SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-21, 12:28 PM   #2401
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0

Talking about ships, I have some questions:

- Will warships display the name or the hull markers, just like merchants ?

- There will be ship's name on the Cpt. Log, or just the class, as in the original game ?

- And for the submarines' markers: will we choose the sub's number at the captain's room ( just like the emblems in OM or subs Id markers for SW ) or there will be no markers on our sub ?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 01:27 PM   #2402
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Talking about ships, I have some questions:

- Will warships display the name or the hull markers, just like merchants ?

- There will be ship's name on the Cpt. Log, or just the class, as in the original game ?

- And for the submarines' markers: will we choose the sub's number at the captain's room ( just like the emblems in OM or subs Id markers for SW ) or there will be no markers on our sub ?
Warships will have pennant numbers and even names in some cases. At other times they will have no names/pennants for security reasons - it just depends on what the camouflage demands/policy were.

I don't think there is a way to get merchant ship names in the log except for famous ships of which only 1-2 were built (like Lusitania). If you want to record the names of minor ships you will need to write/type them yourself in a separate log (unless someone can help me with a program).

I will try to have sub numbers for early in the war; I have documented evidence they were used in 1914 after the outbreak, but many wartime pictures show no number - I think they may have been painted out for security reasons (correct me if I'm wrong).

Another interesting feature? I will be including the Royal Navy's funnel band system, which could be used to identify exact ships in a Battleship or Cruiser class! Many people don't pay attention to this feature....but up to 1914, the Royal Navy often marked its major warships with a system of white, red, or orange funnel bands to tell them apart. Look at the pictures below. Two sister ships, but HMS Hampshire has funnel bands on #1 and #4 funnel, while HMS Roxburgh has funnel bands on the middle funnels (#2 and #3) - thus, with a simple ID manual sailors could tell them apart at a glance.

The system was discontinued by the end of 1914.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-21, 03:32 PM   #2403
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Thanks soo much! If you can figure this out you will be my hero forever! If you ever come out to the Pacific Northwest your bar tab is on me !!! Totally! I have tried to understand what flakmonkey did but it's slow going & I have a lot to learn. I'm envisioning nothing too fancy - maybe 2 or three speeds for the diesel rocking arms when the engine is turned on.
The animations (which would need to be created) are controlled by StateMachineClass controllers found in DD_Engine4.dat just about as I remembered.
It get's tricky from there!! In the NSS_Uboat7_RR.dat is a StateMachineCtl that calls the GraphName DD_Engine which is in the DD_Engine4.dat which calls the animations in DD_Engine4.anm based on the conditions!

Truly Masterful work by DivingDuck!

It would be easiest to use his files as a way to duplicate his Magic.
You'd need to do all the 3D model work then create the animations themselves.
Not a simple job but it can be and has been done before.
Old 08-14-21, 06:19 PM   #2404
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Quote:
I will try to have sub numbers for early in the war; I have documented evidence they were used in 1914 after the outbreak, but many wartime pictures show no number - I think they may have been painted out for security reasons (correct me if I'm wrong).
Well: all depends with the sub type and period.
As you said, at the outbreak of the War, at last every class from Type U-3 to type U-27 had their sub numbers painted in white, with a smaller marker ( ex. " U-22 " ) right behind the number, on the two sides of the bow. ( an exception to these was the formerly Norwegian sub " U-A", that had an "A" painted on the two sides of the bow).

This system, similar to other navies, like the Royal Navy itself, was used until the end of 1915.

By the entrance in service of type U-31, and especially from 1916, the marking system changed: the smaller marker on the bow remained, but the " lager one" was modified, with the addiction of an "U", reduced and shifted of the to sides of conning tower. it was painted in white or black ( it depends on what type of paint scheme had the submarine itself). This system was used also for the "E" and "Kreuzer" types.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205193798

The "B" and "C" Types had a similar system, with the number of the addiction of the " UB " or "UC" painted in the conning tower, but with no id markers on the bow.

An exception to this sceme was the "B-1" type: they had a large number painted usually in white on the two sides of the conning tower, and a small "UB" on the two sides of the bow ( note that the "ub" was not painted, but printed on the hull )

In the end the system of marking the u-boats was never abandoned by the Imperial German Navy, but the marks were often in black to reduced the possibility to be spotted by an enemy ship.

Hope it could be useful, and sorry if the images are too big, but i don't know any method to reduce their size, while copying them

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 08-16-21 at 11:10 AM.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 06:38 AM   #2405
Ypsan
Swabbie

Downloads: 60

I am posting crew numbers I found in encyclopedia I purchased recently. Crew numbers are listed on the specs page of each submarine type listed below.

I assume, apart from the crew, you already obtained other specs for relevant submarines? But just in case I'll post an example of a specs page for type UB1 submarine along with a few interesting UB1 photos, in the next post. If it's something you find helpful just let me know which submarines you need the complete specs for and I will post screenshots. It's in Croatian language but shouldn't be a problem to figure out whats what. I'll translate if necessary ofc.

