SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-21, 01:42 PM   #1
metronom
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Problems with GWX and SH3Commander

So i just installed GWX today and that seems to run just fine, so now i wanted to use SH3Commander with it to improve my crew and to use some of it's features like no fatigue and such... Apparently that breaks my game somehow. Whenever i try to load up a Career or a Mission i get to the loading screen, it loads to about 3/4 and then crashes on me. Not using any of the mods provided via GWX/JSGME, only GWX and some features from the Commander. I like to have a perfect crew so i give them medals and 3 abilities where it's possible and promote them to max. Worked fine without GWX. I'm using GWX 3.0 and SH3Cmdr Config Files for GWX. Running on Windows 10. Also tried to apply the 4gb patch which didn't work. Been trying for hours now and once i played with GWX and SH3Cmdr and it crashes on me it seems the only way to make it work again is to completely reinstall SH3 and GWX. Hope someone out there can help me somehow.
metronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 01:51 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi metronom when you downloaded GWX did you also download the GWX Commander Mod Config file so GWX and the Commander Mod talk to each other download links Below Sir

GWX Commander Mod Config File

http://www.thegreywolves.com/downloads/

Also if you are using mods you will need the 4GIG Patch download link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

if you need any more help getting GWX squared away add to this post

at Subsim the Pride runs deep we look after our own Salute
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 01:53 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon12 Welcome aboard!

Metronom! the infamous seven-year-itch strikes again! Your nearly 7 year 'silent run' is ended!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 02:09 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronom View Post
So i just installed GWX today and that seems to run just fine, so now i wanted to use SH3Commander with it to improve my crew and to use some of it's features like no fatigue and such... Apparently that breaks my game somehow. Whenever i try to load up a Career or a Mission i get to the loading screen, it loads to about 3/4 and then crashes on me. Not using any of the mods provided via GWX/JSGME, only GWX and some features from the Commander. I like to have a perfect crew so i give them medals and 3 abilities where it's possible and promote them to max. Worked fine without GWX. I'm using GWX 3.0 and SH3Cmdr Config Files for GWX. Running on Windows 10. Also tried to apply the 4gb patch which didn't work. Been trying for hours now and once i played with GWX and SH3Cmdr and it crashes on me it seems the only way to make it work again is to completely reinstall SH3 and GWX. Hope someone out there can help me somehow.
What Blackswan said...

There is an additional file/s that SH3Cmdr needs in order to work with GWX3... that thought came to mind when I saw your post in the main menu...

On a side note, can do a search for Large Address Aware, download & can install this where ever.. just remember to send a short cut for it to desktop... this is a simple 3 step & done process to assign SH3 (really any game/sim you play for that matter that requires more than 2 GB's that Microshaf... urhm, Microsoft miserly assigns to games/sims) & tells the game/sim to run with 4 GB's of RAM.

Simply open LAA as some refer to it... tell it where your (in this instance, SH3's) .exe is located... select it, go to step 2, check the box & 3... click accept/apply &... DONE.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 10-20-21, 02:53 PM   #5
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Unpack 4Gig Patch in your SH3-GWX Folder then click on 4Gig Patch exe and tell it where your SH3-gwx Install is and your SH3-GWX is Patched

Last edited by blackswan40; 10-20-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-20-21, 04:27 PM   #6
metronom
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi metronom when you downloaded GWX did you also download the GWX Commander Mod Config file so GWX and the Commander Mod talk to each other download links Below Sir

GWX Commander Mod Config File

http://www.thegreywolves.com/downloads/

Also if you are using mods you will need the 4GIG Patch download link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

if you need any more help getting GWX squared away add to this post

at Subsim the Pride runs deep we look after our own Salute

Heya Blackswan40, thanks for your answer.

I did download some Config file but it was this one:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1421

I also tried it with the 4gb Patch before, that was this one: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

So i just installed SH3Cmdr again before starting the complete reinstalling of SH3 and GWX, then i applied the Config File that you linked and then i ran the 4gb Patch. I tried to go on patrol but it crashed while loading, second time mysteriously worked (yay) but it crashed on the way to the patrol area, might be because i used time compression up to 8192 I tried to run it again and it crashed again upon loading into going on patrol. Thinking about just reinstalling it all again in the following order: SH3, 4GBPatch, GWX, SH3Cmdr, SH3Cmdr Config File. That should work right?
Old 10-20-21, 04:28 PM   #7
metronom
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Metronom! the infamous seven-year-itch strikes again! Your nearly 7 year 'silent run' is ended!
Heya, yeah i went wild on that silent run never needed help before really but now i'm kinda strugglin
Old 10-20-21, 04:31 PM   #8
metronom
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
On a side note, can do a search for Large Address Aware, download & can install this where ever.. just remember to send a short cut for it to desktop... this is a simple 3 step & done process to assign SH3 (really any game/sim you play for that matter that requires more than 2 GB's that Microshaf... urhm, Microsoft miserly assigns to games/sims) & tells the game/sim to run with 4 GB's of RAM.
Heya, so this is basically just the 4gb Patch you mean right? or is this something else? Cause i got the 4Gb Patch going already
Old 10-20-21, 04:35 PM   #9
metronom
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Unpack 4Gig Patch in your SH3-GWX Folder then click on 4Gig Patch exe and tell it where your SH3-gwx Install is and your SH3-GWX is Patched

Do i need to do it that way? I just opened it with 7zip and ran it from there telling it where my sh3.exe is, steamapps-common-SH3-sh3.exe, but i didn't put it in the same folder
Old 10-20-21, 05:34 PM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronom View Post
Heya, so this is basically just the 4gb Patch you mean right? or is this something else? Cause i got the 4Gb Patch going already
No, that (Large Address Aware or LAA) is not a patch... it is an executable tool, that works within your computers system (for any & all games/sims) to assign them 4 GB's of RAM access, right off the rip.

What I know is, I use it & with relatively great success in running modded game/sims without any issues. It cuts down the instances of running into CTD's... doesn't knock them out 100%, as that is owing to the fact that CT's can still occur due to improperly rigged mods not working right or... improper mods being used... to mods NOT being activated in the right order.. BUT... it DOES knock them out due to not enough RAM being accessible to the game/sims.

With mods, you have to know for sure, that...
1. The mod has been tested to work with the mod set you're rolling with

2. Is the correct mod for the correct SH3 (or 4 or 5) version that you have...

3. That SH3 (or 4 or 5...) is NOT installed in either of Window's "Program file" locations.. as UAC (Window's file defender, if ya will... ) does NOT like files (or folders, for that matter... ) being, "tampered' with... & using mods, is in essence, tampering with those areas.

4. That you're getting them activated, in as near to or in the exact correct order that you need to have them activated...

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 10-21-21, 05:52 AM   #11
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi metronom the PM i sent you with the download link to SH3 thats now considered abandoneware by ubisoft place the SH3 Folder outside Program Files/86

Make a Games folder on just Drive C:/ and place SH3 in there and unpack it with 7zip then mod it as you see fit

you can run the 4Gig patch from your desktop,downloads anywere just point it to your SH3 Install

Last edited by blackswan40; 10-21-21 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-21-21, 04:09 PM   #12
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Metronom sent you another Pm Sir hope it helps
Old 10-21-21, 08:24 PM   #13
metronom
Swabbie

Thanks a lot for your help guys...seems like i got it working now
Old 10-22-21, 03:15 AM   #14
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi metronom im glad your all squared away with your new install happy hunting in the Atlantic
regards blackswan40
Old 10-22-21, 11:55 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Heya, yeah i went wild on that silent run never needed help before really but now i'm kinda strugglin
That's what every Uboat commander says(or thinks) when forced to the surface!!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote