SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-23, 09:23 PM   #76
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I've been paying much closer attention to the salt and sugar content of products I buy lately.

I've found that I can substitute Greek yogurt for most creamy things like mayo, sour cream, or cream cheese. I can doctor it up with some dill or chives.

Trying to increase my intake of foods with potassium such as avocado, sweet potato, banana.

Inflation has reduced my meat intake, and upped my bean intake.
Old 04-26-23, 02:56 AM   #77
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

To check sugar content, is a good.
To check the salt content is completely unfounded and not needed. Better check for the salt quality, that it is no fluoridated salt, but is preferably natural rock salt (unlikely with industrially processed "MREs"). The myth that salt raises blood pressure and makes you ill, is exactly that: a myth. And it has killed millions.

Also iodine in salt is useless if the salt is put into boiling water, or is heated up elsewise: the iodine then immediately disappears in a puff of invisible smoke. Its way too low quantities in iodinated salt anyway. Iodine should be consumed, but there is no argument that is convincing to think you can do with iodine salt alone. So avoid these processed industrially cleaned and refined salts like iodine salt, but stick with sea salt or better: rock salt, which is sea salt from the very first ocean there was, a sea salt without modern microplastic. . It contains a lot of additional minerals. Thats why salts indeed can taste differently. I have four different kinds of salt in the kitchen! And I mostly enjoy them pure. That way, I do not eat crackers and peanut flips anymore with all that bad quality fat in them which make them so unhealthy.

The German term is Steinsalz and I just translate it as rock salt, I think the English term is different however, I always forget it.

Just no (expensive) Himalaya salt, please. Big hocus pocus that often does not even come from the Himalaya, and has often high levels of flouride in them too often. Its an esoterically-founded rip-off. And not rarely you risk to also consume a dose of quick silver, lead, heavy metals and other goodies like that with it. It simply is bad, dirty, overpriced salt. Avoid!

Avoiding industrially processed food means you can control the quality of the salt you have in your meals. Quality control: good idea. Quantity control: not necessary, simply let your taste lead you. Take as much salt as you want. - Assuming there are no other existing health conditions in play. Blood pressure is no argument with salt. Thats a modern myth.

Truth is: many people simply eat too less salt!

Its the same like with oils and fats. One must not avoid them, but one must check for good quality and avoid all those industrially processed plant seed oils, trans fats, hardened fats. Seed oils are inflammatory Omega-6-bombs, sunflower oil for exmaple tastes dleciious, but it has a ratipo of O6 to O3 that is in the range of 125:1 to 130:1. Rape seed oil: still 25:1 to 30:1. Corn oil, popular in the US: 50:1. Thistle seed oil borders an assassination attempt: 150:1! And the word bomb you can take literally. Hands off these oils, they are poisonous!

The global pandemic of obesity and Diabetes you can see everywhere where Western food regimes with use of plenty of these seed oils, high carbohydrate intake (including but not limited to sweet sugar, and special focus too on wheat products: pasta, bread etc.) take over. What does Mediterranean diat lack? Carbohydrates. Seed oils. Sugars. Milk and cream. Very rare use: pasta. Some bread. What does it use? Vegetables. Fatty fish and sea fruit. Olive oil, and plenty of it! Eggs. Moderate meat consumption, much less than many think.

If eating normally, fat does not make you fat - carbohydrates do.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-26-23 at 03:24 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-23, 04:40 AM   #78
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Egg prices have gone steeply up in past 12 months.

Along with probably every other foodstuff

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-23, 12:08 PM   #79
Skybird
Soaring

Old 05-10-23, 11:10 AM   #80
Skybird
Soaring

The often - and often intentionally - misunderstood Monosodium Glutamate:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...cmd/index.html

To the best knowledge I collected about MSG I say it is harmless and China restaurant syndrome does not exist, not in context of a reference to MSG. However, original Chinese food can contain ingreidnts and comnp0entnet snot used in Wetsenr cuisines and thus being exotic and Western digestive systems not being used to them, sauces, soy- related products , and certain mushrooms and rare vegetables on my mind. I can absolutely imagine that some of these may cause malaise, nausea or similar symptoms.MSG cannot and does not.

