SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-13, 09:40 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Security Suites

It's time again to decide whether I buy a new licence for my Avira Premium 2013 Suite, or go with another product. Avira has had a good reputation years ago, but since two or three years has dropped to the lower end of the midfield. I am also engaged in a so far minor fight with them over a proclaimed automatic deal that I should have agreed to somewhere some day, but of which I am certain I never did it because I hate such automatic addon-deals. In short, security-wise it is sub-standard and it has given me too many false alarm recently.

Which alternative to pick? I am eyeing these to, Bit Defender, and F-Secure, because they are leading the list of this "independent" - real or fake, I don'T know - security solution analysing website: http://www.av-test.org/tests/privata...7/sepokt-2012/

However, in customer feedbacks on some shopping sites I read little about F-Secure, and much negative feedback on Bit Defender claimed to cripple the system and putting a very big foot on the break, slowing the system down, making Windows Updates impossible and pretty much ruining the installation in case of attempted deinstallation. Well, I have my Symantec debacle of around ten years ago still on mind. Creeping slow system, ruined Windows root installation, a disaster at that time, since then it is : never again Symantec.

Security-wise, however, both are found in tests to lead the pack this year, and quite clearly so.

Comments? Advise? Bit Defender is tempting because it is a three-PC licence, and I have to maintain the rig of my parents, too. Another piece on soldi info on another program that offers solid security and is easy on the system? Trend Micro, or G-Data maybe? Kaspersky? I think now I listed the top five, or not?
Old 01-07-13, 10:00 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Forget F-Secure. Apparently the "firewall" it has bases on the Windows Firewall and the rules for it get designed by the company without the user being able to alter them in any way, I read.

????

Not convincing, that.
Old 01-07-13, 10:53 AM   #3
Uboatman
Medic

Downloads: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Forget F-Secure. Apparently the "firewall" it has bases on the Windows Firewall and the rules for it get designed by the company without the user being able to alter them in any way, I read.

????

Not convincing, that.
I have F-secure on one of my machines and it has never been a problem for anything I've needed to do, any settings options you'd like me to check? I will say that Customer Support from F-secure that I've needed to use on a number of occasions has been excellent, and I would recommend them to anyone based on the current package I have.
Uboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 01:36 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I'm just quoting some customer feedback. Some said that the F-Secure Suite bases on only the Windows firewall, and does not allow alteration of settings and defining rules for given applications different than those centrally decided on and implemented by the company. But I want to be able to define rules myself for certain software, so that it is being blocked always, or always must ask for permission to access the web, for example.

The first one for example is useful for unwanted updaters that you cannot avoid getting installed when installing an apllication (Logitech for example), and they notoriously give away system data or ripplefire registraiton request at you. The second is nice for software of which purpose I am not certain and thus I do not want it to access the internet in the background without giving me a note first that it wants to do that.

Anyhow, I tend to try Kaspersky. But then: again customer feedback. Many people seem to have reported registration issues, and their service not answering at all. The copies for the German market seem to have an issue with localization and thus some or many of them do not accept the registration code, saying it is for another localisation only.

Some suites seem to offer security features that rely on Chrome, Mozilla or Explorer being used, by their specs they give the impression they make use of these mandatory. But I use Opera, and I will not go back to Explorer. I learned to love Opera.
Old 01-07-13, 03:08 PM   #5
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

I use eeye blink

http://www.beyondtrust.com/Products/...intProtection/

Very customizable, very versatile, includes an IDS (intrusion detection system), the antivirus detection is a bit too intense though.

For example, QQ, a very popular Chinese IM system is detected as "adware". Sure, it has very annoying Ads, and there are lots of popup ads, but it shouldn't really be labled as malicious and quarantined.

But than again, in most cases, update your software, and have good usage habits. It helps more than any type of security software out there.
Old 01-07-13, 03:42 PM   #6
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

Eyeball V.1.1 and Handsoff Version 13
The usual suspects a la Malwarebytes, S&D,CC, and my newest find (not so new, but to me) - Combofix.

