SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-21, 06:11 AM   #1
Captain Torpedo
Nub

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Im new here

So i started with my "Modded SH" like a month ago maybe? I first tried to get SH 5 to work but no luck so i tried SH 3 with the LSH Super mod and it worked perfectly so yeah...
Edit: im trying to download the Fall of the Rising Sun SH4 Mod but cant seem to make it work???
Captain Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 06:37 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Torpedo View Post
So i started with my "Modded SH" like a month ago maybe? I first tried to get SH 5 to work but no luck so i tried SH 3 with the LSH Super mod and it worked perfectly so yeah...
Edit: im trying to download the Fall of the Rising Sun SH4 Mod but cant seem to make it work???
Quite simple... it is stated in the very 1st post on the FotRS-U thread, that if there is an issue with downloading... try another browser or whitelist the subsim site in the options menu of the browser your using.

I, Myself, use Opera & have had NO issues with downloading any mod off the subsim downloads.

M. M.
Old 10-11-21, 07:28 AM   #3
Captain Torpedo
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Quite simple... it is stated in the very 1st post on the FotRS-U thread, that if there is an issue with downloading... try another browser or whitelist the subsim site in the options menu of the browser your using.

I, Myself, use Opera & have had NO issues with downloading any mod off the subsim downloads.

M. M.
Yeah that isnt the problem anymore but thx
I cant start Silent Hunter 4...it just isnt openig when i open it nothing happens but on steam it says its open
bruh i cant figure out FotrSu Mod

Last edited by Captain Torpedo; 10-11-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 08:24 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What you might be running into is the video properties of the SH4.exe file not cooperating with a newer computer. From your Steam menu, you'll want to go to the local files folder, or go into "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \common \steamapps \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" (assuming a default install) and find the SH4.exe file. If you don't see the ".exe" portion of the path, then click on the first-listed SH4 file. Right-click on it with your mouse, and choose "Properties" toward the bottom of that menu. Then you'll have to start experimenting with the settings on the "Compatibility" tab of that pop-up window, as below, which also shows the "Change high DPI settings" window:

Next thing, if that is where your Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder is, you'll have to move it to where it is outside of either of the "Program Files" folders, and also outside of any other of the several Windows "protected" folders. If you have a valid 2nd hard drive (or SSD), then you can install a 2nd Steam Library folder on it, and put SH4 over there. Consult the Steam Knowledge Base article Moving a Steam Installation and Games as appropriate, for more information. I have my old DirectX v9 Steam games in "C:\Games \ Steam..." on the one computer, and "F:\Games \Steam..." on another, with the "Games" folder being one that I created. Windows User Access Control (UAC), among other technologies will prevent JSGME from properly activating a mod if you keep it in a "Program Files" folder, since neither SH4 nor JSGME are 'registered' programs in the Win database. Not that they are "bad" programs, just that they were written to the WinXP interface, not the Win Vista and later paradigm. As such, Windows will rollback all edits done to cfg and other similar files, resulting in a partial activation of a mod, and then you end up with a mess of a game...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 08:29 AM   #5
Captain Torpedo
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What you might be running into is the video properties of the SH4.exe file not cooperating with a newer computer. From your Steam menu, you'll want to go to the local files folder, or go into "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \common \steamapps \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" (assuming a default install) and find the SH4.exe file. If you don't see the ".exe" portion of the path, then click on the first-listed SH4 file. Right-click on it with your mouse, and choose "Properties" toward the bottom of that menu. Then you'll have to start experimenting with the settings on the "Compatibility" tab of that pop-up window, as below, which also shows the "Change high DPI settings" window:

Next thing, if that is where your Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder is, you'll have to move it to where it is outside of either of the "Program Files" folders, and also outside of any other of the several Windows "protected" folders. If you have a valid 2nd hard drive (or SSD), then you can install a 2nd Steam Library folder on it, and put SH4 over there. Consult the Steam Knowledge Base article Moving a Steam Installation and Games as appropriate, for more information. I have my old DirectX v9 Steam games in "C:\Games \ Steam..." on the one computer, and "F:\Games \Steam..." on another, with the "Games" folder being one that I created. Windows User Access Control (UAC), among other technologies will prevent JSGME from properly activating a mod if you keep it in a "Program Files" folder, since neither SH4 nor JSGME are 'registered' programs in the Win database. Not that they are "bad" programs, just that they were written to the WinXP interface, not the Win Vista and later paradigm. As such, Windows will rollback all edits done to cfg and other similar files, resulting in a partial activation of a mod, and then you end up with a mess of a game...
Okay thx ill try...seems more complicated than the Installation for LSH 2020 SH3
Bruh SH 4 isnt even working i give up
Old 10-11-21, 08:46 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

SH3 and SH4 are basically the same game engine, but Steam 'updated' their install for SH3 not too long ago to be usable in Vista, but SH4 is still the same. LSH guys include a modded SH3.exe file in their install, which has appropriate settings for the 'modern' Windows. Most SH4 mods do not include the executable, other than maybe KSDII... change the settings in SH4 though, and it should run fine. The difficult part is the experimentation. That is part of the realm of old DirectX 9 game in the 'modern' OS though. Windows wants you to upgrade to newer games, and the old game manufacturers do also... hence Ubisoft hasn't touched SH4 since 2008...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 09:49 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Captain Torpedo!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote