SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-11, 08:08 PM   #1516
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I say let him build it.

That in mind I also think everybody has to keep in mind its a BETA and whenever something game changing comes out we need to bring on a new map.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 08:24 PM   #1517
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Well I don't think a new map every huge update needs to be taken as a rule.

Take for example the new biomes, yes because it changed terrain features, etc it needed to be changed. But if new mobs, and recipes are added, then I don't think we need to change a map for that, do you?
Old 01-26-11, 08:33 PM   #1518
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Hey, not saying he can't build it.

There's alot of things Notch doesnt say in detail when he updates.

Like the rareness of iron, I don't recall him never mentioning that it was upped, but it was. And with more members in the team, Notch isn't even aware of all the changes (for example, Notch thouch birch/pine trees would drop birch/pine saplings until players proved him wrong).

The problem is, that new ores/plants/blocks aren't generated into existing blocks. Say, Notch includes the brown dye stuff, cocoa bean, all who wants it, needs to go beyond known chunks to get it.

All I am saying is that HUGE project simply aren't worth it at beta stage IMHO.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 08:34 PM   #1519
Drewcifer
Commodore

Well now your just being a pain in my side..

I meant the map change as a rough guideline. OBVIOUSLY not every update demands a map change.
Old 01-26-11, 08:38 PM   #1520
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

@ Dowly I agree with that completely. (and as for birch/pine trees dropping specific saplings I thought that was supposed to be implemented too )

@ Drew; sorry not meaning to be a pest
Old 01-26-11, 08:51 PM   #1521
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Well now your just being a pain in my side..

I meant the map change as a rough guideline. OBVIOUSLY not every update demands a map change.
All I am saying is that it is a beta and I believe it says somewher along the install to 'not get fond of your saved games'.

I'm not sure if you really understand how big a 450x450 + dig down really is, nor do I, but I would guess it's hundreds of thousands if not millions of blocks.

I'm all for big projects, they look F'ng awesome when finished. Just making sure Spike knows where he is getting into.

Re: Krauters 'I think that's not particularly fair to Spike...' comment,

Well, we got what, 6-8 players who are regulars. Say, there's a big update, that really changes the game, would it not be more fair for the 6-8 players to start a new world than wait for one player to finish his project, which would be "erased" by the new map the moment he/she is finished?

Sorry for being so straight, a tad drunk here... people should be more straightforward tho... much easier..
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:19 PM   #1522
Drewcifer
Commodore

Not sure why I was quoted? I was agreeing with you, the state of the game dictates there will be map changes.

Besides I'm the sort that wants the experience the new stuff from a new start to speak. not mingled in with all the old.

That being said I tried to message you on steam Dowly I was traped in a hole and needed a drunk to save me.. oddly enough it was in the admin area so I couldn't break blocks. LUCKLY Keab came to my rescue with the all mighty block of dirt so that I might leap out.
Old 01-26-11, 09:47 PM   #1523
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Like I said I agree with the fact that a new map would be best for all

What I mean by that's not particularly fair is ONLY in a sense that you didn't want him to, or rather wouldn't recommend him, to pursue the project.

On the contrary however, if we have, 6-8 regulars, as you say, and ONE person has a huge project that needs completion, I say we either, as you say, say screw it (which would be my first option to pick), OR, we as a community, help that person finish the project.
Now that doesn't mean that if spike has only dug his 450x450 area down 10 layers we finish the hole and the castle. But I mean if all he had to do was finish the main castle structure, then yes I would want to help him finish it.

Cheers!

Krauter
Old 01-26-11, 09:59 PM   #1524
ASWnut101
Admiral

Downloads: 9

Sorry to butt in the conversation, but here's a little perspective...

Area of Spike's hole: 79108.95 blocks. Assuming he uses a diamond pickaxe (which I don't think he is), and he's going through nothing but smooth stone, it will take 46.55 days for him to go through 30 layers, about halfway to bedrock.

Make what you will of it, but might I suggest that someone lends him some TNT?

ASWnut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 10:07 PM   #1525
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Thats what I suggested, but he said he can't because its too unpredictable.(he wants to maintain a centre pillar to build his castle on.)

Edit: And you're never butting in if you have something to say :P this is an open board
Old 01-27-11, 03:10 AM   #1526
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASWnut101 View Post
Sorry to butt in the conversation, but here's a little perspective...

Area of Spike's hole: 79108.95 blocks. Assuming he uses a diamond pickaxe (which I don't think he is), and he's going through nothing but smooth stone, it will take 46.55 days for him to go through 30 layers, about halfway to bedrock.

Make what you will of it, but might I suggest that someone lends him some TNT?

Gee. Thanks for making it seem like such a huge project.

As for the whole argument on whether or not I should try any mega projects, or just wait until we get a finished game. What's the point of not trying?

It's not like I'm wasting time that could be spent doing something else, especially when I'm barely on. Sure it may end up just another project that doesn't get complete, but honestly, if it does not appear completable by the time we need a new map for an update, I'll just leave it be.

Now if it the hole was 90% finished and we got an update, I would ask for either A. Help or B. just more time. But other than that I don't think it's fair to tell everyone to wait for a new map just because I still want to work on the hole.
Old 01-27-11, 06:05 AM   #1527
papa_smurf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike88 View Post
Gee. Thanks for making it seem like such a huge project.

As for the whole argument on whether or not I should try any mega projects, or just wait until we get a finished game. What's the point of not trying?

It's not like I'm wasting time that could be spent doing something else, especially when I'm barely on. Sure it may end up just another project that doesn't get complete, but honestly, if it does not appear completable by the time we need a new map for an update, I'll just leave it be.

Now if it the hole was 90% finished and we got an update, I would ask for either A. Help or B. just more time. But other than that I don't think it's fair to tell everyone to wait for a new map just because I still want to work on the hole.
I am glad that i'm just working on a small scale project, don't think I could manage such a large scale project.

Speaking of projects, my tower is 1/4 built. I demolished my garden as it was too exposed so it's going on top of the tower in a roof garden (may make it a greenhouse in the future). I'm building a staircase as I go up, which makes construction easy, and plan to have 2 levels with roof garden.

Next will be a boat house built in the style of a U-boat pen with a tunnel leading from my house straight to it, and after that will dig another tunnel that will lead directly to my mine, reducing the amount of time I need to spend in the open to just cutting trees down/re-planting them. That is, if I come up with a way of growing trees under ground

Wait....what am I doing? This projects going to get out of hand soon......

papa_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 07:58 AM   #1528
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

If you want to plant trees all you need is dirt and a lot of light. As for underground farms, you just need to dig trenches, fill with water, have dirt within 4 squares o that and a lot of light and your set.
Old 01-27-11, 08:35 AM   #1529
papa_smurf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
If you want to plant trees all you need is dirt and a lot of light. As for underground farms, you just need to dig trenches, fill with water, have dirt within 4 squares o that and a lot of light and your set.
Knew that, was saying how easily things can get out of control with so many ideas you want to build.

papa_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 09:18 AM   #1530
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

The worlds of Minecraft lore are littered with the relics of Spikes unfinished projects, to have this world as an exception would just not be right

Although, to be fair, he did finish the pyramid and the Landing pad for the Space-Yamato, oh and his lovely castle in the first world so gotta give the guy some credit.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
minecraft