lower right hand corner. The chart itself, i'm assuming you know what that is, so i don't think i need to explain it. Yes im aware "Conversion" is misspelled as "Convertion". I just haven't had the time to fix it.

RE water/env:
Water surface i've never really been happy with. Just haven't had the time to fix it. Since wave mechanics effect AI visuals i tend to avoid the scene.dat file as i hate readjusting the AI. That said, some scene.dat and env fixes are in a patch ive been working on and currently testing.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 06:17 PM   #1733
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
Опять ты "мудрствуешь лукаво" ... bla-bla ...
Personally to me ... i do not need your help or councils ...
... better read old threads and posts ...
All stuffs (except TMO's specific) are realised for a long time...
Nope, no idea what you are trying to say here... You are publicly stating that you have problems though, which is a step forward, well done! With any luck, we can rehabilitate you from that monkey that flings its own nasty stuff everywhere. No, no.. I won't shake your hand thanks.
Old 12-03-09, 06:33 PM   #1734
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Anvart, so the interior is not perfect in TMO, these issues are left over from stock though
These problems are known for a long time and for a long time are solved... but not in TMO... i see...
Quote:
As far as the two telegraphs, they represent one telegraph for engines one and two, and one telegraph for engines three and four.In the game, the devs took easy aka cheap way out and grouped engines together instead of having four seperate engines as had in real life, ...
We say about ... that is in game ... and in game we have four tachometres ... and we have only one telegraph with handle (for NO)... and you think, Nav officer should not have knotmeter before eyes ...?
Quote:
As far as the Nagara Maru(merchant pictured) , whats your prob, seen pics of Japanese Marus like that.That is a large modern freighter from stock version though, named Nagara Maru in TMO.
It's not my problem ... it's ship problem ... Smoke, smoke and once again smoke ...
I could not define for 10 minutes of mod viewing ... what ship is it ...
Quote:
The watchman not rotating is just nitpicking, but I understand, these leftover things that were in because devs didnt do it correctly to begin with are annoying.Hopefully some modder will have time to correct them.
I have shown only a part of problems ...
If not to speak about problems, they remain for ever... as in all global mods from 2005 ...

Last edited by Anvart; 12-03-09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 06:43 PM   #1735
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Anvart posts

Is anvart in Ekatriaburg (spell?). That is where he czar and his family were killed. He must be freezing to death and stuck indoors, frozen to his computer. (Brrr!)

Anyway, nothing like a good ol' lovefest.

I recommend to anvart that he tries to write in complete sentences and communicate clearly if possible. I missed the point of most of the screen shots and his comments did not clarify them to much. I got the gist of his post, but if the fur is going to fly I want a ringside seat so I don't miss anything.
Old 12-03-09, 06:54 PM   #1736
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Nope, no idea what you are trying to say here... You are publicly stating that you have problems though, which is a step forward, well done! With any luck, we can rehabilitate you from that monkey that flings its own nasty stuff everywhere. No, no.. I won't shake your hand thanks.
There are not my problems... these are TMO problems ...
I am lazy to translate yours bla-bla...
I will talk with Ducimus better...
Bye-bye ...

Old 12-03-09, 07:00 PM   #1737
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Is anvart in Ekatriaburg (spell?). That is where he czar and his family were killed. He must be freezing to death and stuck indoors, frozen to his computer. (Brrr!)

Anyway, nothing like a good ol' lovefest.

I recommend to anvart that he tries to write in complete sentences and communicate clearly if possible. I missed the point of most of the screen shots and his comments did not clarify them to much. I got the gist of his post, but if the fur is going to fly I want a ringside seat so I don't miss anything.
Ещё один знаток истории?
It is boring to me to discuss with you historical themes...

Old 12-03-09, 07:51 PM   #1738
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Anvart, are you bored?
May be you are right ...
The first question... Are you one in your team?
Quote:
RE Missing Dials, Dial textures, incorrect texture mapping:
This falls into the realm of 3d modeling. Something that i don't know how to do. Sure i can place existing 3d objects into another, but loading stuff up into wings3d or whatever was never something i had the time or patience to learn. If you want to take a crack at that, be my guest, i'd happily annotate the credits list.

RE Incorrect dial types:
Again, this is 3d modeling. All i can do is try to make it so whatever does exist, work. I'm well aware the dials at that table are of the incorrect type given what we have to work with. But since i know squat about 3d modeling, there's nothing i can do about it. If you want to take a crack at that too, be my guest, i'd happily annotate the credits list.
Why not ... may be necessary to think about it ... i made it for my stock ... i do not remember when... and my old HexEditor did not change date of files... heh ... but i am lazy now ... to do not interesting work ...
Quote:
RE Aft port watchman near the cigarette deck.
I never looked at him that closely. He's there, hes using his binoculars, so i didn't scrutinize it. Never paid him any mind.
It's simply ...
Quote:
RE Type 9 radioroom.

Again, i can't do 3d modelling. I can however canabalize existing models. The premise here being "something is better then nothing". If i had my choice i would have included this instead. But he's hit a road block that nobody in the know will help him with, and he's since taken a leave of absence. So i made due with what resources i had.
May be you have not understood me ...
Read tips for MISC button ...
... and nothing (yet, while) is better ... than s*hit ...
Quote:
RE gramophone.
The buttons are there on the lower right hand corner. The chart itself, i'm assuming you know what that is, so i don't think i need to explain it. Yes im aware "Conversion" is misspelled as "Convertion". I just haven't had the time to fix it.
Yes, i have hardly seen gramophon buttons... ... it's not easy task ...
Quote:
RE water/env:
Water surface i've never really been happy with. Just haven't had the time to fix it. Since wave mechanics effect AI visuals i tend to avoid the scene.dat file as i hate readjusting the AI. That said, some scene.dat and env fixes are in a patch ive been working on and currently testing.
You are right ... environment, graphics do not love maximalism ...

P.S. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...jpg#post905730
..... #244

Last edited by Anvart; 12-05-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 10:24 PM   #1739
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default anvart

it's boring to you? You are unable to spell or write a complete sentence. bla bla.

Why post in a public forum if you want to communicate with ducimus? Send him a pm. He loves those. Better yet, SH5 is coming out soon and you will have your hands full with that game. bla. bla. BLA!!!
Old 12-04-09, 06:59 AM   #1740
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default mines

we do need the mine hunting sonar....

there are minefields.... found out the hard way

love it!

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote