SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-22, 04:10 AM   #31
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Wanting to build a sub able to dive to 200 meters, and speaking about how easy it is to build a narco sub.

With 200 meters/600 feet crush depth a pressure hull would have to be made of thick special alloy steel, probably with internal braces. Portholes as well as all openings in the hull for pumping water or propshaft seals are weak spots and should be avoided or kept to a minimum.
May consider to make the boat lighter than water, probably with some exterior ballast weight that can be dropped without using pumps in an emergency.
Pumps able to empty ballast tanks under 200m pressure will have to be special ones, should also be capable of more due to clogging, unintended greater depth etc.
Salt and fresh water have different density and viscosity. Consider silt or floating stuff entering the pump intakes and so on. Pumps fail all the time.
Leaving the boat at more than 30 meters without diving suit will probably kill you.

You did not specify salt or sweet water, speed, loading of batteries and a hundred other things. But my chrystal ball tells me that you cannot be that old, at least your reaction is childish b.t.w.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-22, 06:12 AM   #32
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ I knew there are thousands of things you have to take into account when constructing a sub and especially if you want to take it below 200 m.

My best advice would be that he contact some submarine constructor they know what is needed-If he has the money for it.

This is why I said it would be better with a diving bell-Easier to build and doesn't cost so much and due to it's form it can withstand high pressure on all side which mean he can go down to and perhaps below 200 m.
(Here I'm thinking on a all closed bell)

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 07:46 AM   #33
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
As a certified diver & joker in my own right, entering my second childhood at age 71, it took me 5 minutes to come up with the two posts regarding self-built submersibles, incl. the fully-submersible 'narco sub (my choice) an FSV with big easy chair which is what most of us Pandemic shut-in misanthropes sit in all day; politely responding to rude morons like yourself. Go take a happy pill, and at least have the guts to apologise for being downright rude.

Certified Joker ? That's a complete understatement. I purchased a Camaro with a T roof that was in decent shape. That is until the engine spun a main bearing because the previous owners didn't know that you should change the oil " Once in a while ". I found another engine that will require a rebuild. A builder I know that builds race engines will be doing the honors of rebuilding it. My lady asked me why I wanted the car in the first place and I politely responded, When my midlife crisis happens, I want to be completely ready.

She Rolled her eyes and told me that will never happen. She told me that to have a midlife crisis, I would have had to grow up in the first place. Maybe one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumTyphoon View Post
from a website dedicated to submarines I was expecting more. Ironically I did find information indirectly through this website and others from modders who don't mod anymore.biblio.org/ and the hsna.org has a lot of information that explains what I need to design a submarine and build one. Maybe I should leave it be. But how are you guys so stupid???? Your like 10 year old children. No that's insulting to ten year old children. Your like 6 year old children. You scoop up some links anyone could get in under 2 minutes. In the silent hunter 3 manual it states that the allies had invented 2cm radar which could detect any snorkel or periscope that was higher then 2cm.

That was the end of the 1940's. The whole drug boats with snorkels is either made up or they're made by peasants with the most basic knowledge. For years the only way for the Russians to get close to American soil was by keeping submerged. But now evidently someone with a budget of ford mustang can get past the anti submarine forces of the U.S Navy. Yeah right. This forum had turned into a joke. Bye bye jokers.
This website is dedicated to those with an interest in just about anything with a nautical theme, especially submarines. A great number here at Subsim have extensive military, technical and university backgrounds. Even without some of those things, I have found them to be an intelligent bunch with diverse interests and backgrounds from astronomy to mechanics and everything in between. From what I know of some of our members and their experiences and education, I would " stack " them up against anyone in the world.

With the happenings in the world right now, it might be helpful for you to develop a sense of humor. You might live longer and not be so stressed out and risk offending those around you. Most here have a sense of humor. Try it, you might like it.

You act as though people here build submarines all day. Perhaps some do in their respective jobs and positions but they would never tell you that. Have you heard of the term, " Silent Service ? " I know some here at Subsim have served on Submarines, both nuclear and diesel.

Please tell me you're not so naive as to believe that anyone with a military back ground with A technical perspective that includes building submarines is going to share that with someone with the mentality of a temperamental child or anyone else for that matter. Do yourself and everyone else around you a favor and grow up.

By the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumTyphoon View Post
from a website dedicated to submarines I was expecting more.Your like 10 year old children. No that's insulting to ten year old children. Your like 6 year old children. You scoop up some links anyone could get in under 2 minutes.
Quote : Your like 10 year old children. Your like 6 year old children.

The proper grammar is You're like a ten or 6 year old, not your. You're is a contraction of you are.

I think you should go back to school and take a refresher course. If you have gone to college or somewhere else, get your money back. It didn't help.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote