SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-09, 02:15 PM   #31
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
GWX didn't fail, they just couldn't meet what we wanted with what they had.
Not even that. It looks like a large part of what was being worked on for GWX4 will work with SH5, which means that both being released at about the same time would make GWX4 redundant.
Old 09-09-09, 11:18 PM   #32
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Well Jaxa, after 3 days and SH4 rebooting my system twice plus still so many bugs I give up, quite disappointing, back to SH3!!
Been running SH4 with Operation Monsun since Lurker released V100 to the present version, not one reboot, BSOD, hangup, fart or burp ever.

I just want to put that out there as there are hundreds of happy customers stalking the Atlantic and Indian Ocean.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 04:36 AM   #33
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromus View Post
No offense really, but only "bug" here seems to be your computer...

If majority of ppl here can play them w/o any issues then problem is definately not the fanmade mods or SH4.

These guys are doing amazing jobs and I didn`t encounter any serious bugs/problems in any mods I wrote in my previous post.
And they are all big mods with great efforts put into so biatching about them is simply "not right" (they all work, I simply hate is someone tear down something that actually WORKS)...
And yes, you can call me a fanboi because I simply am of anyone who puts so much effort into mod that makes game MUCH better and does it for FREE.

P.S: If your computer can`t handle SH4 don`t even think about SH5...
I have respect for guys making mods for SH4, they made big work and honor to them. Everybody has own opinion about this game, in my opinion SH3/GWX has unique atmosphere, which takes me to WW2 times better than SH4 ATO. I hope SH5 will have it (I'd like to), but I think that GWX team will have to spend many times on it.
Cheers

PS. You have right, It's necessary to buy a new graphic card for SH5 - I use ATI X1950Pro now and SH4 doesn't play as smoothly as GWX.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 01:56 PM   #34
Kromus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
PS. You have right, It's necessary to buy a new graphic card for SH5 - I use ATI X1950Pro now and SH4 doesn't play as smoothly as GWX.
Just a friendly hint, since you wrote brand of your GC, you should seriously think about building new computer from the scratch, otherwise you will be in trouble, 3 years old rig won`t do miracles here - 01/02/2007 was release date of your GC (I suppose you built/bought computer at same time at you bought your GC).
I`m using Q6600, 4GB, 280GTX and I`m not sure if that will be enough for fluid gameplay (I`m thinking about 295 because of this, but I suppose I do full upgrage to i7 and everything by the end of 2010)

So if you want really to enjoy SH5 consider also full upgrade (I know money is problem but since you are big fan of this game series you should do everything to enjoy it fullest ), otherwise it will be your next disappointment .

Edit: My bad, release date was 09/11/2006 i was looking at x1950 XT.

Last edited by Kromus; 09-10-09 at 02:14 PM.
Kromus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 10:57 AM   #35
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Considering the amount of bugs SH4 has I think those using it have a lot of patience, and modders such as Lurker have done a marvelous job in getting around them, but it is a battle, I just don't have the patience and my computer obviously doesn't either, hopefully the work that has been done by the GWX4 team is donated to modders such as Lurker to use!
Don't get me started on SH3-bugs, lol! I don't know why you look so down on SH4 because frankly there's no reason to. SH4 was buggy at game launch. So was SH3. Patches fixed most issues but not all for both games. Mods fixed more issues, but not all for both games. You can have a blast with current SH4-mods as many of us do. If you are experiencing crashes, it's your hardware... just because you can play SH3 or other games fine doesn't mean it's SH4... really... 2 months ago I started getting reboots myself in some games but not all... problem? GFX8800 was in process of dying and only exhibited problems during specific system loads. In the end it failed comlpetely. New card now, no problem @ all. I read somehwere else you had hdd-errors and had reset errors where your system failed to reboot, but it's too silly to blame that on SH4.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 11:54 AM   #36
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

@Reece,
HDD errors and sudden reset can also be signs of a defective power source IMO. Earlier this year, I experienced strange HDD errors, with clean zip archives going defective when I moved them from one HDD to another. I fiddled a little with the configuration of power cables inside the computer, I moved HDDs in various power cable configurations and the problem disappeared. I don't know what your system config is, but I would advice you first to dust it very well (dust accumulation is a killer, you know?) with a hairdryer or vaccum cleaner on mild reverse, then check your power cables to see if they make contact allright, and if things still go wrong, try a stronger power source.
I have a 600 W Spire in my system and still feel it's not enough. A lot of people tend to disconsider the importance of having quality power run through their computer, and power sources sometimes don't go away in a puff. They take some time to die and meanwhile their parameters keep worsening. Eventually, they might even destroy a more valuable component inside your system.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 03:30 PM   #37
Kromus
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
@Reece,
HDD errors and sudden reset can also be signs of a defective power source IMO. Earlier this year, I experienced strange HDD errors, with clean zip archives going defective when I moved them from one HDD to another. I fiddled a little with the configuration of power cables inside the computer, I moved HDDs in various power cable configurations and the problem disappeared. I don't know what your system config is, but I would advice you first to dust it very well (dust accumulation is a killer, you know?) with a hairdryer or vaccum cleaner on mild reverse, then check your power cables to see if they make contact allright, and if things still go wrong, try a stronger power source.
I have a 600 W Spire in my system and still feel it's not enough. A lot of people tend to disconsider the importance of having quality power run through their computer, and power sources sometimes don't go away in a puff. They take some time to die and meanwhile their parameters keep worsening. Eventually, they might even destroy a more valuable component inside your system.
Very nice input and very true.
I`ve just bought Enermax Infinity 720, going to install it tommorow so wish me luck :P (had Enermax 620 for about 2 years - no problems computer runs like a charm, not a single blue screen/reboot on Vista which I`m using about a year).

