SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-23, 06:13 AM   #1
TORDO222
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 23

radar NUCLEAR MISSING LINK MOD

Historical context:

This mod attempts to revive the early years of the Cold War and the dawn of the use of nuclear power on surface ships and submarines on the American side. The United States Navy’s 4000-ton USS Nautilus was recognized as the world’s first operational-level nuclear submarine when commissioned in September 1954 powered by its S2W nuclear unit.Further work resulted in the remarkable USS Seawolf which came into operation in March 1957. Both ships were evolutionary steps in the US nuclear-powered submarine fleet program that began with the "Skate-Class",a strong group of four led by USS Skate (SSN-578) itself. These ships intended to find cheaper means for expensive and large underwater hunters.The group was developed under the banner of the USN program SCB-121. USS Skate was built by Electric Boat from July 1955 and was launched in May 1957. Formally commissioned into service in December 1957,the ship joined USS Swordfish (SSN-579) in September 1958, USS Sargo (SSN-582) in October 1958 and USS Seadragon (SSN-584) in December 1959.The overall focus of SCB-121 was to reduce the size and cost of operating/building types like Nautilus and Seawolf to acceptable levels, putting a focus on a smaller, slower vessel operating through a more compact nuclear unit. The design was set in a reworked Tang-class hull with the reactors in play becoming the S3W and S4W units.At the time of commissioning, the USS Skate became the third USN nuclear submarine in service. The ship led an operational life into 1986 before being recycled in March 1995. It was the first submarine to surface at the North Pole (March 17th,1959) and the first to traverse the Atlantic while submerged. It also did much to further/fine-tune USN’s submarine tactics and general operational deployment.

The American submarines included in this volume are:

USS SKATE (SSN-578)
USS SWORDFISH (SSN-579)
USS SARGO (SSN-582)
USS SEADRAGON (SSN-584)

AS ALWAYS, MAKE A PREVIOUS BACKUP OF ANY FILE THAT WILL BE REPLACED!!!.

As always, any difficulty or doubt or criticism will be received and processed accordingly.I hope you enjoy it without problems.Greetings!!!. Marcelo

LINK: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6324

PD: ADD SENSORS AND TEXTURES!!!. (Just in case....) https://www.mediafire.com/file/062fk...NSORS.rar/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o2va4...XTURE.rar/file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKATE SUPERF.jpg (16.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg MI SKATE COMBAT STBD.jpg (4.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SKATE PROFUN.jpg (7.5 KB, 18 views)
Order prior to the "Battle of Los Pozos" that took place on June 11,1826 in the Rio de La Plata,in front of the city of Buenos Aires, in an area of relative greater depth and to the view from the population. Was a combat between a flimsy Argentine Squadron and the powerfull Brazilian Empire Fleet.It was a victorious day for the Argentine navy.William Brown was the first Admiral of the newly formed Argentine Navy.Born in Ireland and argentine by adoption.A great patriot.

Last edited by TORDO222; 04-12-23 at 09:32 AM.
TORDO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-23, 06:57 PM   #2
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

Too bad I don't play Cold Waters... I would be all in to this mod.
The "Skate" class first generation nuke subs are best remembered for the ground breaking "firsts" in their extensive use in arctic research
that paved the way and broke ground and gained valuable insights and knowledge for the future of Arctic submarine activities of the US Navy.
Collectively know and remembered in the annals of US naval history as "The Arctic Warriors".

Its appropriate that the fictitious sub in the movie "Ice Station Zebra" the USS Tigerfish ,was a "Skate" class sub.. a fitting tribute and a lasting reminder that they "did it first".
Thanks for bringing them back to life for players of Cold Waters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th-514613702.jpg (33.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-17-23, 03:54 PM   #3
TORDO222
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus View Post
The "Skate" class first generation nuke subs are best remembered for the ground breaking "firsts" in their extensive use in arctic research
that paved the way and broke ground and gained valuable insights and knowledge for the future of Arctic submarine activities of the US Navy.
Collectively know and remembered in the annals of US naval history as "The Arctic Warriors".

Its appropriate that the fictitious sub in the movie "Ice Station Zebra" the USS Tigerfish ,was a "Skate" class sub.. a fitting tribute and a lasting reminder that they "did it first".
Hello!.I did it simply because I don’t like to leave "missing links" in the naval history of any country. And I didn’t think it was fair to leave out of CW-DotMod, the Guppies and the first American nuclear boats.Also I recommend you reading the excellent account of the USS Skate’s journey to the North Pole: "SURFACE AT THE NORTH POLE" - by Vice Adm. James CALVERT - here:https://archive.org/details/surfacea...p?view=theater). My Best Regards!.Marcelo
Order prior to the "Battle of Los Pozos" that took place on June 11,1826 in the Rio de La Plata,in front of the city of Buenos Aires, in an area of relative greater depth and to the view from the population. Was a combat between a flimsy Argentine Squadron and the powerfull Brazilian Empire Fleet.It was a victorious day for the Argentine navy.William Brown was the first Admiral of the newly formed Argentine Navy.Born in Ireland and argentine by adoption.A great patriot.
TORDO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 10:34 AM   #4
SpeedyPC
Officer

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus View Post

USS SKATE SSN is available at DotMod discord 1962 addon section just like the Ice Station Zebra movie, make sure you used the latest DotMod v0.4b first, before you apply the 1962 addon section using the JSGME enabler.

SpeedyPC is offline   Reply With Quote