CREW COMPLEMENT (officers + enlisted)

Germany:
U-19 (4 + 31)
U-31 (4 + 31)
U-45 (4 + 32)
U-63 (4 + 41)
UE-1 (3 + 29)
U-71 (3 + 29)
U-73 (3 + 29)
UB-I (3 + 13)
UB-II (5 + 14)
UB-III (4 + 30)
UC-I (1 + 13)
UC-II (2 + 24)
UC-III (2 + 24)

Britain:
B-Class (2 + 13)
C-Class (2 + 13)
E-Class, E1 - E20 (2 + 28)
E-Class, E21 - E56 (3 + 28)
H-Class (2 + 20)
J-Class (5 + 39)
M-Class (68) *not a typo, perhaps no info on exact number of officers

France:
Aigrette (2 + 12)
Emeraude (2 + 23)
Circe (2 + 20)
Pluviose (2 + 23)
Brumaire (2 + 27)
Archimede (3 + 23)
Mariotte (2 + 27)
Zede (3 + 44)
Clorinde (3 + 26)
Clorinde 2 Type M (2 + 25)
Bellone (3 + 35)
Diane (4 + 39)
Armide (2 + 25)

Russia:
Kasatka (2 + 18)
Krab (4 + 49)
Nerpa (4 + 35)
Narval (4 + 37)
Beluga (2 + 20)
Karp (3 + 20)
Bars (4 + 41)
Holland 602 F AG1 (2 + 25)
Type 27 V Class Br. 1 (1 + 7)

Italy:
Delfino (2 + 9)
Glauco (2 + 13)
Medusa (2 + 19)
Atropo (2 + 12)
Nautilus (2 + 17)
Pullino (2 + 19)
Argonauta (2 + 22)
Balilla (3 + 35)
Pacinotti (4 + 35)
Class A (1 + 3)
Class B (1 + 4)
Class F (2 + 26)
Class H (2 + 25)
Class N (2 + 21)
Class S (2 + 24)
Class W (2+21)
Class X1 & X2 (2 + 23)

Austria-Hungary:
Lake, U-1 Class (3 + 14)
Germania, U-3 Class (3 + 18)
Holland, U-5 Class, Ub.5 & Ub.6 (4 + 15)
Holland, U-5 Class, Ub.12 (2 + 15)
Brumaire, U-14 Class (4 + 24)
Havmanden, U-20 Class (3 + 15)
Ypsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 06:40 AM   #2406
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

I just finished building the U 9 model you show pictures of at the top of your response. 1/72 scale-smallest scale I have confidence in anymore to build. Getting old is not for sissies.
Old 08-15-21, 08:00 AM   #2407
Ypsan
Swabbie

UB-I Class submarines
(sorry for large pics, this is the best I could compress them)

UB-17 in service since June 4th, 1915.

UB-8 (OltS Ernst von Voigt) in service since April 23rd, 1915. Part of Pola-Flottille until June 4th 1915. Then part of Konstantinopel-Flottille until May 25th, 1916 when it was given to Bulgarian Navy and renamed Podvodnik No 18.

UB-3 in Pola harbour April 1915. In service since May 14th, 1915.

UB-12 (LSLt Egon Lerch) lost with all hands in Italian minefield near Venice on August 8th, 1915.

Old 08-15-21, 12:07 PM   #2408
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Now let's talk about how to build your animations. I'll explain the easy way.
Well. The easiest way I would take.
You would need to grab the 3D model parts in the RR.dat and then meld them with the data in the DD_Engine4.anm

That would allow you to export the 3D model and all animation frames to the obj format.
That would give you a base to build your new 3D model and animation frames.

Then it's just re-import with S3D and chop things up again.
After that it's just fine tuning stuff.
Old 08-18-21, 05:52 AM   #2409
Ypsan
Swabbie

Default WWI Flotilla organization August 1914

WWI submarine flotilla organization, August 1914.

Not to clutter forum thread with text pics I'm posting a link (let me know if it doesn't work). Also, I'm not sure if you still need this but it is still listed in requirements on the first page.

It's in Croatian in case you need google translate for certain words here and there but its just a straight forward list for all major nations.

https://imgur.com/a/mEmi1AQ

Last edited by Ypsan; 08-18-21 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-18-21, 02:47 PM   #2410
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Many thanks to Jeff Groves, Oliver, Ypsan, Rconch, & all the other contributors! Things are humming along and the crew data & c is most welcome - you have also posted some images I don't have yet!