Even that last, let`s say 15 years, dumbed down requirements of technical knowledge of PC users (anyone remember old MS-DOS times? Blinking cursor and black screen (CD, RD, MD, Dir etc. commands). Or Norton Commander? , later DOS Navigator), it`s stil a machine you need at least minimum knowledge how to use it...

So for all of those who are having problems not just with SH4 but any other games, software or computer itself, try to search for someone who understands computers. You will get much better experience when playing games that don`t work as they should or don`t work at all. Just let him look at it and he will probably fix it...

And if everything else fails then there`s still a magic formula - Console gaming

@dcb: for cleaning im using this http://www.westech.sk/?cls=stoitem&stiid=13019
Old 09-12-09, 01:03 AM   #38
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
I`ve just bought Enermax Infinity 720, going to install it tommorow so wish me luck :P
Well... Good Luck!

Quote:
anyone remember old MS-DOS times? Blinking cursor and black screen (CD, RD, MD, Dir etc. commands). Or Norton Commander? , later DOS Navigator), it`s stil a machine you need at least minimum knowledge how to use it...
I certainly do. I started back in '88 with an Atari computer (dead brand now) and got my first PC XT in '92, so I know pretty well the prehistory. And I'm still using Total Commander with the background set to blue, so it looks like old Norton Commander. I didn't like DOS navigator, though. Anyway, I agree with you that everybody should learn how to build a computer from scratch and understand what's inside, if he wants to make it work to full capacity and avoid a lot of trouble later.

Quote:
@dcb: for cleaning im using this http://www.westech.sk/?cls=stoitem&stiid=13019
I'm using my wife's hairdryer. Best tool for the job!
:rotfl:

Last edited by dcb; 09-12-09 at 05:19 AM.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 04:38 AM   #39
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

@ dcb, I ruled out power supply etc because I have a lot of other games that I play such as Crysis & Far Cry 2 with absolutely no problems at all, however I do have an initial reset problem that could be the power supply, the game problem though I'm starting to think is may be in OM nav training school, both resets occurred there, the second near way point 6, could some one else give it a go, help rule it out!
Cheers.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 05:07 AM   #40
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
@ I'm starting to think is may be in OM nav training school

I don't think so !!
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 06:16 AM   #41
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
I don't think so !!
This is a positive response for you, I hope it is, that's a positive response for me, I would just love to know the problem, since I had to re-ghost the game is not on, I might ghost my system then install and test with stock 1.5 nav training mission to see if there is a problem still. I had all the graphics set to max, there are so many options there, also had video set to 1440x900, I have a Creative X-fi Xtreme sound card installed, maybe SH4 doesn't like that, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks.

Old 09-12-09, 07:58 AM   #42
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21

Quote:
This is a positive response for you, I hope it is, that's a positive response for me, I would just love to know the problem, since I had to re-ghost the game is not on, I might ghost my system then install and test with stock 1.5 nav training mission to see if there is a problem still. I had all the graphics set to max, there are so many options there, also had video set to 1440x900, I have a Creative X-fi Xtreme sound card installed, maybe SH4 doesn't like that, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks.
Play US side to see if you have CTD´s or not.with your mods installed
Old 09-12-09, 08:01 AM   #43
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

I'll rule it out for you: hardware/driver issue...

Run a benchmark for GPU/CPU/MEM/HDD for at least 20-30 mins and see if your system likes it... Backup before you do though because when you have a pending problem, a stresstest usually makes it worse
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 10:04 AM   #44
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Thanks Skwas, 3Dmark06 do? I have that, will try now. Don't know of any other.
Quote:
Play US side to see if you have CTD´s or not.with your mods installed
Might try that later!

Edit: I just ran 3Dmark06 through 3 times without a hitch, Video card got to 49 degrees C and the CPU to 38 degrees C, took half an hour, BTW best score was 9149!

Last edited by Reece; 09-12-09 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 11:03 AM   #45
Kromus
Lieutenant

Sorry for offtopic (will be the last one)

Quote:
Well... Good Luck!
Thanks, just finished install and it`s working (When I turn off computer it still powers computer fans to cool down hardware, I really like it)

Quote:
I certainly do. I started back in '88 with an Atari computer (dead brand now) and got my first PC XT in '92, so I know pretty well the prehistory. And I'm still using Total Commander with the background set to blue, so it looks like old Norton Commander. I didn't like DOS navigator, though. Anyway, I agree with you that everybody should learn how to build a computer from scratch and understand what's inside, if he wants to make it work to full capacity and avoid a lot of trouble later.
My first computer was Atari 800 XL back in '86 (I was 6 years old). I still have it packed up somewhere

Well I didn`t mean actually --everything-- about computers just to know basics about using them . So ppl would have idea what went wrong.