SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-14, 03:18 PM   #1
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 0

Default UZO ship ID

Hello folks;

Haven't been in the N. Atlantic with OM for quite awhile and realized something is "missing"...or my memory is faulty.

Even though I've been using Manual Targeting, it was nice to be able to click on the ship ID at the bottom of the attack periscope screen instead of thumbing through the manual looking for the masthead height I needed to use the stadimeter and the target draft to set depth for impact pistols.

But, that isn't possible when using the UZO...was it always so or do I have something messed up? Is there a line in "menu_1024_768" that creates that function or some other way to check for it/recreate it?

My ATO installation is SH IV 1.5 with:
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300
OMEGU_v300_Patch7
German Map Labels v1.0
German_Officer_Hat_SH4_1.5
Kriegsmarine Chart Colour Scheme 2
Office Mod_no fan
Recognition Manual_Dark
SH4 Uboat Speech and Sounds Fix
Ship_debris_SH4_with bodies
New_Large_Lifeboat
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
Webster's Improved GE Torpedo v1

Any help would be very much appreciated.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 10:53 AM   #2
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Same here, so I don't think you've done anything wrong, and at least for me it's no big deal to hit periscope view to get the info. But I understand your point. And in your install order you didn't actually list OM v705, but I'm sure you have installed it right? As for adding this function, I'm sorry I do not know.

Speaking of Recognition Manuals, has there been a mod made that changes the ship designations to ship names? I find it hard to memorize with the way the designations are done now.K-MK-K-MK-MKF-F-P-PKM-MKF-KM-MKF-M- (A) Merchant

Last edited by Threadfin; 09-22-14 at 11:13 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 11:28 AM   #3
CaptBones
The Old Man

Default Thank you

Thanks Threadfin,

Yes...I must have cut & pasted the list of activated Mods w/o looking closely at it, the first one on the list should be OMv705, of course.

Yeah, that's what I do also, but it's more than just a bit annoying to have to raise the attack scope (or keep it up) when I'm making a surface torpedo attack in the middle of the night...my 1WO must think I'm daft! Oh well...there must be some line to add or edit in the "menu_1024_768" file...maybe someone will come along with the answer and help us both.

You've hit on another minor annoyance as well...the recognition manual; and its USN/ONI ship identification method. Of course, being built on a USN Pacific Submarine campaign sim, there are a number of other "annoyances" that I wish had been dealt with also. For starters, all of the message traffic, starting with patrol orders, seem to be originated or re-transmitted by COMSUBPAC...I wonder if they are passing that "intelligence" windfall on to the RN? Maybe that's why I seem to run into so many "reception committees" in my patrol area.
Old 09-22-14, 03:35 PM   #4
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
Thanks Threadfin,

Of course, being built on a USN Pacific Submarine campaign sim, there are a number of other "annoyances" that I wish had been dealt with also. For starters, all of the message traffic, starting with patrol orders, seem to be originated or re-transmitted by COMSUBPAC...I wonder if they are passing that "intelligence" windfall on to the RN? Maybe that's why I seem to run into so many "reception committees" in my patrol area.

I just started playing this mod, I am only 3 patrols in to it, but really enjoying it so far. Can you give an example of what you mean by that quote?

I'd really like to re-do the Recognition Manual, and I'd be happy to research the ships names, but don't know how to incorporate that in to a new manual. It would be very cool if there were some way to have the ships names tied to the ships's nationailty, even if that were only displayed in the log in the office like SH3 Cammander does. So a Panamanian MK-F-MK-Okay (Eh?) would have a different name than a Dutch one.

Speaking of logs, is there no fix for the date issue in the Captain's log in the office?

Last edited by Threadfin; 09-22-14 at 03:51 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 12:27 PM   #5
CaptBones
The Old Man

Well, when you start your patrol and the patrol order screen comes up and begins typing out your orders, you'll notice that the orders come from "BdU/SUBPAC". During the patrol, you'll also get contact information and other messages and they all come from "BdU/SUBPAC".

It's just an annoyance, but it's a big annoyance (the Yanks are reading ADM Doenitz's mail!). The other comment was just a joke; I don't really think that aforementioned annoyance is the cause, but my last couple of careers were ended swiftly and unceremoniously by "Hunter Killer" groups that I ran into just as I was entering my assigned patrol area. Seemed like they knew I was coming and were waiting for me.

Since I haven't played OM in quite awhile and am trying to fix the OP ship ID problem before starting a new career, I can't remember right off-hand what other little annoyances there are, besides the message headers and the ONI recognition manual. But, there are a few others that seem to stem from SH4 being a USN Pacific Fleet sim to begin with.

As for the Capt's Log date issue, I remember seeing a lot of discussion on that, but don't recall that any "fix" was ever developed.
Old 09-25-14, 02:47 PM   #6
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I get it, thanks. I seem to focus on the departure date and grid location evidently
Old 09-26-14, 12:52 PM   #7
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

After you pointed it out I had a look and you're right, except on my install the orders in the office do not have SubPac, but the orders you can read at sea after hitting 'M', do. Still, it's nice to see such close international co-operation