One big need - I would like to get detailed maps of North Sea coastlines to get an idea of major features, towns, & cities around 1900 - 1918. I do NOT need Britain or Italy, I have the entire British coast thanks to Ordnance Maps. I need something equal to Ordnance Maps for other countries especially France, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, & Germany. Here is a link to the Ordnance Maps so you can see what I am talking about:

https://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/

In other news the battleships HMS Colossus & HMS Hercules have been almost 100% "polished" and I will be showing the finalized models soon.
Old 08-18-21, 06:25 PM   #2411
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Sooo...here are the two weird sisters. Strange how the British repeated the error of having the gunnery tripod behind a funnel, as in "Dreadnought". And did the same thing AGAIN with the "Orion" Class.

I found out they did not have guns on turret tops like "Dreadnought", so I got rid of them.

Anyhow, still need to correct a few oddball things but I'm pretty sure this is what they will look like in game. A modernized version is possible with no torpedo nets and lower masts (torpedo nets were useless against most types of torpedoes, and were generally taken off by 1916).

Old 08-18-21, 06:38 PM   #2412
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Damage testing "Hercules" & "Colossus". Note the crewmembers jumping overboard to abandon ship; a new particle effect I created. There are plans to expand this feature so that ship sinkings are much more dramatic....also I believe it is possible to have real lifeboat lowering in SH4! Not just boats spawning automatically when a ship sinks. I will need to do more testing but I'm reasonably certain it can be done.

Glad to report that these ships are much better modeled than my ships for the Merchant Fleet Mod internally. You will always see them tilt or roll correctly depending on where they are hit. Compartments in the .zon file match the actual location in the hull.

I've also added progressive flooding for ships with hull openings like battleships and armoured cruisers.

Ships with gun ports will now suffer sudden, severe flooding once water reaches their casemates or gun ports. At that point, slow flooding can become catastrophic, causing a large ship to capsize (as seen here). This makes for new possibilities & strategy when the player conducts torpedo attacks.

Old 08-18-21, 06:40 PM   #2413
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

...now back to more work on player units! It's a bit hectic working on many different ship types but it's exciting - nice to see things really coming together. Expect additional images soon here and on the facebook site.
Old 08-18-21, 07:09 PM   #2414
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Damage testing "Hercules" & "Colossus". Note the crewmembers jumping overboard to abandon ship; a new particle effect I created. There are plans to expand this feature so that ship sinkings are much more dramatic....also I believe it is possible to have real lifeboat lowering in SH4! Not just boats spawning automatically when a ship sinks. I will need to do more testing but I'm reasonably certain it can be done.

Glad to report that these ships are much better modeled than my ships for the Merchant Fleet Mod internally. You will always see them tilt or roll correctly depending on where they are hit. Compartments in the .zon file match the actual location in the hull.

I've also added progressive flooding for ships with hull openings like battleships and armoured cruisers.

Ships with gun ports will now suffer sudden, severe flooding once water reaches their casemates or gun ports. At that point, slow flooding can become catastrophic, causing a large ship to capsize (as seen here). This makes for new possibilities & strategy when the player conducts torpedo attacks.
Whoahhh... Sooo looking forward to seeing crew actually jumping ship at the command 'Abandon ship'...

With the latest ships you worked on\working on.. so, you're saying with them ships.. that they will actually behave with the damage & pitch or roll accordingly...

With that info, is it conceivable... that you may go back to the merchant fleet & rework their sinking mechanics for them, as well.

If so, then talk about a game changer...

OT saying you have to, but... if you are considering it... consider Me.. color Me interested.

On doing all this work, on just this particular mod set... know you have my thanks to you, without end IABL.

M. M.

Old 08-18-21, 08:52 PM   #2415
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Whoahhh... Sooo looking forward to seeing crew actually jumping ship at the command 'Abandon ship'...

With the latest ships you worked on\working on.. so, you're saying with them ships.. that they will actually behave with the damage & pitch or roll accordingly...

With that info, is it conceivable... that you may go back to the merchant fleet & rework their sinking mechanics for them, as well.

If so, then talk about a game changer...

OT saying you have to, but... if you are considering it... consider Me.. color Me interested.

On doing all this work, on just this particular mod set... know you have my thanks to you, without end IABL.

M. M.

The bad news is I'm not working on the Merchant Fleet Mod anymore. The recent update (which corrected some of the damage model errors) is the last one. Those ships are more than 10 years old, and only slightly higher poly than standard SH3 ships IIRC.

The good news is I will be replacing it! That's my long term goal after Wolves of the Kaiser- high quality merchant ship models for the Silent Hunter series. I intend for them to take advantage of many new improvements/lessons I have learned ... new structural features, new crew/passengers, new particle effects, and various other surprises.

The aim is to have a library of plausible ship types dating from circa 1900 - 1945. I have a small library of books on WWI and WWII merchant ships, so I'm well equipped. They will be released for Silent Hunter 3/4/5 as a mod, but the .obj files and skins will be available for free to anyone who is producing a WWII submarine sim. By freeing up resources for developers to concentrate on other items, I hope to improve the quality of submarine sims as a whole.