SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-10, 10:55 AM   #1
daftspore
Watch

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0
Default Visiting U-boats

All,

Not sure if this is the right section, so apologies if it is not.

I am looking to go and visit some u-boats this year (wanted to go for years but decided to make some time this year).

FIrstly I am in the UK and U-534 in Liverpool is going to be an easy trip, has anyone been and is it worth it?

I am going to try to fit in a trip to U-995 in Laboe as well but have a few questions for people that have been from the UK:

1) Is Hamburg airport the easiest to fly to?
2) If it is, do most people that have been hire a car to drive to Laboe\Kiel?
3) Is there a better way to get there?
4) I assume the trip is well worth it but can anyone post some comments if they have been?

Thanks in advance.
daftspore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 05:02 PM   #2
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

If you ever make to the States, make sure you check out U-505 in Chicago. Also, there are plenty of Fleet boats around(with ice cream makers and everything!

Welcome aboard!

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 07:21 PM   #3
daftspore
Watch

I travel to the states for work sometimes, just not Chicago yet

I saw U-505 when searching earlier today and it looks like an impressive exhibition.
Old 03-21-10, 04:36 AM   #4
gandalf71
Loader

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftspore View Post
All,

1) Is Hamburg airport the easiest to fly to?
2) If it is, do most people that have been hire a car to drive to Laboe\Kiel?
3) Is there a better way to get there?
4) I assume the trip is well worth it but can anyone post some comments if they have been?

Thanks in advance.
1) It´s certainly the closest one.
2) One possibility, but...
3) ...you can drive to Kiel by bus or train also. There is a direct bus line which takes about 90 mins to Kiel train station.
Directly in front of the train station, at the waterline, you can jump onto a ferry which will take you to Laboe in about 45min. This ferry will travel almost hourly (every 2nd hour in spring) starting again from end of March and has an interesting route across the Kiel Fjord. On this tour you will have peek on the HDW wharf where modern U-Boats are built, currently a Greek Class 214 boat can be seen in front of the wharf building and occasionally an Type 209. You will see the Kiel Naval base, if you are lucky with the Gorch **** mooring at the "Tirpitzmole" (currently she is docked in Elsfleth (Weser), she is expected to be back in Kiel in July) and the entrance of Kiel canal. The ferry will stop also in Möltenort where you can visit the U-Boat war memorial, which is in good walking distance. And finally the ferry will arrive in Laboe, where you have U-995 and the Museum in walking distance also.

http://www.sfk-kiel.de/linien/linien.html (the blue line)

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
Michael

P.S.: Gorch ****
gandalf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 04:37 AM   #5
Akula
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 56

Hmm strange.... I responded to this thread yesterday, but the response is gone....

Anyway, here goes again...

I am visiting U-995 this coming Easter as well as part of a little holiday to visit the parents-in-law.

Hamburg is the closest airport as far as I know.

Trains are pretty good, so if you didn't want to get a car that should be no problem.

Depending on your schedule and time, I can also highly recommend visiting the Wilhelm Bauer (originally designated U-2540) which is a Type XXI U-boat. This is in Bremerhaven which is not too far away from Kiel.

Well worth the visit.

Enjoy your trip!
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 04:46 AM   #6
daftspore
Watch

Thanks for your excellent replies. I posted this mail in 2 sections so you are not going mad Gian.

I will post some pictures of U-534 if I get there at Easter, shame it is in sections but I understand that is the only way they got it passed as a exhibit apparently.
Old 03-21-10, 11:13 AM   #7
daftspore
Watch

I just said to my wife that I am going to go to hamburg instead of LIverpool in a few weeks and she said that she and my daughter would come as well. I nearly fell off my chair!

Anyway, would this plan work:

1) Fly into Hamburg at 9.50AM
2) Train\bus to Kiel
3) Ferry to Laboe
4) See everything
5) Get back to Hamburg the same evening to stay in a hotel at Hamburg Airport
6) Fly back to the UK the next morning

Would this be a bit too much of a squeeze, I think the buses\trains run till late so my first glance looks like it might be workable.

Thanks