When we talk about glutamate, we mean glutamic acid (L-glutamic acid) and its salts. Glutamic acid is a non-essential amino acid that is a building block for proteins in nature and is therefore found in all living things. Our bodies also produce glutamic acid, where it performs a variety of functions, including acting as a messenger. Protein foods such as soya, yeast, cheese and tomatoes naturally contain glutamic acid. It is either bound to proteins or is free.

I come to use it frequently, mainly for meat and fish and dishes that are fried hot. One word of cautioning, tough: the temptation to overdose it due to the fine taste it gives, is high - but resist! I found to have a limit and if I exceed that limit, I may suffer a brief and sudden episode of diarrhoe, not different from eating too much salt in one rush or using too much soy sauce in one meal or too much oil of any kind. Too much is too much, and anything can become too much if you overdose it. So there is no sensational revelation about the danger of MSG in this, it just is like with any other thing you eat. Too much is too much.

I would not want to miss MSG in my cuisine. I do not care for MSG values on food labels. Like salt content, MSG content is not relevant for my health. Sugar content, quality of oil/fat, carbohydrate content and a huge variety of other chemical supplements added in the lab - that are relevant things one should watch out for. For salt and MSG values I do not care.
Old 05-17-23, 02:00 PM   #81
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Speaking of mental health…

Corporations have already figured out how to create hits of dopamine through vertical scrolls, bright colors, sugary foods etc. Look at how much time we spend on our phones

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-23, 02:30 PM   #82
Skybird
Soaring

Intelligent design? I wonder if it is really intelligent what they are doing.

And wasn't balde Runner meant to be a scifi movie only?

One thing is clear. The "elites" are closer than ever to indeed create themselves the obedient electorate that they so much want.

They are now creating artificial wombs, btw. Women as mothers will not be needed anymore. Babies will be in vitro-created "tank-borns".
Old 08-06-23, 06:52 AM   #83
Skybird
Soaring

On Vitamin K2

In the past month I rediscovered the meaning of the word "underestimating".
I often mentioned in context with Vitamin D that taking it should be seen as a triade of taking D, Magnesia, and K2. But in the vitamin D "scene", in recent two years there has been a creeping raise in awareness of the relevance of K2, which before was seen just as a deputy for Vitamin D: Magnesium acitvates fat-cell-stored Vitamin D into a metabolically usable/active format, D then takes more calcium into the blood from the food in the guts, K2 brings it from the bloodstream into the bones, end of story. For me, this understanding saw a revolutionising in the past couple of weeks, due to reading a book I stumbled over, “Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox” by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue from Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the book
Even without any of these [previously discussed] health concerns, another very compelling factor points to the strong probability that you are K2 deficient: according to recent research, most people are. A 2007 study revealed that the majority of “apparently healthy” individuals have substantial levels under-carboxylated osteocalcin and matrix gla protein (MGP), caused by vitamin K2 deficiency. In other words, most people do not have adequate vitamin K2 levels to fully activate the proteins needed for optimal bone and heart health. If you can be K2 deficient and apparently healthy, then what’s the big deal? Based on the most current understanding of how and why we grow old, the triage theory of aging, undetected vitamin K2 deficiency now will take its toll later in life. Poor vitamin K2 status must be regarded as a serious risk factor for increased postmenopausal bone loss, artery calcification, diabetes, end-stage kidney disease and aging itself.
I have moved K2 since then much morte central into my focus and pushed it to near the top ranks of my nutrients priority list. HJowever, its not to be understood as "take A and B and forget the rest, they are not imprtantr", its always about interactions of many factors, thats why I tell everbyody asking "Do not supplement just this and that, but supplement in full range and width". For exmaple Vitmains D and A are mutally interlinked, somewhat, and if you take big doerses of D and too small doses of A, you can suffer earlier from toxicity of Vtimain D, however the same Vitamine D toxicity symptoms may raise their head if you have too much Vitamine D. And what both do for your bones if both vitamins are present in healthy balance, they cna only do if you have a good supply of K2 as well. And Magnesium plays into this as well. And Zinc. And Bor. You see - its never one or two supplements alone that do the trick. Go all the way, only then you can see all the sights and viewing points.

