Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-10, 03:12 PM   #1
Recrut Tsoul
Sailor man

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
How to run Silent Hunter 2 on Windows7

YOU MIGHT WANT TO MAKE THIS STICKY.....

The computer you have now might have a very newer version of Quicktime installed on it, so first goto control panel and uninstall Quicktime completely.

Next you must install Silent Hunter 2 to another directory, eg. create a folder on C: called Oldgames
C:\oldgames\SSI\Silent Hunter II
Why? Windows 7 Will not allow older games to modify files within Program Files.

Follow the rest of the install and when it asks you to install Quicktime 5 choose yes and also install it to your C:\oldgames\
Then NEVER UPDATE Quicktime

DONOT install that old version of Direct X if asked

Follow these steps to install Destroyer Command

Also right click on the Silent Hunter 2 shortcut icon and choose properties, then click the compatibility tab, then choose to run it as Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility

rcttsoul2@gmail.com

Last edited by Recrut Tsoul; 05-20-12 at 11:13 PM.
Recrut Tsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 01:16 PM   #2
danzeman
Nub

Downloads: 3

I just ordered a new laptop yesterday to replace my aging XP unit. The computer won't be sent out for a week or so but I wanted to look around and see if it would be possible to run Silent Hunter II on the new Win 7 ultimate 64 bit OS I am installing on the laptop. I still have the CD that I purchased for the old laptop and can reinstall it on the new one but I was wondering if there may be a newer version or update to this as this is really a 16 bit DOS program. When I ran it on my older dell laptop with XP the program drained the battery faster then anything else I had on the hard drive. I was hoping to be able to run it on the Windows 7 laptop much cooler. Any Ideas on this??

The new laptop is using the Intel i7 2820 CPU with a seprate nVidia 54o GPU. the laptop has a switch on it to turn off the GPU and only use the internal low power one in the i7 CPU. Since Silent Hunter is not a high graphics game, this should help. I am wondering if there is a better way or lower CPU usage way to run the software like a DOS Emulator. It seems that the XP version used a DOSX type program or emulator now there is going to be an emulator in Win 7 64 bit to run the other DOSX emulator to run the software. I was hoping there was a way to skip that step and save on intense CPU activity to help with battery life.

Thanks
danzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:34 AM   #3
danzeman
Nub

Downloads: 3
Default insal on window7 ultimute sp1

I had no difficulty installing the Silent hunter software on my new laptop with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit SP1. The only problem I had was the new laptop has a switch to change between the I72820's internal GPU and the nVidea GPU. The internal GPU of the I7 CPU will use less power and since the game really does not need a lot I want to make the battery last as long as I can.

Instead of installing the copy I have since 2001, I bought a new copy that is packaged together with SH3. Both are being sold together as a package for $10. The fools, they no not the wealth they hold. If only they released a version for the Ipad or android tablet then they would see great profits. Next I am going to work on the installation on my linux netbook. this is going to really be a challenge. It looks like no one has been successful with this yet.

Last edited by danzeman; 10-31-15 at 07:23 PM.
danzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 09:00 PM   #4
sgl44
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

trying to play on windows 7 but keep getting this error

Error -1 [m_pText == 0]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
C:\Devel\SH2\Sim\Sources\CMsgLog.cpp
Line 163
any ideas of what i need to do?
thanks
sgl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 11:27 PM   #5
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

My reaction would be to update DirectX. There is probably some obscure, old DLL missing that the update would replace. I have it on my Win 7 machine and I have no problems.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 11:35 AM   #6
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Install the game and get the 1.1 patch and Projekt Messerwetzer
Old 08-22-13, 09:47 AM   #7
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Thank you RECRUT TSOUL, that was very helpful.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-13, 02:31 PM   #8
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

I had no problem installing SH II - Pacific Aces on Win7 Pro - as 'Red October1984' said using the 1.1 patch and Projekt Messerwetzer to avoid Janus errors. Also installed Kriegstanz no problem.

Same save game issues (or a very long session hard coded) but fun to go back to this great classic from time to time.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote