SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-21, 09:32 PM   #2416
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
The bad news is I'm not working on the Merchant Fleet Mod anymore. The recent update (which corrected some of the damage model errors) is the last one. Those ships are more than 10 years old, and only slightly higher poly than standard SH3 ships IIRC.

The good news is I will be replacing it! That's my long term goal after Wolves of the Kaiser- high quality merchant ship models for the Silent Hunter series. I intend for them to take advantage of many new improvements/lessons I have learned ... new structural features, new crew/passengers, new particle effects, and various other surprises.

The aim is to have a library of plausible ship types dating from circa 1900 - 1945. I have a small library of books on WWI and WWII merchant ships, so I'm well equipped. They will be released for Silent Hunter 3/4/5 as a mod, but the .obj files and skins will be available for free to anyone who is producing a WWII submarine sim. By freeing up resources for developers to concentrate on other items, I hope to improve the quality of submarine sims as a whole.

Very nice... & understandable, as you pointed out the original MFM, is a bit older.

With the wealth of info you have... does that include... shadow_whx's identification listing, as well.? Know that they were looking to compile a list of ships that needed correcting or being booted as to not being right.. as I understood that work to be. Just wondering...

M. M.

Old 08-23-21, 10:58 PM   #2417
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

Very nice... & understandable, as you pointed out the original MFM, is a bit older.

With the wealth of info you have... does that include... shadow_whx's identification listing, as well.? Know that they were looking to compile a list of ships that needed correcting or being booted as to not being right.. as I understood that work to be. Just wondering...

M. M.

I will certainly take his ideas into account - he has a good eye for what WWII era ships looked like (or did not look like).

If you're not careful it's easy to make a cargo ship where the crane arrangement doesn't make sense, for example. Or where the deckhouses are too small/too large for real human beings. shadow_whx (and a select few other commenters) are good at noticing that stuff.

I will also adjust unit designations so you don't run into certain rare ships too often; stock SH3 and SH4, for example, have way too many T2 and T3 tankers spawned....a good merchant roster includes many non-standardized generic looking ships.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 11:12 PM   #2418
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Well, I decided to include the "big one" - lol. You too can own the Cadillac of U-Boots. Kind of a "how the sausage is made" update. If you have a weak stomach, don't look.

Keep in mind that I'm still an amateur at this; pretty much modeling in spare time between a demanding job....

Examining the stock SH4 Type IX for reference purposes.

Gradual completion of the hull. First effort at TT's was a disaster; no excuse for it since I did well with modeling TT's for the U-31 class model. Now I've improved them.

(incorrectly Id'd as U-155 - clearly not)

Hull form at bow and stern still VERY MUCH incomplete. Will probably cut away & replace any bad surfaces at the tip of the bow/stern ....

Drainage holes/freeing ports are my next project when I finish with work tomorrow. I will use the hole arrangement for Unterseeboot 139 because I have the most references for it (and in my opinion she was the best looking of this class).

I find that even professional drawings and models show a lot of variation in how this class looked - just goes to show what it's like modeling WWI boats as opposed to popular, well-documented boats like the Gato Class or Type VII's.
Old 08-23-21, 11:45 PM   #2419
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
I will certainly take his ideas into account - he has a good eye for what WWII era ships looked like (or did not look like).

If you're not careful it's easy to make a cargo ship where the crane arrangement doesn't make sense, for example. Or where the deckhouses are too small/too large for real human beings. shadow_whx (and a select few other commenters) are good at noticing that stuff.

I will also adjust unit designations so you don't run into certain rare ships too often; stock SH3 and SH4, for example, have way too many T2 and T3 tankers spawned....a good merchant roster includes many non-standardized generic looking ships.
On that.. I can agree... a convoy having 1 T3 & 1 T2, alright... more than that... especially early on in the war, is wayyyy too many to be frank about it.

Now, later on, say late '43, early on '44... then a couple (say 2, of each to maybe 3 of 1 type & 2 of the other in either 3 T3's & 2 T2 tankers.. or 2 T3's & 3 T2's... heck even a 4-1 ratio), I could see.. as convoys were making it through not to mention also size of the convoys was increased drastically, to compensate for the early on losses suffered.

Seeing those increase sized convoys, would be understandable.. if you were fortunate enough to survive to that point in the war or further.

M. M.

Old 08-27-21, 07:29 PM   #2420
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Another throwaway update; what has been worked on this week plus what's to come...

Finally finished the vent holes on the "Cadillac" - lol. Model is a lot higher poly than the older subs; I will probably have a separate deck object file. And new higher detail torpedo tubes.

