SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-22, 11:27 AM   #4786
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
maybe i should change my title from Ocean Warrior to something like yours:

Finding holes....it's not just a job.

Holy molies!!! it's pun-tastic KM!!! (Half of which we cannot share in polite society.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I often experience the double cursor(gold and white) glitch.It's not much a problem but frustrating.
That can happen when "shelling-out" to Windows, either by use of the <Windows> key combo, <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab> combos, or just from Windows itself initiating it, for a pop-up notification ("There is an upgrade available for Brand X to download!!!"), or any one of a number of ways Windows can and does interfere with our gaming lives... Avoid shelling-out, and when it does happen and you get a graphic or audio anomaly, Save the game, exit to the desktop, re-start the game, and Load the Save file. All should be back to as near normal as is SH4-possible... maybe.

Now - has anyone attempted to use the Argonaut, and if so, what dates and locations, and what kind of a torpedo load-out did you get with it AFTER departing on patrol? During testing the last few days, the boat keeps getting G7a-TI torps in the tubes, but only ~after~ leaving on patrol. When in the office, all is well with the boat. They do function (seemingly) like the Mark 14, but it is an incorrect load-out... The big question of course is "Why?"... The investigation continues.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-23-22 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Ratz... we turned the page - added Quotes...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 03:22 PM   #4787
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
I often experience the double cursor(gold and white) glitch.It's not much a problem but frustrating.

I get this as well in TMO as of late and I never shell out to windows, etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 04:54 PM   #4788
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Holy molies!!! it's pun-tastic KM!!! (Half of which we cannot share in polite society.)
got there in one, did you?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 05:26 PM   #4789
nionios
Soundman

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your replies.I know about shelling out to windows and alt-tab so I avoid it.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 05:54 PM   #4790
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.I know about shelling out to windows and alt-tab so I avoid it.
When you get that glitch then, does Saving, exiting, re-starting and loading the save help? What boat were you driving at the time, and how much TC had you been using, because it can eventually lead to that also.

CapnScurvy had TC limited to 2048 for a while, with a recommendation to not exceed 1024x, but really, it is computer and situationally dependent. If you never run into a high-traffic area nor receive any radio messages, then 8096x does seem to be fine, but encounter anything at a high TC and that can introduce graphic and audio glitches also. Cause is unknown for certain, but our suspicions are on a game bandwidth issue versus your computer.

Amazingly, I have a WinXP32 machine here with 8gig of RAM, and used some of the Windows Boot.ini changes, and the game really does run better there than in Win10, and Win7 both. Not by much, because I cannot get as big of a memory assignment in XP as opposed to Win7/10, but the XP does have fewer system "interruptions" than expecially Win10, but also Win7. Another "trick" a person can try was suggested by mazzi a while back, and that was to use SH Validator and have it set the Registry Path to point to your SH4 game install. You can also try the "manual" technique of doing that, as documented in the "AddToWindowsPath.pdf" in the Support / HowTo folder of the FotRSU mod. That seems to help Windows "find" the game after it goes off wandering about your computer's internals, gathering data on this that and the other...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 12:53 AM   #4791
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
When you get that glitch then, does Saving, exiting, re-starting and loading the save help? What boat were you driving at the time, and how much TC had you been using, because it can eventually lead to that also.

CapnScurvy had TC limited to 2048 for a while, with a recommendation to not exceed 1024x, but really, it is computer and situationally dependent. If you never run into a high-traffic area nor receive any radio messages, then 8096x does seem to be fine, but encounter anything at a high TC and that can introduce graphic and audio glitches also. Cause is unknown for certain, but our suspicions are on a game bandwidth issue versus your computer.

Amazingly, I have a WinXP32 machine here with 8gig of RAM, and used some of the Windows Boot.ini changes, and the game really does run better there than in Win10, and Win7 both. Not by much, because I cannot get as big of a memory assignment in XP as opposed to Win7/10, but the XP does have fewer system "interruptions" than expecially Win10, but also Win7. Another "trick" a person can try was suggested by mazzi a while back, and that was to use SH Validator and have it set the Registry Path to point to your SH4 game install. You can also try the "manual" technique of doing that, as documented in the "AddToWindowsPath.pdf" in the Support / HowTo folder of the FotRSU mod. That seems to help Windows "find" the game after it goes off wandering about your computer's internals, gathering data on this that and the other...

