SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-22, 07:36 PM   #1
Balladeer
Seaman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default How to remove pinup posters?

Hey folks. I'm trying to get a modded copy of SHIII together for my nephew. Its the Onealex GWX mod. While messing around with the navigation tutorial to try and remind myself of some of the sim's basic controls I popped on over to the radioman station. There's obviously a mod-based pinup poster on the wall.

How can I remove this poster or replace it with another one? I don't see any poster mods listed in the modded SHIII's JSGME mod list so I figure its part of GWX or something and the file is elsewhere. Is it possible to remove it or replace it? I don't want to place a stumbling block in front of a teenage boy. I'd like to remove it altogether or replace it with some other vintage wartime poster if possible. Thanks for any suggestions.
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 08:23 PM   #2
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

I'm not absolutely sure this will work, but try this:

Go to data/textures/TNormal/tex

Delete the following files:

druck_radio_7
druck_radio_9
druck_radio_21

IIRC, the default is a poster of Dönitz.

If that doesn't work, look for the "Dönitz Fly" mod or some such.

Ultimately, those files are where the poster is located for any mod. The originals are located in data/textures/TLowRes/tex.

Cheers.

Update:

Go here.

Download one (or all) of the propaganda files. Use what you want from there. They are easily portable to the druck_radio_9 and druck_radio_21 files.

Last edited by rudewarrior; 06-18-22 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Posted link to Tikigod's posters.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 09:48 PM   #3
Balladeer
Seaman

Rudewarrior, thank you for the information. I checked the "TNormal" folder and those three druck_radio.tga files are not present. However they are inside the "TLowRes" folder.

I'm not quite sure what to do. If I copy and paste the three tga files that are in "TLowRes" and place them in the "TNormal" folder will they reset to default images?
Old 06-18-22, 10:03 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Balladeer! after a 6 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 05:48 AM   #5
Balladeer
Seaman

Thanks for the welcome back. I usually poke in from time to time. I usually berth over at SimHQ.

For the heck of it I tried copying and pasting druck_radio_7,9,21 tga. files from TLowRes(that's the only folder I found those tga's you mentioned) and placed in the TNormal folder(which did not have those three files)and the pinup disappeared and seemed to be replaced by a stock German one. So I removed the three tga files once again from the Tnormal folder and checked the game and it reverted back to the mod's original pinup(which I'm trying to remove).

When I downloaded the propaganda poster mods, I found that they only include a druck_radio_7 tga. Not the other two. So I then picked a druck_radio_7 from the propaganda poster mod and placed that in TNormal folder and the poster I picked did show up in the radio room, replacing the pinup. If druck_radio_7 replaces the poster slot I was looking for, what do the other two tga files do?(druck_radio_9,21)

Also, the druck_radio_7 tga that I placed in the TNormal folder, does that replace all poster slots for all the other subs? I don't want to miss any pinups by accident. Thanks again for the assistance.
Old 06-19-22, 07:41 AM   #6
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

So the short answer is that files in the TNormal folder will overwrite files in the TLowRes folder.

IIRC, and you can check this, the three files should actually be all the same, just with different names.

So you take druck_radio_7, copy it and rename it to druck_radio_9 and druck_radio_21, and they all should work. Just put them in TNormal. I'd say leave the ones in TLowRes to make sure that the overwriting files work. It will be easier to tell, because then you can tell if something is going wrong.

Ultimately, if you have some image editing software, like GIMP, you could open the file and put any poster in there you want. Just paste it fully in the slot where the poster is in the actual file. Depending on how editing software savvy you are, you could, for instance, put a pic of your nephew with a captain's hat on in there.

You can't really mess it up.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-22, 01:39 AM   #7
Balladeer
Seaman

What do each tga file represent within the sub radioman station? For example the propaganda mod posters only come with a single tga and its the one labeled druck_radio_7.tga which directly affected and changed the pinup poster position. What do the other two tga files change? If any are missing could that cause an issue if I only have the one tga file in the TNormal folder? I guess I'm asking are the other two necessary as the propaganda poster mod does not include them and my modded game as is stands does not even have them present in the TNormal folder, just the TLowRes contains those three tga files.

Last edited by Balladeer; 06-20-22 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 06:40 AM   #8
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
What do each tga file represent within the sub radioman station? For example the propaganda mod posters only come with a single tga and its the one labeled druck_radio_7.tga which directly affected and changed the pinup poster position. What do the other two tga files change?
The two other files, druck_radio_9 and druck_radio_21, are the files for the Type IX and Type XXI subs, respectively. If you don't have those there and he uses one of those two boats, you will have the wrong poster show up. That's why you need to just copy and rename druck_radio_7. Basically, when calling the poster, it looks for a particular set of coordinates inside that file and puts the picture in. The files are essentially the same for all three boats and are designed that way should individual call ups be necessary when working with files/mods. So having all three is necessary to call up the right poster for all three boats.

Quote:
On a side note, is anyone here familiar with the Onealex GWX mod that I'm using?
I don't use the Onealex mod, but I would suggest posting in that thread with any questions. Your particular issue is more likely to get seen there, and you are thus more likely to get a response. This is also the recommended way to seek answers in the forum.

Old 06-20-22, 07:45 PM   #9
Balladeer
Seaman

Thanks again so much for the help rudewarrior and all. Its much appreciated.

Last edited by Balladeer; 06-24-22 at 01:08 AM.