SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-23, 09:35 PM   #166
strykerpsg
Loader

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

I know they have competing personnel issues moving over to Sea Power, but it's been 2 months since a statement of "soon" was stated. Any chance to get a more accurate update?

Admittedly, DotMod is my fix till Sea Power is released. However, you (DotMod developer) bring some fantastic updates to Cold Waters and you've spoiled many of us, so thank you for your vision, energy and efforts in keeping Cold Waters thriving.
strykerpsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 11:47 PM   #167
strykerpsg
Loader

I'm hoping, since there's a lack of replies, it's an indicator of Sea Power releasing even sooner.

However, it would indeed be great if there were still impending updates to this fantastic mod.....Bueller!
Old 06-18-23, 12:39 PM   #168
strykerpsg
Loader

Wow! Anyone have any updates, at all? I cannot log onto Discord, for some strange reason, so apologies in advance for that.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 08-19-23, 06:46 PM   #169
Davidtman
Mate

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
Wow! Anyone have any updates, at all? I cannot log onto Discord, for some strange reason, so apologies in advance for that.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
According to the devs, over half their team has been recruited (hired?) to work on SeaPower. So work on the latest update is very very slow. Not eta on the release has been provided.
Davidtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-23, 02:36 AM   #170
strykerpsg
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidtman View Post
According to the devs, over half their team has been recruited (hired?) to work on SeaPower. So work on the latest update is very very slow. Not eta on the release has been provided.
Thanks for an update. I have uninstalled for needed HD space. If an update comes out, I will gladly reinstall to apply.

Definitely looking forward to SeaPower when it releases.
Old 09-22-23, 03:57 PM   #171
Vakur Iceland
Nub

Downloads: 3
Default Cold Waters Ballistic missiles for Typhoon and Delta III and IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebar View Post
https://github.com/DotModGroup/ColdW...tag/v0.3a-beta

As a Christmas gift too you all, (and as a matter of coincidence), 0.3a is now available for download! We've added a number of new models, fixed some nasty bugs, fixed the English localization for 1984 USSR, and even added some Christmas spirit on the load screen!

To install this variant properly you will need to delete the previous version of the dotmod folder!

Special thanks for 0.3a to our new little group of Beta Testers: Cmdr SCF_01, General_Dave_1, Mapashelas, RedFor best for, trenchgun91, and 🌸杏奈女帝🇯🇵

Models
  • (New) Ticonderoga-class CG by ElectricBoat, customised by TheHappyYachter and with textures by Kevin DDSSTT (Team effort!)
  • (New) Type 42/City-class DDG by TheHappyYachter with textures by Kevin DDSSTT
  • (New) Gearing-class DD by TheHappyYachter with textures by Kevin DDSSTT
  • (New) RUM-139 by TheHappyYachter with textures by Kevin DDSSTT
  • (New) Sea Dart by TheHappyYachter
  • (Fix) New textures for the Virginia-class by Kevin DDSSTT
  • (Fix) Ohio-class texture resolution

Data
  • (Fix) Added new vessels to Campaigns
  • (Fix) Merged USSR Campaigns
  • (Fix) Yandex auto translations of Russian Language Campaign (Anglicisation in progress)
  • (Fix) Some additional Russian Translations of English
  • (Fix) Campaign data for Campaign 2 and 4
  • (Fix) Standard Missile Variants for Ticonderogas and ex-Terrier vessels
  • (Fix) Tweaked some vessel noise values
  • (Fix) Correct vessel variants in campaigns
  • (Fix) Loadout issues in some subs

UI
  • (New) New sprites for Weapons by SteelShark
  • (New) Delta III DC Image by SteelShark
  • (New) Ohio DC Image by SteelShark
  • (New) Addon Management UI
  • (New) Ship profiles for Virginia, T21, and T42 by SteelShark

Code
  • (New) Additional Debug Information
  • (New) Sorting of Vessels Implemented
  • (New) Sorting of Weapons Implemented
  • (New) Weapons.txt file deprecated and removed
  • (New) Allow multiple sensor description files
  • (New) Allow multiple sensor files
  • (New) Allow definition of Hull Prefixes through text files
  • (New) Support of ingame addon management
  • (New) Tracer for CIWS can be adjusted and Audio Clip can be changed
  • (New) Noisemaker logic and values
  • (New) Removed vessel list
  • (Fix) Player RBU Bugs fixed
  • (Fix) Rationalised some Error codes
  • (Fix) Applied Christmas Spirit (and Christmas Spirits for those of drinking age)
  • (Fix) Bugfixes for missiles without all effect types
  • (Fix) Min speed for Towed Array reduced
  • (Fix) Enchanced Wake Homing torpedo behavior, fixed bug that could cause jamming of WH torpedoes
Greetings fellow Sub Sim players.

Here comes few words from little Iceland. You know the cold Iceland in the North Atlantic where submarines pass often near the GIUK line

I have been interested in submarines since young age, played Silent Service on my nintendo as the first sub sim then 688 Attack Sub, later enjoyed Silent Hunter III and V. I also like Fleet Command and there you are able to use subs from various nations.

So to the point.
I just recently discovered Cold Waters. What a nice game. Takes me back to 688 Attack sub but with great graphics, realistic crew voices and many other things. I discovered dotmode and it makes the game even better. Outstanding work!

I have one point to add.
You are able to play Russian submarines. Some of them are boomers like Yankee class, Delta III and Delta IV and the famous Typhoon class, which the film "The Hunt for the Red October" uses as the main boat.

