SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-14, 03:02 PM   #1
TheLetterR
Swabbie

Downloads: 183
Uploads: 0
Default [WIP] German VIIC U-Cruiser

This mod is still in WIP since I still have to make the turrets and I am still trying to figure out how to get it into SH4 1.5 so this may take sometime before its actually released.

As a fan of crazy submarines, I decided to make the well known (or unknown) Type XI U-cruiser....sort of. I wanted to use the body of a enlarged VIIC because........well, I just like the body better then a Type IX. :P Could pretend its a prototype and Germany just wanted to use a already "mass produced" submarine body. Also, this is a "what if" design. Since the original proposed U-Cruiser was not built, pretend that Doenitz (or someone else) wanted a prototype, so they used a enlarged VIIC hull with a (I would guess) prototype flak tower. I say prototype because I plan on being able to use it in early 1942. I may add a snorkel too, if I can figure out how to get it to work.

This is early WIP so there isn't too much to see, just showing what has been made so far.

Apologies in advance for the photo quality, no idea how to fix it. D:

Compared to a Type IX hull

As you can see, the size is just about right for a U-Cruiser. I chose the flak tower because I would guess the U-Cruiser would be made with the idea of "stick as many guns as we can onto the sub". I have no modeled the turrets yet because of a couple problems.

1. The hull is kinda narrow at some points so I have to redesign the turrets to be streamlined and fit nicely on the hull. The main problem with the turrets is the snorkel up front, it cuts into the widest area in front of the conning tower. Here is a photo of what I mean.

The 2nd problem is that of the size of the guns inside the turrets. Should they be the 127mm/5 inch duel purpose guns or should it be the crazy (maybe impossible) 152mm/6 inch guns?

I will continue to post updates on progress. The next update is probably going to be about the turrets.

Happy Hunting

TheLetterR is offline   Reply With Quote