I get this glitch in TMO, FOTRS, and DW.

I do not exceed 512 tc, I never shell out to windows.

Reloading a save does not work in TMO and dislike loading saved games as it always seems to foul things up.

Mouse will be fine then at some point in a patrol hear this ton/noise like a "doo duh doo" (lol) and then will have the gold cursor in SH 4 and thent he white cursor from windows, still works but a pain. Sometimes I can't click when in free cam to make the mouse go away unless, I unplug the mouse, wait, plug it back in and it works better. usually.

This just started in last month or so.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 05:39 AM   #4792
nionios
Soundman

Quote:

Yes, saving , restarting and loading always fixes things.
I was driving S-class boat and I usually play at x256 speed maximum.I never exceed that speed.
Old 06-24-22, 07:23 AM   #4793
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

I've found that if I only use the map screen while running TC at 256 or higher it keeps me from having glitches or CTD. Once a contact or something else happens it drops you out of TC right away.
I've relied on this heavily to keep me in the knowing.
It's usually when I try to run high TC while in a heavy graphics mode such as outside freeview with lots of ocean and activity that my system says...
Nope, ain't going there. What do you think I am a supercomputer...
Can't see the need for high TC for anything other than map purposes.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 06:19 AM   #4794
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
I've found that if I only use the map screen while running TC at 256 or higher it keeps me from having glitches or CTD. Once a contact or something else happens it drops you out of TC right away.
I've relied on this heavily to keep me in the knowing.
It's usually when I try to run high TC while in a heavy graphics mode such as outside freeview with lots of ocean and activity that my system says...
Nope, ain't going there. What do you think I am a supercomputer...
Can't see the need for high TC for anything other than map purposes.
Totally agree. I've found that if I pretty much stick to real time in every view except for map view, I don't generally run into issues and I've used very high TC (up to 4096) during movement to/from a patrol area.
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 01:41 PM   #4795
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
Totally agree. I've found that if I pretty much stick to real time in every view except for map view, I don't generally run into issues and I've used very high TC (up to 4096) during movement to/from a patrol area.
I agree also, that's the only time I use high TC, up to 4096 when traveling a long distance between home port to my odjective, while viewing the navigation map.

Thank FotRS team for great mod!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 02:00 PM   #4796
hunter301
Sonar Guy

It's also a great time to get caught up on your reading if you want a little realism. lol.
I like to keep some of the "on patrol" feeling to the game so I don't run right to my first battle location.
I usually like to run the TC between 256 and 1024 while getting some reading done. I always have one of my books on my desk.
Just started reading the Ian Toll Pacific war trilogy. Over 1,500 pages total between the 3 books.Hmm!
Maybe I'll keep it at 256 for a while.
And have a beer.

-ME
Old 06-26-22, 02:46 PM   #4797
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
It's also a great time to get caught up on your reading if you want a little realism. lol.
And have a beer.
i'm with you, hunter-meister.
on my second local brew of the day....and local beer is the only kind i drink now.
if i don't personally know the brewmaster, i do not drink it.

LAA enabled
Old 06-27-22, 04:45 PM   #4798
nionios
Soundman

Here again the torpedo loadout bug.
But now it's more frustrating because there's one empty aft tube and no available Mk14.Is there any way to fully load with Mk14?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (16.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-27-22, 04:48 PM   #4799
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
But now it's more frustrating because there's one empty aft tube.Is there any way to fully load with Mk14?
What is the bug doing?
If it's not reloading you because you still have some fish left then for the meantime I would fire them all off before coming into port.

-ME
Old 06-27-22, 04:50 PM   #4800
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
But now it's more frustrating because there's one empty aft tube and no available Mk14.Is there any way to fully load with Mk14?
did the "missed load" occur during an at-sea refit or between missions while you were in port?

LAA enabled