SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-24, 11:37 PM   #346
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

You could Über the St. Andrews realism by standing in your shower while you played.
Old 04-02-24, 06:04 AM   #347
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Is "singing while golfing" mandatory at St. Andrews?
Imagine this, flocks of golfers on the course, all howling and yelling while making their strokes, and their partners holding shower handgrips over them.
Typically British. Eccentrics.
Old 04-02-24, 06:59 AM   #348
Skybird
Soaring

Markus,
alternative club attachments:

40 cm long, cant say anything on the weight and swinging feel. But it is a popular model and cheaper than DeadEyeVR. Its light, 172gr without controller (~130gr) say sone feedback.

Two more alternatives:

This one has a formdiable grip but lacks weight. I have it, know it from practice. But it is short. Its an early model by DeadEyeVR, and still available.

And this one is the club I now use. It comes in two versions, the normal verison is the one shown in the video, there is also a shortened version which is my choice, it is around 53cm. The standard version is 74cm, thats 21cm more.

Can't you find a bigger play space?

A note on deadEyeVR, their products are probably at the top of the quality list, but their service is not. I did three orders, anbd ion allc ases had to remind them later on to actually process the order, then they logge dit into the shipping company'S system - and did not bring in the parcel for another week, then it took 10-12 days for shipping additonally to the 1 week wasted and one week waiting time - and this they call premmier or express shipping and price it heftily. Four emails never got replied to, a criticisim I voice dat the end wa snot answered, and the total costs with shipping and customs doubled the item price of 90 coins, I had to pay twice as mjuch, almost. That is hefty and not many in Europe are eccentric enough to do it, I assume. But with the club itself I am now totally happy, its fantastic. So: product great, price hefty, service lousy. For American customers it is significantly cheaper, though not really "cheap".

Yezro might be the best alternative to DeadEyeVR out there.

But if you want a short solution, its the small DeadeyeVR DriVR or the Sunlaki.Both are short. But both are also very light.

Your choice. I recommend to test Golf with controller first, due to your spacing problem. Do not buy cheaper plastic items from China, people say they tend to break - and often. In the end you muist not play it as hardcore simualtion as I try to do, but can set up the game that it becomes more forgiving and gamer-friendly. Its still a fantastic experience then. Just the results and ratings loose comparability then. The tournaments they do online all are played on relatively high, sim-heavy settings.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-02-24 at 08:03 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 09:58 AM   #349
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Thank you for your input Marc.

I'm not going to buy stuff like the DeadEyeVR together with the Quest 3 directly. First I'm going to get (forgot the word) with the set first.

As said before there's 4 things I'm going to buy beside the Quest 3.

1. chargeable batteries 3500 mAH or more
2. This powerbank
3. This anti-sweat stuff(forgot it's name)
4. This cable who shall go from the powerbank to the headset.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 10:29 AM   #350
Skybird
Soaring

By 1. you probably mean a headstrap replacement with integrated battery. Good.

With the powerbank in 2. I would wait, just in case you do not like the headset and want to return it. You have the 2nd battery in the headset repalcement, and Amazon would deliver such things quickly if need be.

The cloth mask in 3, good idea, and no huge financial investment. If you have none: a small ventilator I would rate even more important. It helps tremendously, also against warmth-induced nausea.

The cable in 4. you obviously need for the powerbank in 2. - if you get it.

For orientation: when I play 18 holes in Golf+ I need around 80 minutes. Usually that empties half of the combined battery for the headset and the headstrap together. Battery consumption can drastically vary with different software, however.

P.S.
a powerbank is a great emergency and repair light if used with one of these tiny LED lights that get plugged into a USB port. Its not wrong to have two or three such powerbanks at home, as emergency reserves. The light lasts forever. Some have the size of small or big USB sticks, and are extremely bright. They come in cold and warm white. You can alo put them into a cellphone charger that goes into a wall mount, if there is power but just no light in the place where light is needed.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-02-24 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-02-24, 10:52 AM   #351
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Ohh I meant to exchange the batteries who came with the controllers to these 3500 mAH and then use the Powerbank to the headset.

Don't like it..By reading all your positive words about it and all the videos I've seen, there's no doubt that I'm going to love it.

The only thing I fear is motion sickness That I can't use it even after some weeks or month due to motion sickness.

I'll give it some time to get my brain adjust to this Virtual Reality-I remember you once said this would take 1-2 weeks or something like that

I have a conservatory/wintergarten and there I have around
4 to 5X4 to 5 square meter free space. This can't be used during late autumn, winter and early spring.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 11:45 AM   #352
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I have a conservatory/wintergarten and there I have around
4 to 5X4 to 5 square meter free space. This can't be used during late autumn, winter and early spring.
Why not? It sounds ideal! If its only the colder temperature - you will get warm with the right titles. Very. Promised. Watch out for ceiling height when swinging, it snot just the walls. Even more so if there is plenty of windows/glass walls...

