SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-24, 08:36 PM   #1
Major SNAFU
Duplicate account

Not Allowed

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default returning player swtiching from CD to Steam version

Hi all,

It has been a long time, but I am back and in the interim I purchased the steam versions even thought I still have the CDs.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I was running TMO back in the day, and I am wondering if JSME works the same for Steam installs as it did for CD-based installs.

Also, I initially had an issue where the game on max settings would launch and run fine so long as I didn't try to access any view that included the world outside of the the sub (binos, periscope, etc.) This would instantly crash the game (vanilla). I enabled all of the compatability for XP SP2, etc. and set the graphics to medium and then I could get by, but still with crashes when switching views - but seemingly random.

I have read about some memory address mod - but I have located it yet, but it seems like this resolves many crashing issues on newer machines.

I am intrigued by the FORS mod, but TMO was great and I think I will return to that first and then maybe switch over.

If someone would kindly point me to the memory mod and address the JSME question about Steam installs, I would be much obliged.

Thanks,
Major SNAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-24, 08:49 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Default Welcome back!

Major SNAFU! after a 12-year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-24, 05:18 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major SNAFU View Post
Hi all,

It has been a long time, but I am back and in the interim I purchased the steam versions even thought I still have the CDs.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I was running TMO back in the day, and I am wondering if JSME works the same for Steam installs as it did for CD-based installs.

Also, I initially had an issue where the game on max settings would launch and run fine so long as I didn't try to access any view that included the world outside of the the sub (binos, periscope, etc.) This would instantly crash the game (vanilla). I enabled all of the compatability for XP SP2, etc. and set the graphics to medium and then I could get by, but still with crashes when switching views - but seemingly random.

I have read about some memory address mod - but I have located it yet, but it seems like this resolves many crashing issues on newer machines.

I am intrigued by the FORS mod, but TMO was great and I think I will return to that first and then maybe switch over.

If someone would kindly point me to the memory mod and address the JSME question about Steam installs, I would be much obliged.

Thanks,
If you're able to still 'see' the site, contact a moderator or the admin and get your account squared. It's easy enough to get your old creds back, so long as you do that before trying to do a new log-in...

Anyway, the NTCore 4GB Patch or Large Address Aware (both off-site) will both work for that. On the 'modern' computer, you do have to tell the SH4 install routine, especially the Steam version, to NOT install in a "C:\Program Files..." folder. During the install, alter the path, and point it at a folder you create yourself, such as "C:\Games" and install there. Steam itself will still install itself in C:\Program Files... but will leave the Steam Library folder in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter...", which will then allow you to modify the game using JSGME with TMO, or any other mod you want to use. If you have previously run the game, you will want to empty the Save folder, which involves using File Manager (or similar) to delete the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder, which will then be re-created when you next run the modded game. That will allow new data to populate the Save folder, which is where the game gets most of its running data from. Any major mod changes, and you'll have to empty the Save folder again.

As for the display, you do need to right-click the SH4.exe file in the game folder, choose "Properties" from the context menu, and change some of the settings found there. Not all computers are alike, so it might vary as to which you need to change:

That is Win10 there, and Win11 will be almost identical, except with "rounded corners" on the Windows. Win7, 8 and Vista will be similar, but missing some of the choices. Experimentation is required to find the best combination for your machine.

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-24, 03:06 AM   #4
1Patriotofmany
Captain

Downloads: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major SNAFU View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
JSGME works fine, I have a multitude of mods running on the steam version. I recommend putting multiSH4 1.5 also in each mod folder(I use different folders for each mod)Using the original download as a template. I never touch the original install except to copy all the files in it to make new folders for each mod. multish4 1.5 will allow the saved games to save under a different 3 letter save location. Otherwise running numerous mods they will default the save games to SH4 in your documents folder and this will lead to a lot of problems. Using Multish4 1.5 you won't have to switch over. Make individual folders for each mod. You can play any mod you want anytime wiout messing up the oother mods. Takes more space of course but geez we have more HD space for less money than ever before.,....

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 08-02-24 at 08:59 PM.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote