Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-06, 04:55 PM   #1
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
Commander

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I Think It's Time For Me To Retire

the recent events here have forced me to a decision that i really found difficult to make... but in the light of the recent senslessness i've witnessed on the General Forum, i must offer my regsignation to Neal as a forum admin here on the Subsim Indie board forum...

i can no longer in good conscience, continue to function in the capacity i once enjoyed...

the forum seems to be changing for the worse, and i take very seriously the kinds of people i associate myself with...

my contnued presence here would only serve as an unneccessary distraction to the entire forum, as i cannot stand by and watch what is going on here continue without commenting...

to all the good skippers of which i've enjoyed company with... may the wind be at your backs, and may all your dives equal all your surfacings...

permission to go ashore...

--Mike
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 10:48 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Sorry to see ya go Mike. You've been big part of the place for a long time.

Frankly, my way of dealing with all the wearisome tit-for-tat postings lately is to just not respond or ignore them, but I realize not everyone can in good conscience.

Hopefully, at some point in the future things will settle down again.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 02:00 PM   #3
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Heck your one of us a band of brothers we were all born for one perpose and one perpose alone we cant let one of our own go like this !

Retire if you must but retire on a promise ! and that promise is to return here and atleast say hi to us all every now and then !

Permision granted Good luck !

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 02:45 PM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Dont Forget "we Are In This Together From Begginging To End"

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 05:44 PM   #5
Linton
Sea Lord

It is a shame that we lose a member .There has been a lot of trash posted recently.I just ignore all the political postings or just read them back to front-that is always an amusement to see how a topic drifted and who was responsible!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 07:54 PM   #6
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

As i saw the post title i thought for a moment you are going to retire from developement

But well...

Ahh, i remember some years ago, the nice discussions we had here with me, you, Manuel and Leif. All the inspiration and encouragement i got here. That were innocent times. But mostly i never look into the political discussions. To bussy with IUF.

I would ignore that stuff and create my own nice little universe outside of it.

What will be your main forum now, Mike ?

Deamon

Last edited by Deamon; 07-24-06 at 08:00 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 11:55 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon
As i saw the post title i thought for a moment you are going to retire from developement

But well...

Ahh, i remember some years ago, the nice discussions we had here with me, you, Manuel and Leif. All the inspiration and encouragement i got here. That were innocent times. But mostly i never look into the political discussions. To bussy with IUF.

I would ignore that stuff and create my own nice little universe outside of it.

What will be your main forum now, Mike ?

Deamon
That's exactly the way to go about it. If political discussions bother you, stay out of them. I really don't understand the "I must leave here" thinking.... does that means you will leave the internet altogether? Because there are thousands of forums and usergroups discussing these topics all throughout the web... the only way to avoid them is to avoid them. Subsim's GT forum is the same as all the rest, you can either choose to participate in it or avoid it. That should not preclude one from participating in the Indie subsim, SH3, DW or other forums....

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 07-25-06 at 04:06 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 03:06 PM   #8
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Holy smolies Mike, you have taken a knife to your posts.

What's his web site address, I'll always keep an ey e on it.

See you around dude.
Old 07-25-06, 09:02 PM   #9
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

I always thought there were heated political discussions in the General Forum. At least for as long as I've been here. I haven't seen much change. I thought that's what the General Forum was for. Well that and all kinds of other topics. None of those kind of conversations happen in the DW, SH3, or other areas. So if you don't like that line of conversation, you don't participate.

As far as I'm concerned, Subsim is the best site around like this. Most other sites have General Forum discussion areas and the same happens there....more often worse. One other good thing about this site is the people who congregate here are an interesting and nice bunch of people with a variety of opinion.

Sad to see you go Mike.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 02:51 AM   #10
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Hmm of late they have got more antagonistic some are bordering on hateful. In fact when I first started here they weren't actually that bad.

I stay out of them mainly cos I can't be bothered putting across my views which certain people aren't going to agree with full stop and won't even bother moderating their position. Also the arguments are all circular.
Old 08-01-06, 04:19 PM   #11
Andy
Watch

Downloads: 25

Neal, you and I have known one another a while and have corresponded offline and exchanged mail. I haven't been around much lately - there is a war after all. But Mike is correct. As the forum has expanded, some great members have been gained. There is also an inordinate amount of bilge. Not just friendly disagreement and discussion mind you, but rather harsh and hateful attacks that are beyond reason.

Mike, I understand the frustration and wish you the best. The board will be poorer for your absence.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-06, 07:11 PM   #12
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Note:
Someone needs to take it easy -- edited by NS

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-23-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 06:35 AM   #13
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Mike I agree completely with what Neal has said...I also participated some time ago in many threads about islam, muslims, etc. in the general forum. But I got burnt when i saw I was was dedicating my currently very scarce free time to engage in discussions that where not really going anywhere....so I left that GT forum to those who can/want to discuss like that, and i'm still here, at the classics & indie projects forums. Please consider doing the same!

Subsim.com is still the best naval web around and a good part of that is owed to people like you...after all the Gt forum is in fact just purely accesory to subsim.com.
Old 09-02-06, 03:30 AM   #14
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Visiting subsim does give one a vague idea of what it must have been like to come back to the states from Vietnam.
Old 09-14-11, 09:18 PM   #15
green_abobo
Sparky

Downloads: 50

although i dont know you, i do wish you god speed and good luck on your future endevours.

in all likelyhood, its true WWII had to be fought. other than that...

i find it ironic that poiliticians start wars in which they deem the when, who, and where to fight them, as long as it doesnt actually involve those same politicians to do the actual dying.

thats what aggrivates me the most about politics.

green_abobo is offline   Reply With Quote