-----------------------------

On my quest to compare sim with reality, namely my own performance, I red this today, from the German edition of Golf Post:
Quote:
Club head speed and drive length are closely linked. Club head speed depends on various factors: power, technique, equipment and agility. The club head speed of professional golfers is well documented, especially on the PGA Tour, but what about the average golfer?

According to TrackMan's data, the average golfer has an average club head speed of 93.4 mi/h (150.3127 km/h), reaching a distance of 214 yards (195.7 meters). However, this does not apply to golfers of all handicap classes. As a rule, the better the handicap, the faster the club head speed. According to the USGA, the average handicap is between 14 and 15. A golfer with a 10 handicap reaches an average of around 95 mi/h (153 km/h), with a 5 handicap 101 mi/h (162.5 km/h) and a scratch golfer reaches 110 mi/h (177 km/h).

According to an estimate by swingmangolf.com, women reach an average of 78 mi/h (125.5 km/h) and a length of 179 yards (163.7 meters). Of course, it is not only the handicap that plays a role, but also age. But that doesn't mean that you can't improve your club head speed as you get older, provided you train properly, as these statistics show:

By comparison, the average PGA Tour professional reaches a speed of 113 mi/h (182 km/h). The golfer with the longest drives in the 2019 PGA Tour season was Cameron Champ, who achieved an average club head speed of 128 mi/h (206 km/h). Looking at data from previous years, however, it is also clear that such speed is an advantage, but not a necessity. At just 109 mi/h (175 km/h), Matt Kuchar was at the slower end of the PGA Tour pros in 2017/18, for example. Colt Knost brought up the rear with 102 mi/h (164 km/h).

For the ladies on the LPGA Tour, the average club head speed is 94 mi/h (151 km/h), which is in the range of an average male amateur, but according to the LPGA, they reach a length of 248 yards (227 meters), 34 yards (31 meters) further. This is due to greater drive efficiency, which is 2.64 yards per mi/h of club head speed, according to swingmangolf.com. For male professionals, this figure is only 2.57, while amateurs achieve 2.29.
Well. My drives reach a carry (flight time until ground contact) of 190-230 meters. With that I am apparently quite normal, certainly not bad. Aiming is a different story... Maybe I try to hard to jujst put power into it. I will test to swing softer, and to control movement better, hopefully.

With clearly over 20 rounds on Pro level played now, my adjusted handicap has stabilized and currently fluctuates between 18 and 20. So there I am slightly below average Joe.

Das wird schon... And I do not cheat and play with beefed up values like a second Tiger Woods. I play as myself, a normal average dude.
Old 04-02-24, 11:57 AM   #353
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
and their partners holding shower handgrips over them.
In the states, most of our shower heads project from higher up the tile and rain down on us. We don't need a shower buddy to hold "anything" for us.
Old 04-03-24, 04:27 AM   #354
Skybird
Soaring

Great show, it leaves just one question: is it immersive?

It is also an illustration of the long version of the DeadeyeVR DriVR Elite club, of which I use the shorter version. If you have the space both vertically and horizontally, I would recommend this over any other. Mind you, it is 70 cm long. In rooms with a standard 2.40m ceiling, this can be a problem.

Mind you, he plays at Topgolf Vegas, which is a graphically modern addition to the game, but also at the courses "Alpine" and "Castle Links". "Alpine" and "Cliffs" are very old maps that are not represenattive for the DLC courses, whcih offer far greate rlooks and better detail, I think Cliffs was the first course they did many years ago in the old game that still had a different title back then. Castles is okay and has a nice mood, but again is nopt on par with the DLC's visual quality. So do not judge the game by the looks in this video. Its a first impression video, he meanwhile seems to have gotten at least St. Andrews, I read somewhere.
Old 04-03-24, 07:56 AM   #355
Skybird
Soaring

This guy made just three videos so far, but all three of them give some profound explanations and hint at good training options. The ball directon indicator was completely new to me.

Old 04-04-24, 08:41 AM   #356
Skybird
Soaring

SteamLink and Virtual Desktop - which one is better?