Old 01-07-13, 03:53 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
But than again, in most cases, update your software, and have good usage habits. It helps more than any type of security software out there.
Hm, you need both, the one cannot replace the other. Be paranoid a bit, have what you call "good usage habits" - and have a competent security guard solution set up as well. Even good usage habits cannot safe you from randomly hitting a formerly trustworthy site that meanwhile got infested.

I want one that does not cause a mess on my system, works with reliable results, and does not put too much stress on my system when I do heavy simming. Malwarebyte's I already use. Very good one - it saved me where Avira failed, repeatedly.
Old 01-07-13, 04:15 PM   #8
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

then you need one that you can turn off and on as you wish.
Norton, i think, offers that feature (...?)
Old 01-07-13, 05:07 PM   #9
Uboatman
Medic

@Skybird:

There were issues with a previous version of F-Secure but they seemed to have been ironed out with the latest version. I experience no slowdown at all with the latest version and as some have mentioned I can turn it off and on as I please. You could always give it a try, think they are now doing a free trial for potential customers.

My brother use ESET NOD32 and is very happy with them, didn't see that in your list.

Ones I stay away from (after personal experience)

Norton
AVG
McAfee
Old 01-07-13, 05:40 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uboatman View Post
. I experience no slowdown at all with the latest version and as some have mentioned I can turn it off and on as I please.
It's not about switching it off completely, that would be pointless when you are online or some background application goes online for update or whatever. It is about selectively choosing which applications are allowed by the firewall to go online, which one must ask you for permission, and which ones are blocked, always. If it is true what I read, that they in principle use the windows firewall, then this is not only not possible, but the firewall also does not work too reliably.

Quote:
My brother use ESET NOD32 and is very happy with them, didn't see that in your list.
Never heard of that. Test, somewhere?

Quote:

Norton
AVG
McAfee
So do I. I avoid everything that has written "Norton" on its box.

P.S. Just visited the ESET website. N firewall. It's antivirus only. That's probably the reason why they call it "antivirus" themselves.

Does anyone know independent testing sites for security suites like the German one I linked? The magazines I do not trust and I would prefer to know in advance what it is that I install for testing on my rig - BEFORE it messes up my installation maybe and leaves me with plenty of work and wasted hours.
Old 01-07-13, 07:34 PM   #11
Uboatman
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
P.S. Just visited the ESET website. N firewall. It's antivirus only. That's probably the reason why they call it "antivirus" themselves.
From the ESET website:

"ESET Smart Security 5,Internet security you can trust with Firewall, Antivirus, Antispam, Antispyware and Parental Control"

Says firewall right there, from the bit I can read looks like it's their own one not Windows's one, have another look
Old 01-07-13, 08:14 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
From the ESET website:

"ESET Smart Security 5,Internet security you can trust with Firewall, Antivirus, Antispam, Antispyware and Parental Control"
I was at the German site. All talking about antivirus only. Anyhow, the Germn testing website does not list Eset as a good one. Not even average industrial standard, they say. Scores base on overall metaresults for Sept-Oct last year.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/sepoct-2012/

One can sort the results at the top, in three categories, protection, repair, usability (the latter including speed factors and system drain).

Sites like this seem to be the only possibility to have at least a chnace to bring some order into the diverse disorder of software you can buy. Somewhere one just has to start.

Quote:
Says firewall right there, from the bit I can read looks like it's their own one not Windows's one, have another look
[/quote]

Windows firewall integrated - that was said about F-Secure.
Old 01-07-13, 08:21 PM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Avast.
Old 01-07-13, 08:38 PM   #14
Uboatman
Medic

"Windows firewall integrated - that was said about F-Secure" I know, here:

http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/Smart-Security

And this article might interest you, although I'll keep looking:

http://www.7tutorials.com/best-inter...ites-2012-2013

Going to leave it there as there just doesn't appear to be enough information out on this years products yet, good luck, if you are still unsure of any products why not send a company an email asking if their product meets your requirements?

Last edited by Uboatman; 01-07-13 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 09:30 PM   #15
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Quote:

Norton
AVG
McAfee

I'm also due to replace mine soon, I have been using McAfee and am looking at going with it again, just for convenience. What is it you don't like about it?