SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-22, 02:45 PM   #1
QuantumTyphoon
Swabbie

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Icon1 I want to build my own submarine any idea how?

I have my open water diver certificate and I have not dived more than 120 feet. I'd like to explore depths exceeding 300 feet without nitrogen narcosis or dive bells. I'd like a crush depth of 600ft no less preferably. Either towed (battery) or battery and diesel no preference. I have no need for periscopes. Sonar would be handy for detecting boats and fish and the bottom. A couple view ports would be nice, one on the top and one near the bottom. Capability of attaching external camera's in their own pressure safe compartments.

For the technical stuff what do I need to learn? I can't imagine that simple plumbing knowledge will help much, or home depot will provide me with anything I need to acquire for the project. Who should I ask for help? I need to find out how to build ballasts. pumps that don't freeze when in cold water and at depth. The deeper you go the colder it gets right? I'd like the capacity of the boat for 2 people maximum. How do I go about sourcing the components I need to build the submarine? I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. So I'm not near any ports where I could just walk in and start asking questions.

Am I right in thinking along this train of thought ?

Will my submarine have a keel to keep it from rolling in rough sea's like ww2 military submarines had. Would adding a keel compromise the maximum depth, both in cost and strength. I need a coning tower to keep water out of the top hatch? How do I shape the metal? I can't do that myself I have to get a manufacturer to do that for me ? Should I ask a tank maker to make me a tank. But how would I calculate the variables when cutting holes for pipes example: ballast tanks, pipes, propeller shaft, etc. After cutting a hole in a tank or some other pressure capsule how do I reinforce the hole from the inside and the outside? Could I make one with a budget of $60,000 Canadian?

Mod: I don't know where else to ask this question. And I did some searches but I didn't find any info, except for toy models and such.
QuantumTyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 03:13 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I found this page, when i searched for mini Submarine selling.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/submarine_blueprint
and this page
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/submarine-blueprint

Wouldn't it be better with a diving bell

I guess it would be easier to build such a thing like a Diving bell.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 12:40 AM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

You could become pen pals with a certain Danish prisoner.

...or this kid
Old 07-16-22, 06:24 AM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
You could become pen pals with a certain Danish prisoner.

...or this kid
What I wrote was wrong-So I erased it.

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 07-16-22 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 10:32 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

You could build a submarine for $60,000, I'm sure most of the narco "subs" cost less than that. But keep in mind, there's very little margin for error with negative buoyancy craft. One thing goes wrong and your dead.
Old 07-16-22, 01:49 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
You could build a submarine for $60,000, I'm sure most of the narco "subs" cost less than that. But keep in mind, there's very little margin for error with negative buoyancy craft. One thing goes wrong and your dead.
QFT

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 05:52 PM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Ditto. I have no idea how they calculate crush depth? I guess you can only dive as deep as your weakest point? You get a low quality part, install it wrong, or bad engineering....
Old 07-16-22, 06:16 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

It would be easier to build some sort of a Diving bell-here he has multiple choices-From fully closed to fully open.

Here it is the thickness of the material-most likely steel which decide how deep he can go.

Markus

Old 07-16-22, 07:26 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-22, 10:44 AM   #10
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

I don't think those NARCO subs are truly submarines, instead I think they're designed to travel just below the surface with a tiny cockpit sticking out of the water. A much easier craft to construct I'd say than a true submarine.

Quote:
Can narco subs go underwater?
Image result for narco subs not true submarines
Virtually all narco submarines interdicted at sea have been more correctly termed low-profile vessels (LPVs). Also known as semi-submersibles, these are craft designed to run exceptionally low in the water to avoid detection. But they cannot fully submerge.Nov 16, 2020
I wonder if George Soros has a mega yacht? hmmm

Last edited by em2nought; 07-17-22 at 11:01 AM. Reason: torpedo musings
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-22, 11:36 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
I don't think those NARCO subs are truly submarines, instead I think they're designed to travel just below the surface with a tiny cockpit sticking out of the water. A much easier craft to construct I'd say than a true submarine.

I wonder if George Soros has a mega yacht? hmmm
NOT ANYMORE: http://www.hisutton.com/Fully-Submer...-Apr-2022.html
Quote:
'Arauca River Monster' Just when our eyes are fixed on the Ukraine War, a narco submarine surfaces on the other side of the world. It’s been relatively quiet on the Narcosub front these past few months. But the one found last week in Venezuela is one of the most significant developments for some time.

A narco submarine discovered on the Arauca River is unusual and significant in 3 ways:

Firstly, it is a fully submersible vessel (FSV), which is unusual in itself. These can submerge like a navy submarine, although only to shallow depths.
This is the first time a FSV has been caught ‘in the act’. Normally they are found while still under construction. Unlike their semi-submersible brethren (low profile vessels -LPV), none have been interdicted at sea.

It was found on an inland river sailing between Colombia and Venezuela. This may indicate a variation on the known transatlantic smuggling route.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 07:42 PM   #12
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Its all fun and games til someone decides to build his own DE...

<O>
Old 07-19-22, 03:22 PM   #13
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Just don't invite a lady journalist onboard.......
Old 07-19-22, 08:06 PM   #14
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Just don't invite a lady journalist onboard.......
but if you do, might I suggest:

Old 07-19-22, 11:24 PM   #15
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
but if you do, might I suggest:

...or the cast of the View?

On a serious note, if I had a boat load of cash, I'd try and build Simon Lakes' "Protector".