Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-22, 01:22 PM   #1
Mike76
Watch

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default Command Aces of the Deep and Windows 10

Hi guys

forgive me please if this has already been answered, and I presume it has. Instead of digging around, I thought I'd just ask, as it'd be quicker.

Is Command Aces of the Deep compatible with Windows 10? Thanks for any help.

Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 12:21 PM   #2
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Hi Mike76! Not compatible as such. It is technically possible to run, but painful to set up. The best solution is to use VMware workstation, and a Windows 98 or XP install. There are ready to use Win98 Vmware installs on the internet archive. You can even run Windows 95 in VMware for 100% compatibility with COAD.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 09:26 AM   #3
Mike76
Watch

OK, thank you, Andreas86. It sounds like it's possible. However, I think I can also try Aces of the Deep (Not Command Aces of the Deep) which I think a person can run on DOSBox. Games on DOSbox run fine for me.

I don't think there is much difference between the two as far as gameplay goes. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 08-12-22, 11:08 AM   #4
Andreas86
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
OK, thank you, Andreas86. It sounds like it's possible. However, I think I can also try Aces of the Deep (Not Command Aces of the Deep) which I think a person can run on DOSBox. Games on DOSbox run fine for me.

I don't think there is much difference between the two as far as gameplay goes. Thanks again for the advice!
My pleasure. Yes, the DOS version of Aces of the Deep runs perfect in DOSBox. Gameplay is the same. And if anything, it is superior to the Command version, which is buggy and prone to crashing. Honestly, the Windows 95 "Command" edition was a very cheap and quick cash-in in my opinion, very little was improved, except for running in Windows, slightly better resolution, deck gun and the possibility of using voice recognition (which was also hard to get to work as advertised). Go with the DOS version, and check out the graphic mod thread in this forum if you want, as most graphic elements have been improved.
Old 08-14-22, 04:19 PM   #5
Mike76
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas86 View Post
My pleasure. Yes, the DOS version of Aces of the Deep runs perfect in DOSBox. Gameplay is the same. And if anything, it is superior to the Command version, which is buggy and prone to crashing. Honestly, the Windows 95 "Command" edition was a very cheap and quick cash-in in my opinion, very little was improved, except for running in Windows, slightly better resolution, deck gun and the possibility of using voice recognition (which was also hard to get to work as advertised). Go with the DOS version, and check out the graphic mod thread in this forum if you want, as most graphic elements have been improved.
I am not sure why you mentioned deck gun, Andreas86. I found the AOTD manuel online and it mentions that deck guns are included.

AOTD Manual:
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Documents/...p_-_Manual.pdf

I downloaded your graphics mod 1.5 and it looks very nice! I think I will give good ol' AOTD a try.

Last edited by Mike76; 08-14-22 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 05:18 PM   #6
Andreas86
Engineer

True, but in Command: AOTD you can control the gun yourself, whereas in DOS AOTD the deck gun is simulated - only crew operated.

Have fun with Aces of the Deep!