Old 05-30-22, 08:08 AM   #151
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
What does 'ND' stand for here?

If it's 'neurodivergent', I'm autistic and I've been properly trained in how to handle a firearm and used one on multiple occasions. Never had any urge to go and shoot up a school.

I think the best solution is to have a gun license test - like we have for cars, aircraft, boats, working with minors, etc. etc. - that anyone can apply for and pass if they prove to be responsible and sane. Anyone who doesn't pass can then pursue legal action against the government if they feel they were discriminated against for their political beliefs, ethnicity, etc.
Imagine having to prove your responsible and sane to a govt entity or psychologist that would likely hold bias against against you having a gun regardless. Like most things the govt would turn it into a big money making venture. In many strict Dem states the cost for application, fingerprinting, license, etc can already go over a $1000 which is one reason people just buy off the street, it's the only way they can afford to have a gun. 99% of the mentally ill don't go around shooting people. Looking at several recent mass shootings most had long rap sheets of violent charges and usually several illegal gun charges. Take the Sacramento shooters, two suspects with a long violent history that only served half of their time thanks to Cali voting in laws that made it easier for felons to get out of jail.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 10:41 AM   #152
Xerxes
Eejit's Mate Second Class

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
ND stands for negligent discharge which usually occurs when a loaded firearm is mishandled.

In the state I currently reside in, a safety certificate is required before buying a weapon, and is only good for 5 years and I am completely against this as it is a permit, and I should not have to acquire a permit to exercise a right granted by the Constitution.

North Carolina has a pistol purchase permit, and not only is it onerous, but you used to have to get character witnesses, and if the witnesses failed a background check, you'd be denied your permit.

Most folks get a CCL, so they can forgo the whole process.
Old 05-30-22, 11:44 AM   #153
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

https://constitutioncenter.org/image...CNN_Aug_11.pdf

I would ask how does one determine well disciplined now?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 09:39 PM   #154
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
https://constitutioncenter.org/image...CNN_Aug_11.pdf

I would ask how does one determine well disciplined now?

Efficacy in combat and drills, they can listen to superiors.

Also, militias would also form privately, and offer their service in times of war.
Old 05-30-22, 11:31 PM   #155
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Efficacy in combat and drills, they can listen to superiors.

Also, militias would also form privately, and offer their service in times of war.
For the militia that applies but how is that measured with private ownership? Also, the PDF I posted indicates the the state creates the militia but isn't responsible for it's readiness. I'm not taking a position here, just throwing it out for discussion.

David Bowie

Last edited by Buddahaid; 05-31-22 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 11:47 PM   #156
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:

Aka mercenaries.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 02:09 AM   #157
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Militias subordinate to the command of POTUS. Else they are just a gang of armed dudes. Declaring oneself a militia alone is not enough to qualify as one. Some legal experts even argue a militia must get called up by POTUS.
Old 05-31-22, 03:30 AM   #158
Buddahaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Militias subordinate to the command of POTUS. Else they are just a gang of armed dudes. Declaring oneself a militia alone is not enough to qualify as one. Some legal experts even argue a militia must get called up by POTUS.
Isn't that what was happening on Jan 6th? The PDF says the militias are organized by the state, not the federal government, so not at the whim of the POTUS. No Hail, Caesar.

David Bowie
Old 05-31-22, 06:38 AM   #159
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Now that I think of it I must admit that I am not certain anymore that my memory hasnt fooled me. I forgot whether it is the governor of a state or the POTUS who alone can legitimise a militia to be actually a "militia" by calling it up and that militia then following governor's/POTUS' direct military command. I think I was wrong, I think it was the state governor, not the POTUS.

However, the core message is the same: just a gang of armed people calling themselves a militia does not make them one - they just remain to be not more than a random gang of armed people giving themselves a bombastic name.
Old 05-31-22, 07:25 AM   #160
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

"It's my right!", cried the Republican gun owner who didn't and doesn't hesitate for even a microsecond when it comes to curbing the rights of women, LGBT people, voters in predominantly democratic voting areas and many others.
Old 05-31-22, 08:07 AM   #161
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
For the militia that applies but how is that measured with private ownership? Also, the PDF I posted indicates the the state creates the militia but isn't responsible for it's readiness. I'm not taking a position here, just throwing it out for discussion.

It wasn't per se private ownership, but a group of guys throw in funds and choose a commander. Readiness would be to the standard of the commanding officer, and in times of war, to the standards of the government, who gets to choose whether or not to accept said militia under it's command.

That being said, we're not supposed to have a standing army.
The militia was intended to be the people at large:

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers." - George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves. They include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike how to use them." Richard Henry Lee

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." Source: Federalist No. 48, February 1, 1788

Now, it's a mix between people willing to fight, and offering their services, and people being organized by the town/state.

Last edited by Xerxes; 05-31-22 at 08:18 AM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 08:09 AM   #162
Xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostfriese View Post
"It's my right!", cried the Republican gun owner who didn't and doesn't hesitate for even a microsecond when it comes to curbing the rights of women, LGBT people, voters in predominantly democratic voting areas and many others.

Are you talking about gerrymandering?

If so, look at jersey's redistricting, as well as Illinois's redistricting. Both are horrible gerrymanders.

I'm not denying that the scumbags RUNNING the party don't gerrymander, but stop making rude and divisive blanket statements about the voter base.
Old 05-31-22, 08:26 AM   #163
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Are you talking about gerrymandering?

If so, look at jersey's redistricting, as well as Illinois's redistricting. Both are horrible gerrymanders.

I'm not denying that the scumbags RUNNING the party don't gerrymander, but stop making rude and divisive blanket statements about the voter base.

I didn't explicitly mentioning gerrymandering. And "he started it" has never ever been a good argument.
Old 05-31-22, 08:36 AM   #164
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
It wasn't per se private ownership, but a group of guys throw in funds and choose a commander. Readiness would be to the standard of the commanding officer, and in times of war, to the standards of the government, who gets to choose whether or not to accept said militia under it's command.

That being said, we're not supposed to have a standing army.
The militia was intended to be the people at large:

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers." - George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves. They include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike how to use them." Richard Henry Lee

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." Source: Federalist No. 48, February 1, 1788

Now, it's a mix between people willing to fight, and offering their services, and people being organized by the town/state.

Those are ideas from the 18th century, they are effing 230 years old, from a time, when handheld guns were still muzzleloaders, before the steam age.
Old 05-31-22, 01:00 PM   #165
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Having a proficient militia is just one reason for the peoples right to keep and bear arms but it is not the only reason. In any case the people do not need to supply reasons for rights that are endowed to them by their creator. Especially rights acknowledged by their own constitution as not to be infringed upon.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shooter