Old 04-07-24, 05:18 AM   #357
Skybird
Soaring

The Steam Link app for Quest 3 has matured. When it was released, firts it did not even keep theloink reliably, and corruoted the flow of the game after 20-3ß seocnds. But now I have tested it with it srecent build, due to the Nordschleife in Assetto corsa Competzione beign released (many, many laps logged sincethen... : ) , and what should I say: woth my archaic gfx biard and olf system (almost 7 years) it ran the Schleife without a single crash.
However, due to the enormous demand and the high pixel load and the need to additonally cualcoate the wireless link, the sim runs absolutely playable, but not completely smooth as silk. I also had to reduce the cars on track to 16. But by the end of the day: it works, and suprisingly reliable, the limitations are due to my overaged hardware, its a fossile by now, but still does what I throw at it in work and jobload. (Even the gfx bioard is 6.5 years runnign now, I was used of seeing them smoking up every 3 years or so).

I tested it with other games as well, it works, and is the most comfortable way to play PC Steam games in the Quest. It takes Steam running on PC as it usually does in the background anyway, and downloading and running the Steam Link app on the Quest. You end up in the same Steam VR Home screen you get when attaching a PC-cable-linked headset like my G2 to the PC, but why would i want to do that anymore? The image in the Quest is so much better.

The only hickup is that after I finish playing a game this way, I am best advised to not end it inside the game optiosn, but to shut down Stema Link app comletel yand if need be, restart it. I oftn wofund that if leaving the game but retrnign to the Steam home end up in corrupted stability of the Stema App itself. Well, no big deal.

The same sort of app is offered for XBox abonements. I do not know that since I do not own an XBox, but if that works as good as the Steam app, then it must be fantastic for XBox players.
Old 04-07-24, 08:02 AM   #358
Skybird
Soaring

Strange things are going on in my living room!

The net is practically where the glass of the window and door is, half the table stands on the balcony.

Same, part of the table stands on the balcony. To move around the table, I would grab the handle on the sides and simply turn the table, or drag it to another position. Simple as nose poking. Align the table height with the surface of a real table or any solid structure, and you can even lean on it.

When you run left and right on the baseline, the window follows. I prefer to play in full VR fopr better immersion, however, this mixed reality solution (Meta calls it "Passthrough mode") works, and it works well.

Cybrix, which gets the better the more advanced the levels you reach, a mix of squash and breakout. It uses a quite big window into the VR.

Racket Ball. I use the mixed reality mode only to align the playing area wiht real world boundaries, then switch to full VR for better immersion. The cabin inside which you play limit your and ball movement to the rear and sides - with glass walls - anyway, so once aligned, mixed reality is no longer essential for security.

The Thrill of the Fight. From second highest of four difficulty levels on it really is a serious, sweat-driving workout, below that level its tame, even boring (Youtube videos usually do nto do it any justice, always film low level opponents that just stand still and take the beating). The ring will be tailored in size and in such a way that it fits best into your defined guardian cage inside Meta'S space setup. The bigger your guardian cage, the more to real size the ring will grow. Theoretically, if you have the space, you can chase him through most of your living room - or let him chasing you... Or you have an intimate infight with only 1.5x1.5 meters of ring size.

When hitting and kicking things in VR, situational awareness for your real world surrounding is of paramount importance. Never forget where you really are. I place a marker on the floor, right on the centrepoint of my playing space that I could feel with my feet. That way I know that I stand where I am safe, no matter how wild I swing or making a step to any side. Also, frequently zeroing your position via button on the right controller is important.

The screenshots do not do it all justice, and the perspective is slightly distorted, compared to what you see in the headset. But belie it: mixed reality in the Quest 3 works incredibly well. The game in question must have the option for it hard-coded into it, you cannot play just evertyhing in mixed reality mode.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-07-24 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 05:49 AM   #359
Skybird
Soaring

This app from the applab (=early access, in development) is chess in mixed reality squared, so to speak.

Look closely. You can have both colours' pieces fully virtual. But then you can also have your own real pieces on a real board, the Quest then will recognise if you move these - and project virtual pieces of your human or AI opponent onto that virtuaol board. That way, you have full haptic feedback from playing with real pieces on a real board.

It is a bit like with VR apps for piano playing where key marking get projected onto the real, material keys.

Nice! Half material, half virtual. But note that the feature currently is experimental and does not yet work reliably.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-08-24 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 06:04 AM   #360
Skybird
Soaring

BTW., this is a list with titles at the applab.

https://applabgamelist.com/Best

Thes egames mostkly are old games, games in development, early access candidates, things that are no longer developed, or that are crap (many are, probably most are).

I got Pool, Chess and Air Hockey from this place.

You cannto find these in the Quest store, they are hidden, you must use a PC to access the site, click on the game, log in with your Meta ccount - and then it transports you into the interface of the normal Meta store and then things work as usual, just on PC. You buy or mark the download, in your Meta account, and next time you activate your Quest 3, you find it available for download. It works, i did it three times.

The applap probably offers fa rmroe titles than the Meta store where you only find finished titles officially tested for Quest 2/Pro/3 compatability.