SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-21, 06:01 PM   #1
OldTrawler
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Larger gauges for Silent Hunter 3 (steam ed.)

Hello all.
I've had this game now for approximately three weeks (thanks to my son) and I'm enjoying playing it. Unfortunately, my eyesight isn't very good and the gauges (even in full screen) are not large enough for me to see very clearly. I play the game in window mode because stretching a 4:3 aspect ratio graphic onto a 16:9 monitor makes the image a tad to grainy for my eyesight and liking.
Query: Is there a modification that enlarges the gauges or perhaps makes a larger one as a pop-up so that I can read them more easily.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
P.S.
I don't wish to modify the game radically until I've finished playing it through at least once.
OldTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 06:46 PM   #2
diego_gut
Soundman

Downloads: 25

Hello,

If you have a 1080p monitor you can use one of my GUI mods. They have bigger dials. The links are in my signature and you can check the pictures there.

Regards,
Diego
diego_gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 11:20 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

OldTrawler!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 09:21 AM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

If diego_gut's excellant work doesn't help, maybe these will. They can be used for any install with some simple editing if desired.
Old 10-06-21, 12:50 PM   #5
OldTrawler
Watch

Default Many thanks.

Thanks to all of you for responding.

Mr. Diego_gut, I like the images on your GUI modification; I was able to see the gauges quite well even on my little laptop that I use for the internet. Several questions occur to me but I will presume that the instructions included in your mod will answer them? Two points I would like to clarify is the issue about the inclusion of the sh3.exe. Am I correct in assuming that it will do all the things necessary and required to play the game in the higher 1920x1080 (16:9)resolution? My monitor is capable of displaying that but I hope I can drop it down to say 1280x720 if it begins to overload the graphics card. JSGME is another mod I need to obtain in order to install yours?
Thank you for your help and I look forward to being able to read the dials more clearly. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-21, 03:33 PM   #6
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrawler View Post
JSGME is another mod I need to obtain in order to install yours?
Mod enabler JSGME (correct)

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4725
Old 10-07-21, 01:41 PM   #7
diego_gut
Soundman

Hello,

- You are correct, the mod comes ready to go. Sh3.exe comes with the 4Gb patch applied but you need a 64 bit operating system and 8Gb of RAM.
- GUIs in Sh3 are designed for just one resolution, mine need to be run at 1080p. If you need a different resolution you have to use another one.
- JSGME is a mod installer that allows you to uninstall mods if you don't want them anymore. It is not necessary but it is highly recommended.

Regards
Old 10-07-21, 07:09 PM   #8
OldTrawler
Watch

Default Many, many thanks.

I wish to thank all of you that sent replies offering your help. To the author of the JSMGE mod installer, thank you.
Most of all I wish to thank Mr. Diego_gut for that wonder modification of his and everyone that contributed to its making. I have cataracts but now I can, to some extent, see the game wonderfully and in full screen. I cannot express my thanks fully enough. Thank you.

On a side note, can anyone explain what the the pull-down with all the numbered squares is and what is it's function. Also there are boxes along the lower right-hand edge marked (in descending order) 30kts, 44kts, x6, x1.5; can someone tell me the function (if any).

Again, many, many thanks.
Old 10-07-21, 09:05 PM   #9
FilmsGaming
Swabbie

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrawler View Post
I wish to thank all of you that sent replies offering your help. To the author of the JSMGE mod installer, thank you.
Most of all I wish to thank Mr. Diego_gut for that wonder modification of his and everyone that contributed to its making. I have cataracts but now I can, to some extent, see the game wonderfully and in full screen. I cannot express my thanks fully enough. Thank you.

On a side note, can anyone explain what the the pull-down with all the numbered squares is and what is it's function. Also there are boxes along the lower right-hand edge marked (in descending order) 30kts, 44kts, x6, x1.5; can someone tell me the function (if any).

Again, many, many thanks.
The pull-down Square is for the naval grids on the map its kinda hard to explain but lets say a ubout called out a convoy on the radio and it says the location of convoy is at grid AL2231 you would zoom into grid AL Find grid 22 and use the naval grid to overlay one the squares that match size and shape of the grid then you mark the spot that says 2 on the pull-down square thats a close estimate of of area AL2231.

if you want a more in-depth explanation of naval squares you can read it here
http://www.navalgrid.com/about

Cheers
FilmsGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 09:12 PM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmsGaming View Post
The pull-down Square is for the naval grids on the map its kinda hard to explain but lets say a ubout called out a convoy on the radio and it says the location of convoy is at grid AL2231 you would zoom into grid AL Find grid 22 and use the naval grid to overlay one the squares that match size and shape of the grid then you mark the spot that says 2 on the pull-down square thats a close estimate of of area AL2231.

if you want a more in-depth explanation of naval squares you can read it here
http://www.navalgrid.com/about

Cheers
The 30 & 44 knts, I believe.. refers to TI & TII torp speeds... & the chart for that, I think would be (if TI is used) of how long to target it would take, depending on the corresponding chart that deals with what I think would be the ships speed... if I'm not mistaken... the x6 & x1.5 part... am not sure of...

M. M.
Old 10-07-21, 09:52 PM   #11
OldTrawler
Watch

Default Finding Out

Cmdr's MadMardigan & FilmsGaming, thanks for the info.
I've was playing around with the new "toy"s when I accidentally discovered that you can pull them out! Yes, Cmdr. Gaming they refer to torpedo speeds and I'll have to figure out how to use them. I've gone to the site for the grid that you provide Cmdr. Mardigan and will give it a thorough reading to understand it's usage. Thanks so much to both of you.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/ima...humbs_Up-1.gif
Old 10-08-21, 06:14 PM   #12
diego_gut
Soundman

You are welcome!

The x1.5 and x6 charts are used to find the distance using the periscopes' graticle. Try it with the torpedo tutorial, as soon as it starts you will see a ship that is 800 meters away. Set the periscope for x6 zoom and count the milliradians in the vertical scale, then you can use the table to find the distance.

Regards