SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-21, 03:38 PM   #16
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
well doing a large mega mod takes a lot of endless hours of hard work plus endless hours of testing and thats a lot to take on if no one will be using it

unlike FOTRS, TMO, or RFB, which all changed the dificulty or playability of the game, i wanted a mod that fixed everything with the game but didnt change the dificulty or playability of the game in any way and thats what GFO is. the idea was to fix the game fully, then you can do your own modding or add mods after to change dificulty or playability of the game as you see fit
if you want to do it, then do it.
there will always be whiners and complainers.
take a browse through the SH4 Mods Workshop forum and just read some of the Titles and you will understand what i mean.

i play GFO every so often but i also mod a few of the options. no offense intended.

as i said above, if you want to clean up/improve GFO, i say, do it and bollocks to the naysayers. wait, didn't someone else say that?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 04:27 PM   #17
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

I find that much of what I desire is cosmetic in nature (hangs head in shame) and, of course, smooth play without CTDs.

Cosmetically, I want realistic uniforms, accurate interiors, more interior, immersive environment (ocean, etc), realistic sounds, voices and lots of ship types that look accurate.

A challenging game is always welcome, of course. But if GFO offers me a really good looking and sounding version of vanilla of course I will promote it as much as any other mod I enjoy. Maybe more so to new players.
Old 07-19-21, 10:41 PM   #18
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i play GFO every so often but i also mod a few of the options. no offense intended.
that was the whole basis of the GFO mod, to give you a new starting point with all the things fixed i could fix. im not offended you add mods to it, im happy to hear you are doing just that

i been around a long time so i dont care much about credits and whatnot, i do what i do to share with the community, and for my own use naturally.

im just a bit out of adjustment at how the interest in the game has fallen off, but its a pretty old game now so it cant stay popular forever
Old 07-19-21, 11:59 PM   #19
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
... it cant stay popular forever
Best submarine sim (when modded) to date. Don't see any other competition.
Old 07-20-21, 02:13 PM   #20
Arlo
The Old Man

I am still interested in this. I support Webster's GFO.

Old 07-21-21, 11:56 AM   #21
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Where is the WayBack Machine you found for that, Arlo? - Excellent find!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 12:04 PM   #22
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Where is the WayBack Machine you found for that, Arlo? - Excellent find!
Actually, I whipped up a design and uploaded it to Redbubble ... set to private.
Old 07-21-21, 04:38 PM   #23
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
What we have found Webster, which is still "historical", in that it has always been like this, but we get a "normal" amount of downloads for FotRSU, but most of the posts are reporting issues. Therefore, if you break something in the mod, you will hear about it... - but if all goes well for most folks, you can hear a pin drop around here... - just normal, even though the traffic volume has dropped... Now, one way around that is to take Facebook and the other "media" sites out of the equation, make them irrelevant, so that the users have to come back to SubSim...
Damn right, one mistake, and the thread will explode, do something right, it's a ghost town...
Old 07-21-21, 04:58 PM   #24
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
the title says it all - GFO mod users complaints, dislikes, and requests

i want to hear what you dont like about it and what doesnt work or has issues as well as what you would like to see added to it

im trying to put a list together of issues and things so f i do and updated GFO

but keep in mind the core theme of GFO is just fixing the known bugs and issues with the gae rather then change the dificulty, game play, or customizing the game
Hello Webster,

as propbeanie has said over several threads
I do have stock game fixes, these mainly involve simple text edits, for the sensor & equipment files, plus loadout edits, plus missing sensor files etc.

I will PM you with a download link, and an example of some of the errors I fixed. Please be mindful, that most of these errors were found with the fantastic tools released by:
TDW SHValidator v2.0.6.0 by TheDarkWraith
mySHTooL_v1_9 by Hebe Vollmaus

And as the others have said, we still get new people arriving to the SH4 forums, your mod is a tried and tested launch pad for them. Without this, they would be dealt a stock game, and the many issues that stem from that.
Old 07-21-21, 11:01 PM   #25
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Hello Webster,

as propbeanie has said over several threads
I do have stock game fixes, these mainly involve simple text edits, for the sensor & equipment files, plus loadout edits, plus missing sensor files etc.

I will PM you with a download link, and an example of some of the errors I fixed. Please be mindful, that most of these errors were found with the fantastic tools released by:
TDW SHValidator v2.0.6.0 by TheDarkWraith
mySHTooL_v1_9 by Hebe Vollmaus

And as the others have said, we still get new people arriving to the SH4 forums, your mod is a tried and tested launch pad for them. Without this, they would be dealt a stock game, and the many issues that stem from that.

thanks, i will definitely be wanting to bend your ear and learn what you found out. when i did my maneuvering mod i was only working with hp changes and as i said above, that accidentally broke the ships sounds on sonar use.

im glad to here someone else here was frustrated enough as i was to try and fix it, sounds like your way is better then what i tried
Old 07-22-21, 01:33 AM   #26
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
What we have found Webster, which is still "historical", in that it has always been like this, but we get a "normal" amount of downloads for FotRSU, but most of the posts are reporting issues. Therefore, if you break something in the mod, you will hear about it... - but if all goes well for most folks, you can hear a pin drop around here... - just normal, even though the traffic volume has dropped... Now, one way around that is to take Facebook and the other "media" sites out of the equation, make them irrelevant, so that the users have to come back to SubSim...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Damn right, one mistake, and the thread will explode, do something right, it's a ghost town...
Ahoy, propbeanie, s7rikeback & Webster...