Lower detail sub models below for comparison; decided I can salvage U-53 and U-35 models, but they both need to be made much more hi-poly so they are acceptable player vessels.

Old 08-27-21, 07:32 PM   #2421
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Old 08-27-21, 07:34 PM   #2422
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

HMS Invincible, HMS Monmouth; & new animated crew jumping off ship.
Old 08-27-21, 10:48 PM   #2423
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Well, considering I'm a sucker for cruiser submarines, I think I'm looking at my first command!
(And I don't know if it's already come up but having Deutschland/U-151 would be a lot of fun in my mind, as well )
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 11:00 AM   #2424
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Glad you seem to like it! More good news: I now have a separate install on my hard drive exclusively for environmental modding. The plan is to create water and effects inspired by the best SH5 mods. So far the water development' gone much better than it did in the past - and I have a trick up my sleeve to make sunlight on water look better. I hope to have more screenshots and info very soon.
Old 08-30-21, 11:11 AM   #2425
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

awesome work!
vickers03 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 01:20 PM   #2426
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

your work is incredible, as always

The only things seem to be "incorrect" about your model are the bow and the forward part of the Project 46, that, talking about the real one were " similar" in shape to the BIII type.

I hope not to seem impertinent

Talking about Maps: some times ago you said you need some maps of northern European port.

is this the kind of map you need ?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 09-05-21 at 12:55 PM.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-21, 11:07 PM   #2427
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
your work is incredible, as always

The only things seem to be "incorrect" about your model are the bow and the forward part of the Project 46, that, talking about the real one were " similar" in shape to the BIII type.

I hope not to seem impertinent

Talking about Maps: some times ago you said you need some maps of northern European port.

is this the kind of map you need ?
Not at all! I see what you mean; the bow should be more "ridged" towards the tip. That will be this weekend's project. Along with the conning tower. I am pretty happy with it; my old conning towers were too simplistic....the new one for the U-139 class is currently about 20,000 polys so it's about as complex as the improved Type VII conning towers that were modded into SH3 and SH4 German WW2 mods.

I'm still a beginner at modeling subs but I guess I've learned a thing or two-lol.

The current CT will have things like 3d rivets, metal meshes, grab-irons, voice tubes, compass, ship's wheel, several destructible panels, and more.

My old CT's, where most of these details were just painted on as part of the skin, will not be used .... 3d parts are more interesting, of course.

And Oliver thanks for that map; that is the type of item I need. The larger the better - especially maps showing about how large the different coastal towns were.
Old 09-05-21, 07:10 AM   #2428
shoiga
Helmsman

Downloads: 838

Hi

Could you release any playable WW1 U-Boat mod that include in this mod ?

I know that this mod project is too huge to finish yet, but I would like to at least use the U-Boat.

Thx

Last edited by shoiga; 09-05-21 at 07:47 AM.
shoiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 11:04 AM   #2429
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

Quote:
And Oliver thanks for that map; that is the type of item I need. The larger the better - especially maps showing about how large the different coastal towns were.
Here there are some others.

I posted here, because I had some problem with sending them with private messages; I hope it will not clog your thread

btw I have an other question the new merchant fleet: viewing your Facebook's page I saw that some years ago you received from an other modder, two or three coasters along with some French ships. Will these small merchants be part of the mod's fleet ?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 09-08-21 at 11:14 AM.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 07:55 PM   #2430
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoiga View Post
Hi

Could you release any playable WW1 U-Boat mod that include in this mod ?

I know that this mod project is too huge to finish yet, but I would like to at least use the U-Boat.

Thx
I will think about it.

Thank you for the maps Oliver! My goal is to add a lot more interesting nautical items to the map, near coastal towns & villages. I want to make it interesting just to sail and admire the scenery even when there is no combat involved. Likely things to add:

-Many more lighthouse styles
-More random piers/wharfs, not just located in the default ports
-Lifeboat stations
-New lightships
-Buoys
-Wrecks
-Derelict Ships
-Patches of flotsam/empty lifeboats
-Shoals & Rocks
-Forts & gun barges
-Fishing activities, both ashore and from boats
-Seaplane bases

Reach goals (if there is time!)

-Railroad network with destructible items
-More animated sea life
-Random weather fronts with snow/rain
-High detailed United States coast for 1918 Cruiser Submarine campaign

I am trying to think of more scenery items to make things interesting; feel free to chip in. Of course, submarines and combat will be the main focus of the game and I'm well aware that discipline regarding feasible content is needed - I'm not trying to make this turn into "Silent Hunter: Thomas the Tank Engine Edition". But all reasonable proposals are welcome.

And about the coasters by another modder: I need to go digging on an old HD to see if I have them - I think they were some of the items destroyed in that hack attack.