SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-10, 08:49 PM   #1
DenRJ
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Camera views

Hi

I just came back to Silent Hunter 4. Bought it a few years back, installed it, played a bit but could not get into it.
Now I just re-installed it with the U Boat missions add-on.
Couple of questions I haven't found a solution to:

1) The Mouse Wheel : does not zoom

2) I press the < > keys, this gives me a locked view of my boat. When I use the arrow key to zoom in I only get within a fixed distance of
the boat. Too far.

I found a thread about the First/third person view camera mod v1.0 by serbuto. But I can't find any files ????

Have been looking all over the forums but no joy.

Thanks
DenRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 04:06 AM   #2
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Greetings Den, welcome abroad.
I see your issue hasn't been addressed yet. I'm going to give it a go but, your questions seem a tad ambiguous to me.
It seems you have an issue with the mouse wheel since you say it does not zoom. If I may ask, does not zoom on what?
I'm not certain of what you mean when you refer to a "locked zoom" but I'll guess you are referring to the external cam? Or, are you referring to the interior of the sub?
I'm not aware of any first/third person camera mod, that doesn't mean it does not exist but, the only one I know of is Webster's Free Camera & Scope Fix:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=471

I must admit, I found your questions (well, you didn't really ask a specific question) to be a little confusing or vague. If you could be a little more specific, I'm sure it would help the forum members to give you the correct advice.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 10:08 AM   #3
DenRJ
Swabbie

Thank you Wernher. Sorry for being vague. Let me try to be a little clearer

First about the Mouse Wheel. I am using it with other games and its working. But in Silent Hunter Wolfes of the Pacific with the
U-Boat add-on, version 1.5 it's not working.

Secondly when I press the , . keys(previous and next unit) this will cycle my sub and the other ships if any. At this point if I use
the Mouse Wheel nothing happens. No zoom. On the other hand if I use the Cursor Up key the view will come closer to the sub but will stop
at a fixed distance from the sub. The range for the cursor Up and cursor Down key is fixed. I can't get any closer to the sub.
Surprisingly when I am under water the Cursor Up key will get closer to the sub but will stop at a fixed distance again.
Hope this is clearer
I have come to the conclusion, that it's working that way in the stock game. If I want to change anything I will have to use a Mod.
Nevertheless I am quite happy with the game. Truly a wonderful program. Will be playing for some time to come for sure. When I get tired
of it will try the supermod Operation Monsun (OM).

Again thanks for your help.

Den
Old 11-15-10, 03:07 PM   #4
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

If you want to zoom in closer to the sub, see the Camera mod link in my sig below.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 05:17 PM   #5
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

OK DenRJ, so it seems you're speaking of the external cam, especially when viewing the next object/ship and so on. If that's the case, SHIV doesn't zoom in using the mouse wheel on those screens. You must use the forward and back arrows to zoom in/out. As a matter of fact, The mouse wheel only works as a zoom tool on the map page and the periscope. You can also use the mouse wheel to access the binoculars while on deck. The cursor keys, while viewing ships w/external cams, serves in the pan/tilt function. Yeah, use the arrow keys to zoom in/out.
BTW, thanks for the link Fred. Just added it to my SHIV/Favorites folder.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 11:55 AM   #6
DenRJ
Swabbie

Thanks for the camera mod link. Will look into it.