The way I see it, is.. that if there is an error, it is best policy to let it be known of.. so that can be corrected. I, & can only speak for Myself here.. will do so as tactfully & politely as can be.

With the 'if things go right, you could hear a pin drop', that's just simply enjoying things rolling right & enjoying it... well, it's not hard to get sucked in & forget to mention that things are going good. Again, as above, can only speak for Myself here... & I try not to forget to let it be known that things are, 'right, as rain'.. but, it does happen.

So I hope Webster, that you won't let the not hearing anything, dissuade you from working up a rework on GFO, as I for , as well as others who have commented, would love to see you do so.. & know that it will be appreciated.

M. M.

Old 07-22-21, 07:08 PM   #27
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
So I hope Webster, that you won't let the not hearing anything, dissuade you from working up a rework on GFO, as I for , as well as others who have commented, would love to see you do so.. & know that it will be appreciated.

M. M.

well i need feedback for what issues there are besides the ship sounds that were broken by my maneuvering mod. vickers03 made a corrected sound file to sort the issue but that has to be manually added and JSGME cant do it so i know thats a big issue but what else?

i need you guys that use my mod to tell me what, that is already in GFO, doesnt work so i can se where to start

thats what this thread is asking for, tell me what needs fixing so i can fix it, i dont want to just rely on my own eyes as we all play the game differently and may see or find different things that matter
Old 07-22-21, 09:00 PM   #28
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
well i need feedback for what issues there are besides the ship sounds that were broken by my maneuvering mod. vickers03 made a corrected sound file to sort the issue but that has to be manually added and JSGME cant do it so i know thats a big issue but what else?

i need you guys that use my mod to tell me what, that is already in GFO, doesnt work so i can se where to start

thats what this thread is asking for, tell me what needs fixing so i can fix it, i dont want to just rely on my own eyes as we all play the game differently and may see or find different things that matter
I know at 1 time, I ran a set up with GFO, not long after I joined subsim, iirc... it has been some time back, mind you... 7 years almost now... sheesh, where did the time go..

Am in the process of setting up GFO again, so gimme a bit to do so & will see if there is anything that stands out to Me. Will let you know what I find... that does so.

M. M.

Old 07-22-21, 10:31 PM   #29
Blitz_KG200
Swabbie

Downloads: 374

First of all, thanks for GFO, it polished the vanilla experience of SH4 at a point in I prefer it over others mega mods that increase in excess the dificulty. At this point, I prefer a more light gameplay and GFO fits perfectly. One thing I want is the possibility to add custom emblems, like the one provided whit TMO. I think it fits the GFO theme because the option is already built in the game but not active. Simply adding a blank file option for JGSME will do it, if possible. There are some things whit the u-boats also but I can recall at the moment, let me see and I try to add a small list. S!
"...a lot of people seem to think it’s magic—and there is an element of magic in it. It’s magic to play it but putting it together is hard work. And you have to understand that we can’t do everything or we’ll have nothing." - Rick Martinez (SSI)
Blitz_KG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-21, 11:20 PM   #30
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
I know at 1 time, I ran a set up with GFO, not long after I joined subsim, iirc... it has been some time back, mind you... 7 years almost now... sheesh, where did the time go..

Am in the process of setting up GFO again, so gimme a bit to do so & will see if there is anything that stands out to Me. Will let you know what I find... that does so.

M. M.

thanks, another set of eyes can always see things better and see different things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz_KG200 View Post
First of all, thanks for GFO, it polished the vanilla experience of SH4 at a point in I prefer it over others mega mods that increase in excess the dificulty. At this point, I prefer a more light gameplay and GFO fits perfectly. One thing I want is the possibility to add custom emblems, like the one provided whit TMO. I think it fits the GFO theme because the option is already built in the game but not active. Simply adding a blank file option for JGSME will do it, if possible. There are some things whit the u-boats also but I can recall at the moment, let me see and I try to add a small list. S!
thank you, GFO is very mod friendly so you can do a very simple mod just to add custom emblems so the idea is you finish off the final details like that to each persons own liking since thats a custom thing

the idea was to use GFO as the base mod, then tweak to each persons personal likes. after all everyone likes different things

im more thinking in terms of bugs issues errors rather them add a bunch of customizing stuff to the main mod. but its an interesting idea to consider.

trouble is, once you start with that, you start getting into too much stuff getting away from the core purpose of the mod in that its designed to be the first of several mods to add together

Last edited by Webster; 07-22-21 at 11:29 PM.