I very strongly recommend this book, since it touches on a mechanism that is utmost profound for our health and wellbeing, and it gives a great overview over the 70 year history of activator-X, as it was formerly known as, and its importance for a healthy diet cannot be overestimated. A very significant share of civilizational deases are due to malnutrition, especially in context with teeth problems, osteoporosis, arterosclerosis, cardiovascular health issues, strokes, diabetes, etc. I mean I had it on radar after understanding the relation between Vitamine D and K2, but somehow I missed to think it to the real very end and understanding of the conclusions to the full and extremely existential ends. This book has changed it.

The following is a review and overview on the book. I do not know the author of that text, its just what I could find on reviews on the book.

https://lauraschoenfeldrd.com/book-r...lcium-paradox/

A brief summary of the key message:
Quote:
So, what exactly is the role of K2 in the body? As Rheaume-Bleue explains in a nutshell, “Vitamin K2 funnels calcium into bones to strengthen mineral density and fight fractures while it prevents and even removes dangerous arterial calcification” (p. 4). But what does this mean in the context of the body? And how does K2 affect calcium regulation? Vitamin K2 activates, through carboxylation, a protein called osteocalcin, which attracts calcium into bones and teeth. K2 also activates matrix GLA proteins (MGPs), which remove calcium out of the soft tissues like arteries (p. 12). These K2-dependent proteins are essential for moving calcium around the body, and are regulated by the body’s levels of vitamins A and D. Therefore, when K2 is deficient, not only does bone mineral density suffer, but the calcium plaque that arises in atherosclerosis is inevitable. Your arteries literally begin to turn into fully formed bone tissue, marrow and all (p. 17). Yikes… sounds like this vitamin K2 thing is pretty important.

For those cautious people with raised eyebrows: I believe that everything becomes poisonous if it is too much. They searched for the toxicity treshhold level of K2, and the stood on teir toes and stretched their arms and fingers over their heads to feel the ceiling, but they did not reach any. No doubt there is a ceiling, but i tell you, it is really damn high, and I am confident to claim that you are most likely find it impossible to overdose K2 and suffer toxic setback symptoms of any kind. No case for that has been described in literature! Thats why I was not hesitent to triple the dose of K2 I took so far. (Interesting side-effect: doing so has almost doubled my tolerance level for Magnesia, and I conclude this again has probably raised my efficiency rate of making use of my stored Vitamine-D reserves). Why I do such "extreme" things? Because I red so very often now about food comparisons back then and now, that our modern food, even if claimed to be "organic/Bio", has a content of nutrients that is, four, six, eight and even ten factors below what our ancestors used to eat in food quality (not necessarily quantity!) lets say a thousand years ago. I also cannot rule out completely that my gut health already has suffered and thus absorption of nutrients does not work as well anymore as it should be, reducing further my intake quota of nutrients, and I also consider the deficits I help to raise by still commiting some bad deeds relating my eating habits and stuff I eat though I know I shouldn't, and not eating enough of that stuff I know I should eat more of. Well. 50% of 100 is more than 100% of nothing. Thats clever rationalising... LOL

Read that book by Kate Rheaume-Bleue. Its worth its weight in gold. Its available already in many languagesm and was publishe din 2012. Sometimes the structure is a bit on the wild side, means: there is room for improvement in this regard, but she packs an incredible ammount of documented info into a format that laymen can understand and enjoy to read, while not loosing the academically founded fundament , I would claim that everybody can benefit from K2 in our modern malnutritioned world. We eat plenty of calories. But we do not eat sufficient ammounts of nutrients. We are starving while being fed up. A calcium-dysbalance - which K2 is very much about - effects practically every civilizational desease that plagues modern man: bones, cardiovascular system, plaques, diabetes...