Question:
Using Yankee you are able to use Ballistic missiles. Why are you not able to do so on Delta III, IV and Typhoon?
You have these gigantic boomers but you can not use their main weapons?
So is there a plan to add this or? It would make the game more interesting and realistic.

I heard and seen on youtube that in epic mod you are able to use it but I have heard bad comments that it is less realistic.

Anyway hope to get some reply

Regards.
-Vakur Iceland

Vakur Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-23, 10:02 AM   #172
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

Vakur Iceland!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-23, 11:25 AM   #173
Vakur Iceland
Nub

Downloads: 3

Thank you!

Vakur Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-23, 09:41 PM   #174
strykerpsg
Loader

Seems this mod has gone DOA. It's a shame. I was really enjoying it.

However, if it means Sea Power is that much closer to release by not having enough support from designers, so be it.

Honestly, I think this should have gone the Patreon route. I would have paid to keep it alive.
Old 10-17-23, 10:14 AM   #175
R3dakted
Watch

Downloads: 63
Nuke

One great thing about Cold Waters w/dotmod is that it runs well on my tired old Linux laptop... and I REALLY appreciate that.

I hope that the new game is similarly well-optimised for poor people like me..

Silence is Golden
R3dakted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-23, 09:45 PM   #176
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
Seems this mod has gone DOA. It's a shame. I was really enjoying it.

However, if it means Sea Power is that much closer to release by not having enough support from designers, so be it.

Honestly, I think this should have gone the Patreon route. I would have paid to keep it alive.

Yeah, it's been a while now...

However, the mod is very good in its current state. Just two things I would have liked to see are a "drooping" towed array for the player's sub (i.e. sub above the layer with bow array listening while the towed array is below the layer - but maybe this is doable in the current architecture..?), and the player-controlled helos dropping sonobouys and dipping sonar.

Still, DotMod is extremely well crafted.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-23, 03:50 AM   #177
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

Dotmod is a great mod to the vanilla game, but I have the following issues:

1. Guns on Chinese surface combatants way out ranged either American and Russian counterparts in the South China Sea campaign. Regardless what caliber. Some 76mm can out range 120mm or 130mm guns.

2. There are so few campaigns especially in the modern age. You have all these beautiful models for modern warships such as Virginia class, but you cannot really use it in any of the campaigns.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-23, 03:39 PM   #178
Davidtman
Mate

Default A few updates to Dot Mod.

For everyone that has been waiting patiently, there are been a few exciting updates to Dot Mod. The devs have just released a new update that added a new 1984 campaign. They are still working on added new vessels and a new modern campaign. The devs have not provided an eta on v0.5 yet.

In addition, a separate team has been working hard on adding new subs and ships. A new 1962 campaign with several new subs have been added. Also, they are working on a new 1979 campaign which will add a few new vessels that bridge the technology gap between 1968 and 1984.

Here are the links:

https://github.com/DotModGroup/ColdW...tMod/tree/main
https://github.com/wellers/cold-waters-1962
https://github.com/wellers/usn-68-ss-tang
https://github.com/wellers/usn-73-ssn-seawolf
Davidtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-23, 01:45 PM   #179
grzegorz75jan
Nub

Downloads: 1

Hi.
Installing the previous and first version of DotMod.v0.4a-2b for me was trouble-free.
The current version of DotModv0.4b unfortunately causes a warning (probably wrong) and blocking by my AVG antivirus. Installation using the DotModInstaller.exe file causes a small black window to appear and disappear after a while. Manual installation causes errors.

Update.
A revised version will likely be available later today. Information from the official Discord.

Last edited by grzegorz75jan; 12-20-23 at 03:03 PM.
grzegorz75jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-23, 04:30 AM   #180
grzegorz75jan
Nub

Downloads: 1

Update available.
https://github.com/DotModGroup/ColdW...ases/tag/v0.4b

Quote:
@everyone
I apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that recompiling the installer program did what I worried it might -- trigger anti-malware suites. I knew this could happen, but usually it results in Windows Defender removing it the moment I finish compiling it. Since that didn't happen, I assumed it was fine, however it seems I was most sorely mistaken. This is my fault and I 100% should have done more testing to make sure that it wasn't utterly broken. I've uploaded a new version of the release with the old installer executable and the old version of the source code. Again, this is entirely my fault and I absolutely should've done more testing. If you've already installed v0.4b, then you don't need to do anything, since there's no change to the actual mod content. If you plan on doing a manual install when this gets to you, proceed as before. You only need to re-download if you attempted to use the installer and it didn't work/gave you an error from your anti-malware suite. Here's hoping the old executable doesn't do the same, in which case I'm in a world of pain.
Sorry, folks.
-- HobbitJack

For those curious, the problem comes with the compiler, Nuitka. Like its counterpart Pyinstaller, anti-malware suites tend to have a rather picky time with executables compiled with these two softwares. In the end, the reason for this is fairly simple: Anti-malware suites look, among heuristic data and calls to various OS commands, at patterns of source code within compiled executables. Since any malware compiled with Pyinstaller and Nuitka would have those softwares' 'signatures' within the file's data, it's an easy thing for malware definitions to pick up on. Unfortunately, it results in a fairly high false positive rate. The program can be compiled directly from the Python source of a completely legitimate program (such as, for example, the source code to the installer included in every download), and we'll still get flagged for it. I sincerely hope this incident, which entirely is my fault for not testing beyond checking whether Windows Defender removed the executable immediately after compiling like it did in the past, has not eroded your trust in me. Again, my sincerest apologies.
https://discord.com/channels/8240840...24680776613889
grzegorz75jan is offline   Reply With Quote