If you deal with osteoporosis, insuline resistence, artery plaques, cardiovascular risks and coronary heart desease, consider this book a mandatory reading.

Sad truth is that not just a few doctors are out there who still give calcium carelessly easily, and still mistake the role of Vitamine D and K2 in the Calcium cycle, and still mistake the different role of K1 and K2 and think its all the same. Sad, but true. Be warned. Many doctors have K2 not even on their radar. It should not be so, but it is so with quite some of them.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-14-23 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 06:06 AM   #84
Skybird
Soaring

On the "Microbiome"

From the NZZ:
When I talk to someone about a disease, it usually doesn't take long before the microbiome comes into play. "I'm sure it has something to do with the microbiome," says the other person, revealing himself to be a well-read contemporary. Because the media are full of it. Whether it's Alzheimer's, heart attacks or rheumatism - everything seems to be somehow related to the bacteria and fungi in our bodies: the microbiome, in other words.

And that is probably not wrong. Just as most things are somehow related to sleep. With stress. Nutrition. Metabolism. The psyche. Medicine speaks of non-specific effects. Which means as much as: We don't really understand the connection.

This is also true of the microbiome - and how it keeps us healthy or makes us ill. This makes good research all the more important. In recent years, research on this topic has boomed. The result is a flood of scientific and journalistic articles. As is often the case with fashionable topics, everyone copies from everyone else, hoping that the facts in the other article will already be correct.

This leads to errors being repeated until they become part of the scientific literature - and no one questions them anymore. No one? In the case of microbiome reporting, two British scientists who are themselves doing research on the microbiome took the trouble to check a few of the most common claims for their truth content. In the process, they came across ten "facts" that they debunked as myths and misconceptions in the scientific journal Nature Microbiology.

>
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-023-01426-7

Quote:

Conclusions

The microbiome field is broad, and there are many other controversial topics that might also have been included here. However, knowledge is still evolving on many of these; consequently, we have largely focused on concepts where we believe there is a strong evidence base for rejecting myths and misconceptions. Although some of the points above may seem trivial, we argue that the accuracy of details such as these matters. If we are consistently repeating falsehoods about minor details, can our accuracy be relied upon when covering more important matters? We hope that, by illustrating just a few examples of microbiome myths and misconceptions, we can draw increased attention to the potential problems of over-simplification and insufficient critical assessment in the microbiome literature.
Given the many potential health impacts, the huge amount of funding and the keen public interest in microbiomes, rejection of unfounded assertions is crucial if we wish to avoid expending finite resources researching unproductive avenues and undermining public confidence in our conclusions.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-14-23 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-25-23, 08:41 AM   #85
Skybird
Soaring

Food from hell? - Fastfood

https://www-focus-de.translate.goog/..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Ah, comfortable to see this relaxed practice of plain reason. The branch of ecotrophology usually is intoxicated with hype and hysteria and very bad scientific methodological standards, and that ideologists use health as well as climate as strawman alibis to demand that their ideological worldview should be enforced politically, and that they think have the right to enforce their eating rules on all others does not make it any better.

Sometimes I have a Yum-Yum craving for Pommes Frites with mayonaise. Point is this happens just every couple of weeks, if not months. same with burgers, I have nowaday one or two a year, and then do them myself. Pizza I have more often , but then its not just any cheap frozen pizza, but selfmade. Pure neapolitan pizza, plain and simpe. Hot bread with a spread.

Eat different things and not always the same every day. Avoid sugar, corn syrups, soft drinks (now this is the only rule in ecotrophology where there can be no doubt on anymore).Have meat and fish regularly, as well as only few fruits, but frequent vegetable. Check if you can go without your daily dose of white flour products (bread, pasta) , have them occasionally only, not every day. Cut down on your carbohydrates (including sweets), but down't massacre yourself, your compliance will fade the faster the stricter the regime your try to maintain. Ignore demands to reduce your salt, eat as much salt as you like and your body demands, the low salt regiment is a very dangerous, in the end: lethal nutrition myth that still is propagated ground the world, but its wrong and dioes immense harm to millions of people). Have bitter herbs and vinegar daily, these two tastes have almost disappeared from many modern household cuisine, and that is not good. Spices are not only tasty, they often also are healthy. Nothing wrong with having a moderate hotness in your spice selection as well, just dont exaggerate it. Be very choosey in your selections of fats and oils, avoid plant seed oils compeletly and always, also margarine and transfats. But have plenty of oil and fat per day, best in a range of different ones: olive oil, fish oil, pastured gee and butter, cocos oil, animal fats. Be reminded of thaat there is still plenty of mythology in the game when it comes to animals and saturated fats, mostly pushed nowadays by vegatarians and vegans. Its hair-raising what I sometimes read on this topic.

We are not herbivores, and we are not carnivores. We are opportunists, omnivores. We - tremendously - benefit from the consummation of fish and sea fruit and meat. Respect that, its our biology and our nature. Ideology shall have no rights here. Nor a stupid WHO thsat cklaims on the grounds of dubious and badly-made "studies" that "eating meat creates cancer". Total bull. The dose makes the poison. Are there still any poor fools out there who actually listen to these criminally clueless WHO idiots? Actually, they are obscure power politicians that to 85% are financed by dubious private billionaires with their own business agendas for controlling the globe.

Fastfood - food from hell? No. Just dont eat it all the time, but just occaisonally, and I bet most will be fine if not already being adipose or diabetic.

Supplement vitamines (especially plenty of both D and K2, also some A with which caution nevertheles smuist be prsatciced, I think,a nd plenty of C, Bo complex. Minerals (especially plenty of magnesium, and more zinc than they usually tell you), trace agents (selenium, iodione, never the latter without the first, but then drive the dose upwards). Fish oil/Omega 3. Supplement width and in depth. This advice always is valid, no matter what you eat and if you think yor eat healthy or not - do supplement. Most doctors do not know this stuff well, its not part of the studies they learned at university, its kept out of the curriculae, the industry has its hand in there, since it wants to sell its stuff to ill people. You need to gain some base knowledge on all this yourself. Mainstream medicine still is, all in all, very very wrong on this topic. Some doctors know this stuff, feel like a lottery winner if you found one. Expect most doctors still not to know it. The situation is changing, but onyl slowly. Recent new WHO power policy enforcements will feed back badly on this sooner or later, I fear.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-25-23 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-25-23, 08:56 AM   #86
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

CURRY IS KING

Old 08-25-23, 10:58 AM   #87
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
CURRY IS KING

Currently baking together a Goulasch. Without curry, though...
Old 08-25-23, 11:19 AM   #88
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Currently baking together a Goulasch. Without curry, though...
The more beef the better

Old 08-25-23, 04:41 PM   #89
Skybird
Soaring

A crime story

I can only link you to this excerpt here, paste and copy is not possible, call up this book at Amazon and then open up the reading example page. In that, scroll around one third down and go to the image with the dog and the crippled human legs (reads "Dog with rickets") , that is when the index at the bottom says you have red around 33%, and then read to approximately 56% of the excerpt. You want especially the list with years and FDA attempts.

https://www.amazon.de/Miraculous-Pre...rmat=1&depth=1

What you read is a brief history of the development of hospitasl number sin the US in the last century, and what the consummation rate of Vitamin D had to do with its ups and downs. You also read a - long - list of attempts by the FDA to criminalise the consummation of healthy and therapeutically efficient doses of Vitamin D in an attempt to prevent Vitamin D from sale, or preventing it to be sold without prescription and in minimal doses that do almost nothing, in an attempt to fill hospitals with ill people again so that the financial income situation of these houses was not in danger anymore and the pharmaceutical industry would sell more of its expensive and more profitable "cures" (which in the end are poisons with a long list of side effects).

Its depressing, the criminal energy and the contempt for health and life of millions and millions of people, which is expressed in these criminal machinations, is breathtaking, and murderous. We see a similar behavior again in connection with the machinations around the billion dollar business with the Corona vaccinations. I described the pattenr before in cotnext with the demonzation of iodine in favour of much more expensive synthetic Tyroxin.

I just red this book because it was recommended to me. My thoughts: the author is famous for having undergone a selfmanaged Vitamin-D high dose therapy for self-treatment (with doses that made even me dizzy from reading), and having had a claimed spectacular health success with it, about which he wrote his first book that turned into a huge bestseller. This book here now is - well, there is the form and there ist the content. The content is, as far as I can judge, very good and correct, but unfortunately, the man writes in a very sensationalist and blatant manner and does not meet the formal standards that I actually expect from such a book. Nevertheless, in case of doubt, the content outweighs the amateurish format, and it is not the first time that I have been struck by American authors with this form of authorship, with which they also advertise themselves. What he says, however, is rhetorically attackable by his "boorish behavior", and to allow that, because one wants to write flippantly to entertain the readers, is unwise and scares off many, no doubt, with that he does his cause no favor. Now I know the stuff from before and from other sources and can therefore assess the credibility of his statements. So, he is right, flippant or not. My aim is to draw attention to the machinations of Big Pharma, and the selected text excerpt serves this purpose well. You remember that at the beginning of Corona 2020 I cursed that the German Greens had nothing better to do than to try again to get Brussels to strictly and oppressively regulate all nutritional supplements in Europe on a transnational basis (like they also want to command us all what to eat and what not, this totalitarian scum). Brussels said they just had other things to do, but in truth these machinations have continued in the background, and a new "initiative" to ban the sale of vitamins and minerals or limit them to therapeutically ineffective dosages is already well underway. Pig gang. At the same time, the Greens absolutely want homeopathic superstition to continue to be health insurrance cash benefits, claiming that it has been "scientifically proven" . It is a ####! I read that in the U.S.A. the sales packages for homeopathic snake waters and esoteric pills, like cigarettes, must be provided with warning notes, which point to their content ineffectiveness.

I hope the Americans torpedoe this EU coup in total. Not the FDA, which is as corrupt and criminal und unscrupolous as the German DGE or ARB, but this pro consumer organisation the excerpt mentions.

For leaving, understand that the same criminal lobbyists conducting these assaults on public health and life expectancy of milliosn and milliosn of people, for profit reasons of big pharma, are the same who massively influence and even formulate the laws affecting health policies, and also decisevly influence the content of university curriculae that determine what medicine students must learn and what not. And then decide whether blind trust in the system and regulators and in doctors is really justified.

When cash money is gone, a ban of such supplements is among the things the state can enforce with the pushing of a button. Halleluja! Paying with card is so cool, is so sexy, makes you being "in"! Become the servant of the month if behaving obedient and servile enough!

Last edited by Skybird; 08-25-23 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 07:25 AM   #90
Skybird
Soaring

11 Principles perfect food advice!

Vegans and vegetarians must hate this. LOL

https://www.westonaprice.org/11-principles-overview/

I have really nothing to complain about or to relativize. How often does that happen...?
I cureently read Weston Price's ground-breaking book from 1939, Nutrition and Physical Degenaration. Donnerwetter...! This will make it on my list of most relevant reads. Thanks to Rheume-Bleue for bringing this to my attention. I more and more learn what a perfectly criminal mafia the food and pharmaceutical industry is. I am not shy anymore to put it like this: they slaughter us.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-29-23 at 07:35 AM.